Levo Gen 3 New brakes... What does everyone run?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I didn’t use braided lines. Can’t see the point.

The frame has tubes in it for routing the hose, you should be able to just push the new hose through. But yes, connecting old to new should do the job nicely.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Using on my Canyon Torque On the Magura MT7 Raceline with SHIMANO XTR M9120 levers and Magura MDR-P 203mm rotors. This combination is working for me.

On the Canyon Spectral ON I use the SHIMANO XTR M9120 brakes. With 203mm XTR rotors. Also working fine. Only thing that I somehow cracked my pistons several times. So I'm converting this now to Magura MT7 Raceline calipers and MDR-P 203mm rotors. with the SHIMANO XTR levers

The choice for brakes etc will be for everyone different. Depends on your own preferences and your own experiences.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Those running the Hope V4s, did you go with the branded lines? And did you just cut the factory cables at the caliper, attach the new cable, and feed it through?
I got a smoking deal on my T4V4s as they were the last set in the shop, if I would have went with the braided hose it would have been closer to retail price as he would have had to order them. I’ve dealt with braided hoses though and trimming them sucks so I probably wouldn’t have chose them anyway.

You don’t have to attach the hoses together, there’s an internal sleeve that the hose slides through. You just push it in and it comes out at the top.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Never SRAM, Saint or other new Shimano 4-pot.
Hopes aren't too strong (unless something changed recently?)

Bubbel

May 12, 2021
Germany
I would always ride Shimano 4 pistons again
XT or XTR
A dream with the TRP R1 disc

IMG_9564.jpeg

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
Just had Lewis LH brakes installed on my Levo SL last week - no lack of stopping power is all I can say so far!
IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0002.jpeg

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
I have some Ali Express Pro E4 brakes which are very similar also tired their ZRace levers with Magura calipers
Yes - but are they as beautiful as the Lewis? Plus I had a dealer source and install the brakes for only about $525 USD

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Very happy with the Hayes A4 Dominions I've recently installed. Nicely designed bleed process, exactly the same as a car caliper.

Teoslav

Nov 4, 2023
Zagreb, Croatia
So I am 25 years old. My first real MTB was a Kona process 167 with sram guide RSC, next bike was with the shimano saints. I rode those 2 brakes for about 6 years. Then I became a magura fanboy mostly because of their price. The last bike I got was fully custom and I bit the bullet and got the Hope 4 V4s. I can not tell you how good those are. The modulation and the powaah, my god. I got them paired with some 2.3mm thick brake discs and some braided cables. I really can not stress enough how good the brakes feel. Even when at the end of the run. Best brakes I have ever tried.

SP5657

Oct 25, 2022
Kent
I swapped from Magura MT-7's to Hope Tech 4 EV 4's with Hope rotors, I personally prefer the Hope set, but the MT7 is still a very good brake set (I have them for sale if you are looking for 2nd hand)

Theo43

Jun 19, 2023
West Marin, CA
I'm running the new Slab Calipers from Cascade Components mixed with XT Levers and Absolute Black Graphene pads...and Intend 2.25 203 rotors.
Odd combo but good....very powerful with good modulation. Hard AF to bleed tho.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I'm running the new Slab Calipers from Cascade Components mixed with XT Levers and Absolute Black Graphene pads...and Intend 2.25 203 rotors.
Odd combo but good....very powerful with good modulation. Hard AF to bleed tho.
I was interested in giving those a try at one point but cascade closed their UK store. You can’t order from the EU store since the UK left the EU union so it has to come from the US store, it ends up costing about $200 more after shipping/custom duties/VAT is added.

tjl5709

Feb 20, 2023
Michigan
I'm late to this, sorry, but if someone searches its something they may want to try if you want to save some coin.

If you are running SRAM Codes, look up on utube "how to make your sram brakes not suck".

When new, my Levo's brakes felt soft and mushy. Found this video.

Its a different way to do adjust them. It worked very well for me. It changed the feel completly.

Spent my upgrade money on a oneup dropper.........

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
My buddies Rail had sram guides that were really weak. He bought some Code stealth ultimate levers and just replaced the levers for a little over $200 bucks. Brakes are awesome now.

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
I went for Trickstuff Maxima (I was lucky to meet a rider who had them and was nice enough to let me try them). Zero regret despite the price. A very significant improvement versus any of the good brakes I had (Saint, , MT7, code RSC, stealth). Very high and consistent power, buttery smooth and confortable lever, great modulation, super clean cockpit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles