New E-bike Choices

Happy Jack

Aug 23, 2020
UK
Hi Everyone,

I am currently looking at an ETB to add to my fleet.

Spend is around £2500 but less is better....

Down to a couple of choices at the moment

Rockrider EST 900 - like the spec, like the price, don't like the look
Cube Reaction Pro 635 - like the look, spec is OK, don't like the price, like 29" wheels

Any advice or anything else I could add to my list?

Happy Jack

Aug 23, 2020
UK
What's wrong with the look of the EST-900?

Not a great deal to be honest but the Cube is nicer looking with the hidden battery and the straight top bar. I must admit I prefer the 29" wheels as well on the Cube as well both aesthetically and practically. My current MTB is a 29" a it makes my old 27.5" look like a toy plus it rides much better

Happy Jack

Aug 23, 2020
UK

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
We have two cubes. One has Suntour coil 100mm fork and one has Rockshox air 100mm fork. There is a world of difference. I would avoid the Suntour coil forks like the plague. I’ve seen them online for £69. I need not say anymore

Happy Jack

Aug 23, 2020
UK
I looked at the Rockrider and decided that I really didn't like the look of it and if I am spending near enough 2k on a bike I really do need to like the looks regardless of specification plus I prefer the Bosch motor it appears anecdotally more reliable. The Wilier I like but again prefer the Bosch motor and Merlin are a bit far away from me and couldn't give me a delivery date plus I would rather use my LBS if I can

So as it happens my LBS had one Cube Reaction Pro 2021 in stock in my size (after having one stolen from the shop a few days earlier. The thief just walked in and wheeled it out sans charger!)

So I have just taken ownership of 2021 Cube Reaction Pro from my LBS. I had a bit of a worry about the forks and the SX Eagle drive train but decided on balance I would rather buy from my local for service and I can always change the forks / drive chain later if they were so bad or when they die

First impressions were a bit underwhelming to be honest and I didn't think WOW as I rode it from the shop home but it was lashing it down I didn't spend any time making any fine adjustments to saddle etc

However I took it for a a quick 12 mile blast off road with a few muddy, rocky climbs and descents, took some time to get it dialled in. OK so the forks aren't the best and the gear change isn't quite as slick as the SLX on my GT but what a fantastic bike.

The pedal assistance is great I still got out of breath and had a work out. The bike handled really well and inspired lots of confidence and I went up a few trails that I probably wouldn't on my GT.

I am now suitably WOWED and very happy with my choice

davec

May 3, 2020
uk
I know its a little more than your stated budget but the decathlon stylus is a FS bike for 2699. Im v pleased with mine and the decathlon after service is great too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles