New bike time - choices!

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Just sold my bike and time to get my first ebike. I have narrowed it down to these 4 as they are all around the same price and below $6k AUD. I trail ride mainly with a little bit of jumps and want to get better at going down. I dont have the time to do all day epics so big batteries arent a concern to me, just out for a couple of hours at a time.
  • Merida eone sixty 5000 - carbon front, e7000 motor, looks neat, havent heard anything good about the rockshox 35.
  • Merida eone sixty limited edition - Has rockshox 35 too, e8000 motor, slightly better spec than the 5000 but 2 piston rear brake.
  • Giant Trance E+ 1 - best spec but hideous colours
  • Trek Powerfly 9.7 G2 - Yari, sram
A few questions though:
  1. I am 186cm tall and normally dead on a large. I took both Meridas for a carpark ride in large and X-large and cant tell if it would make a noticeable difference on the trail if I got either one. Does anyone normally size up on bikes?
  2. The eone sixty 5000 has the e7000 but around the carpark and a slight incline but it didnt feel any different. Apart from 1 youtube vid I couldnt tell
  3. Apparently the Shimano motors are the only ones actually able to be serviced in Aus and the rest need to be sent overseas. Is there anything else I should consider between the brands?
  4. Which would you choose and why?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
MAS

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would choose the trek, it has the best spec, is better value than the others, and has the larger battery.

Shimano is bringing out a new motor and larger batteries later this year, I am a big fan of the existing system, but if buying right now I wouldn't buy a Shimano motored bike simply because the new motor, and corresponding host of new models with it in, will be coming soon.

ses310

Apr 28, 2020
Kidderminster
Agree with R120... I was recently looking for my first ebike and discounted any Shimano motered bikes due to age of system and battery size.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I would choose the trek, it has the best spec, is better value than the others, and has the larger battery.
Except it's the powerfly and not the rail ... so it's the Gen 2 motor and not the Gen 4 motor .....

Apparently the Shimano motors are the only ones actually able to be serviced in Aus and the rest need to be sent overseas. Is there anything else I should consider between the brands?
The only motor which actually can be serviced at all is the Bosch. The Shimano's are basically thrown in the bin if they break and there's nothing you can service on them. If possible I'd avoid the e7000, whilst any motor can break, the e7000 seems a bit more fragile.

Is there no availability on the Trek Rails with the Gen 4 Bosch ?

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Except it's the powerfly and not the rail ... so it's the Gen 2 motor and not the Gen 4 motor .....

The only motor which actually can be serviced at all is the Bosch. The Shimano's are basically thrown in the bin if they break and there's nothing you can service on them. If possible I'd avoid the e7000, whilst any motor can break, the e7000 seems a bit more fragile.

Is there no availability on the Trek Rails with the Gen 4 Bosch ?
The rails are at least $2000 more.
Which one would you choose?

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Shimano is bringing out a new motor and larger batteries later this year, I am a big fan of the existing system, but if buying right now I wouldn't buy a Shimano motored bike simply because the new motor, and corresponding host of new models with it in, will be coming soon.
The trek is the only one I havent been able to see and sit on in the flesh but will try this week. The only thing I worry about with it is that it has a long wheelbase and chain stays.

I didnt realise Shimano had new motors coming out too. Even though all the prices rose a fair bit this year I have been told that they will be rising again with the new models too.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The rails are at least $2000 more.
Which one would you choose?
Choosing is always difficult ... :)

For me, I'd completely avoid the e7000.

So you're down to three .

The Gen 2 Bosch is a solid motor and you can buy service kits for it. You can also buy a mud stop from bearing man on here to stop water and mud getting in, there's various other tips like changing the chain guide so it doesn't force mud into the bearings - these last two points depend a lot on where and how you're riding if they're even relevant to you.

Personally, I've never liked the looks of the Giants (Yamaha motor), I've no idea why .. BUT - everyone who has one seems to really like it and they seem robust, even ones which are heavily abused like @MrTeno2U

The Merida also has a great reputation and seems to have good support, especially in Aus. The e8000 is a good motor and I wouldn't worry about the 2 piston rear brake, it's probably all you need on the rear and if you do need more, it's not expensive to upgrade a caliper or increase the disk size.

So between the three, it would come down to the usual's ..... Ideally, if you can try them - which feels the best FOR YOU - as everyone is different. Whilst you can't really see the thing when you're riding it, you still have to live with it and want to feel like you like it - so which one do you like the look of. Equally importantly, which supplier/shop do you feel most comfortable with for long term support and help.

Shimano have a new motor due out (or maybe more than one) but the EP8 is the only one known about and appears to be a direct replacement for the E8000. It also uses the same mounting bolts, so one advantage of the e8000 bike, is you could possibly upgrade the motor if you wanted to in a couple of years time.

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Choosing is always difficult ... :)

For me, I'd completely avoid the e7000.

So you're down to three .

The Gen 2 Bosch is a solid motor and you can buy service kits for it. You can also buy a mud stop from bearing man on here to stop water and mud getting in, there's various other tips like changing the chain guide so it doesn't force mud into the bearings - these last two points depend a lot on where and how you're riding if they're even relevant to you.

Personally, I've never liked the looks of the Giants (Yamaha motor), I've no idea why .. BUT - everyone who has one seems to really like it and they seem robust, even ones which are heavily abused like @MrTeno2U

The Merida also has a great reputation and seems to have good support, especially in Aus. The e8000 is a good motor and I wouldn't worry about the 2 piston rear brake, it's probably all you need on the rear and if you do need more, it's not expensive to upgrade a caliper or increase the disk size.

So between the three, it would come down to the usual's ..... Ideally, if you can try them - which feels the best FOR YOU - as everyone is different. Whilst you can't really see the thing when you're riding it, you still have to live with it and want to feel like you like it - so which one do you like the look of. Equally importantly, which supplier/shop do you feel most comfortable with for long term support and help.

Shimano have a new motor due out (or maybe more than one) but the EP8 is the only one known about and appears to be a direct replacement for the E8000. It also uses the same mounting bolts, so one advantage of the e8000 bike, is you could possibly upgrade the motor if you wanted to in a couple of years time.
Thanks for that.
The Giant is the only one I have ridden off road and that was the SX Pro and I loved it with the coil rear shock. But...I feel the geometry seems to be on the older side of things particularly compared to the Merida. Both the Giant and Merida I would feel comfortable with support wise but less so with the Trek.

While there will always be something newer around the corner I think I am leaning towards the Merida limited at this stage particularly after watching Robs latest review of it.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I have a Merida E160 and love it, I also have a Merida city ebike and it has been trouble free for 3 years.

I quite like the Giant motor it has plenty of power.

The Shimano e8000 is a good motor and is a proven product, a new one may have teething problems, I have never felt there was nothing I couldn’t do on it, I like how it delivers power more than the Bosch.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Just sold my bike and time to get my first ebike. I have narrowed it down to these 4 as they are all around the same price and below $6k AUD. I trail ride mainly with a little bit of jumps and want to get better at going down. I dont have the time to do all day epics so big batteries arent a concern to me, just out for a couple of hours at a time.
  • Merida eone sixty 5000 - carbon front, e7000 motor, looks neat, havent heard anything good about the rockshox 35.
  • Merida eone sixty limited edition - Has rockshox 35 too, e8000 motor, slightly better spec than the 5000 but 2 piston rear brake.
  • Giant Trance E+ 1 - best spec but hideous colours
  • Trek Powerfly 9.7 G2 - Yari, sram
A few questions though:
  1. I am 186cm tall and normally dead on a large. I took both Meridas for a carpark ride in large and X-large and cant tell if it would make a noticeable difference on the trail if I got either one. Does anyone normally size up on bikes?
  2. The eone sixty 5000 has the e7000 but around the carpark and a slight incline but it didnt feel any different. Apart from 1 youtube vid I couldnt tell
  3. Apparently the Shimano motors are the only ones actually able to be serviced in Aus and the rest need to be sent overseas. Is there anything else I should consider between the brands?
  4. Which would you choose and why?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
MAS
I have two trek powerfly 9.7 (his and hers). They’re only ok. I prefer my Kenevo way way better than my powerfly. Feels lighter, more fun to ride and better power delivery. Also better technology with the BLEvo App on my phone.

powerfly rides like a tank.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles