• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

New bike, noisy motor. Service or ignore?

SavvyPavvy

May 7, 2024
CANADA
Hello, I recently got a new set of wheels and I've noticed that my motor noise has became rather "grindy" after a couple uphill rides, but only when I'm coming off the gas and largely in lower gears / eco mode.

The motor is new, only about 100km on the odo. It's a Yamaha PW-ST. Does this sound normal to you all? I'm just worried I might have received a lemon 😂

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Gears always make noise, if you spin it backwords do they disengage? I'm assuming they do. probably what the woosh sound is on the overdrive on your first video. ( the crank arms disengaging from the gears as you stop pedalling)

unless you hear a grinding noise from the bearings it's probably fine.

Most electric RC cars sound the same as the power delivery stops.

My bosch motor I feel is kinda quiet, I've never seen a yamaha powered bike in the wild yet

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Was yours similar to mine? From what I can tell it's not "bad" per se, but hard to tell without a comparison.
Your over run sounds different I think, but the whine itself doesn't sound worse than mine. Even after a full rebuild and service by ebikemotorcenter it still sounded the same

SavvyPavvy

May 7, 2024
CANADA
Your over run sounds different I think, but the whine itself doesn't sound worse than mine. Even after a full rebuild and service by ebikemotorcenter it still sounded the same
Yes it's the over run specifically that's got me weirded out as I don't recall it being so grindy when I first got this bike, but thanks for the info.

SavvyPavvy

May 7, 2024
CANADA
take the chain off the front ring and see if the crank feels smooth when rotating
It's hard to describe but it feels like I'm rotating gears and not a smooth crank, if that makes sense. There's a noticeable gearing noise coming from it at least. Again, not sure if that's to be expected with a Yammy.

Last edited:

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Gears always make noise, if you spin it backwords do they disengage? I'm assuming they do. probably what the woosh sound is on the overdrive on your first video. ( the crank arms disengaging from the gears as you stop pedalling)

unless you hear a grinding noise from the bearings it's probably fine.

Most electric RC cars sound the same as the power delivery stops.

My bosch motor I feel is kinda quiet, I've never seen a yamaha powered bike in the wild yet

Solution

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Hello, I recently got a new set of wheels and I've noticed that my motor noise has became rather "grindy" after a couple uphill rides, but only when I'm coming off the gas and largely in lower gears / eco mode.

The motor is new, only about 100km on the odo. It's a Yamaha PW-ST. Does this sound normal to you all? I'm just worried I might have received a lemon 😂

Thanks.

thats the run out on the motor. for example shimano in trail or boost can have a 1 second run out where it keeps pushing you. I think its 1 second anyway it might be more

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada

Thanks.

gasgas eh, did you get yours from one of the moto shops? I got a good deal on a norco range last summer from one moto shop.

SavvyPavvy

May 7, 2024
CANADA
gasgas eh, did you get yours from one of the moto shops? I got a good deal on a norco range last summer from one moto shop.
Yeah I had no idea GASGAS made bicycles of all things, but I scooped one for cheap from a motorcycle outlet.
Not gonna lie probably the sketchiest purchase I've made in a while given I bought it sight unseen, but so far I'm pretty happy with it minus my own neurotic worrying about motor noise lmao

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
My experience is similar to others here. I have the E+ Elite Giant and there is noise that appears to be associated with the overrun - as others have noted. I took it in to have it thoroughly checked. That just seems to be how this motor sounds. Oddly, I can't seem to make the noise happen on the road. The variations of riding singletrack seem to make it more frequent. At first I thought the chain guide was rubbing, then looked at brake rub. It's the motor!

SavvyPavvy

May 7, 2024
CANADA
My experience is similar to others here. I have the E+ Elite Giant and there is noise that appears to be associated with the overrun - as others have noted. I took it in to have it thoroughly checked. That just seems to be how this motor sounds. Oddly, I can't seem to make the noise happen on the road. The variations of riding singletrack seem to make it more frequent. At first I thought the chain guide was rubbing, then looked at brake rub. It's the motor!
Yes same, mine almost sounds like it's sputtering when I ride between dips and climbs. I'd imagine it's engaging / disengaging as needed whereas on the road it's more constant.

The outlet I bought the bike from is 900km away from my location, I guess I could ask our local GasGas authorized dealer and put this to bed haha

Pedec

Mar 17, 2024
Weyburn,Canada
I bought the same bike as you a Gasgas trail 3 with pw-st motor and noticed the same thing. Noise seems worse in eco and almost like it on and off especially going slow over rough ground. Mine done it since day one and I have 400km on it in now in 2 months. But once you ride faster and harder the noise almost goes away on mine. Which for the first 300km I was in boost all the time riding bike hard. It was mot until lately and riding it slower with other guy not on e-bikes in eco that I noticed it more. I think it's fine and just a motor trait. There got to be a lot of GasGas e-bike running around in Canada now with the crazy deal they had on them. I got 3 other buddy that bought GasGAS e-bike all at the same time because the deal was to good to give up with components that come on bike Like fox factory suspension. Enjoying the heck of my trail 3 so far.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles