• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Fork service

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Does anyone know where I can get a SR Suntour Aion 35 Air LO-R fork service? I have done a search but can't find anyone who can do it.

Dingo78

Jan 5, 2021
Belgium - Antwerp
Hey Goughy75,

I recently started doing the maintenance on my e-mtb myself. At first it seem quite scary, but luckely there's alot of youtube movies on how to do it! And once you know how to do it, it will be easy. Not to mention the money you save along with the pround feeling of having done it yourself! And you can do it at home vs leaving your bike for a few days at the bike shop.

I personally own a rockshox fork, but the steps are about the same. Here's a few video's on it for your fork:
SRsuntour Aion fork service
Sr Suntour Aion 35 mtb fork

Here's a link to the Suntour technical video section Video section
You will need some basic tools (allen keys, mallet, syringe, degreaser/alcohol, 10mm wrench) a bike mechanic stand does really help

Things you'll need to buy:
*Suntour 35mm oil ring Shop link
*80w oil (this is the specification i could find on the internet. This type of oil in not really mainstream fork oil.. i'm not 100% sure, but i think they mean the type of oil in this link Oil link) It does need to be synthetic oil.
*fork grease (Rockshox uses sram butter.. i don't know if suntour requires special grease) Shop link
*Suntour 35mm stanchion wiper seal (the old ones are probably still ok and just need some TLC) Shop link

I don't know any bikeshops in the UK, but its worth looking arround for good prices. Make sure you get the correct oil rings (35MM). And if you plan on doing the maintenance youself in the future, maybe buy some oil rings in bulk to get a better price.

Dingo78

Jan 5, 2021
Belgium - Antwerp
When i did the 50 hour service on my Rockshox fork, i found the rubber seals did not need replacing, only some grease. Everything else needed a good cleaning/re-greasing and i needed to install new foam seals and put new oil.

This is the basic routine you'll have to do every +- 40 or 50 hours of use. So besides oil and grease, you'll need some foam rings to change out when you do the service. When you get the kit, measure how wide/high the foam rings are and order them from Aliexpress or some other place that sells them cheap and in bulk.... it will save you quite a bit in the long run ;-)

Good luck and keep us posted on the installation!

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
I have done the service myself! Replaced dust wipers, foam insert and air piston. Cleaned and lubed. I put 5cc of oil in the stanchion like the video said. It doesn't seem much. Anyone know if this is correct amount for Suntour Aion 35 Air LO-R fork?

Dingo78

Jan 5, 2021
Belgium - Antwerp
Hey Goughy75,

Congratulations! So nice to hear you managed to do that service yourself! Your fork now has alot less secrets for you and you'll save loads of money in the future performing this service yourself :D

I'v checked the Suntour website and could nog find the answer. I did find that the "Aion 35 rebuild kit" comes with 10ml of 80w oil. So logic would say it is 5ml for each leg. You could perhaps drop Suntour an email and ask them how much goes in.

Aion Rebuild Kit

For future services, i think the rubber dust wipers dont need changing so much. Just check them for damage and only replace if damaged.

Cheers!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles