New bike day! Allmtn 7

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
Did I tell you already that I'm happy as f...?
No?
Well, I'm happy as f...! :love:
20210314_173756.jpg

Last edited:

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
I read about the battery cover coming off sometimes.
Had some round velcro pads laying around in one of my drawers.
They fit quite good into the pattern of the cover and stick together without bulging the cover.
Time will tell if this will keep the cover at the bike.

Velcro.jpg

mr wilson

Mar 22, 2020
Nairn, Scotland
Is that just a pop on/off set up on the cover? I can see how it might come off if you're giving it some but the Velcro idea might be enough to sort it. I've got the older sliding metal catch on mine and it's a royal pita. Definitely needed some sort of new arrangement.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
There are two noses (is that the correct word for that?) at the bottom of the cover to secure the down part.
On the top there is a version of the Böllhoff fixation.
Google: Böllhoff Snaploc

I think the Snaploc is too small for this cover, especially when you shred bumpy trails, bikeparks or try some serious jumps.
I expect the forces on the small snaploc to be too high sometimes and then the cover will come off.
If you support the snaploc with some velcro pads, it should be fine.
Will check this out after the first decent downhills or jumps with my new 7.

Last edited:

BadgerHun7er

Jan 1, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
I read about the battery cover coming off sometimes.
Had some round velcro pads laying around in one of my drawers.
They fit quite good into the pattern of the cover and stick together without bulging the cover.
Time will tell if this will keep the cover at the bike.

View attachment 55734
I don’t use anything to help hold bike cover on (I have exactly the same bike) done about 600miles and it has never come off. Don’t see how it would, whenever I try to take it off it feels like I’m going to break a finger doing so.?

Andycap

Jan 25, 2021
Staffordshire
On my allmtn6 my cover has two clicks. If i push it on the first click it will come off easily but if i put more pressure on it and get the second click, then it is like Badgerhun7er says and nearly breaks your fingers trying to get it off.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
Today was my first ride with the new 7.
Well, I didn't lose the battery cover :LOL:

Coming from the 2018 Allmtn 6 geometry the 2021 Allmtn 7 is a new world.
You don't sit on the bike but in it.
The front is higher and there is more space to move around between the bar and the seat than on the 6.
Both bikes are size M.

My first impression on a short and bumpy downhill section was that the frame is as stiff as I was in my 20s when sex was safe and F1 was dangerous.
The 6 in comparison feels like a weak hose.
You can go fast with both of the two but I would reckon the 7 can go way quicker down the trails.

That's it for the first 10kms then.
It started snowing heavily and I went home.

20210318_162828.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Today was my first ride with the new 7.
Well, I didn't lose the battery cover :LOL:

Coming from the 2018 Allmtn 6 geometry the 2021 Allmtn 7 is a new world.
You don't sit on the bike but in it.
The front is higher and there is more space to move around between the bar and the seat than on the 6.
Both bikes are size M.

My first impression on a short and bumpy downhill section was that the frame is as stiff as I was in my 20s when sex was safe and F1 was dangerous.
The 6 in comparison feels like a weak hose.
You can go fast with both of the two but I would reckon the 7 can go way quicker down the trails.

That's it for the first 10kms then.
It started snowing heavily and I went home.

View attachment 55964
Pmsl "the frame is as stiff as I was in my 20s when sex was safe and F1 was dangerous". ???

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
After two years with a rear Mudhugger on my Allmtn 6, I tried the first kilometers on my 7 without a rear fender:

20210318_164031.jpg
20210318_163948.jpg
20210318_162842.jpg
20210318_162846.jpg

I went into my house as usual.
Dropped mud all over the place.
Went through the living room into the kitchen (needed sth to drink) and from there to the bathroom (needed a pee) and then to the basement.
What can I say: My wife spotted the mud I brought in and immediately sancioned me by serving only two plates of food at dinner (son and her), not talking to me for hours (which is sometimes not too bad) and then she showed me the way to the guestbed where I slept alone this night.

Conclusion: Ordered a Mudhugger!
Edit: My wife pointed out the fact that using a Mudhugger leads to higher activities in horizontal positions.
I like that.

Last edited:

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
After two years with a rear Mudhugger on my Allmtn 6, I tried the first kilometers on my 7 without a rear fender:

View attachment 56018 View attachment 56019 View attachment 56020 View attachment 56021

I went into my house as usual.
Dropped mud all over the place.
Went through the living room into the kitchen (needed sth to drink) and from there to the bathroom (needed a pee) and then to the basement.
What can I say: My wife spotted the mud I brought in and immediately sancioned me by serving only two plates of food at dinner (son and her), not talking to me for hours (which is sometimes not too bad) and then she showed me the way to the guestbed where I slept alone this night.

Conclusion: Ordered a Mudhugger!
Edit: My wife pointed out the fact that using a Mudhugger leads to higher activities in horizontal positions.
I like that.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
Fitted a rear Mudhugger.
Was quite hard to fit the Hugger to the 7.
The standard zipties don't work.
Took double sized zipties.
Wife is happy and my nights are happy, too.

The mounted Maxxis in Exo+ gave up after 42 kilometers. Puncture.
Immediately swapped to my beloved eWilds.
In direct comparison to the Maxxis the eWilds have so much more grip... amazing.
Btw, both tyres were new.

Today I went for a 2 hour ride on my local trails. Of course wet and muddy (f.. k).
The Shimano discs are a big disappointment as they need quite long to dry themselves. Braking is a bit of a gamble in the wet with the Shimano setup.
To be fair, the XT levers are very good.
It's the discs or calipers that ruined the experience.
Ordered MDR-P discs and MT7 as replacement.
Had them on my Allmtn 6 and they are a dream.

What else can I say:
This bike is a beast... ?

20210320_162115.jpg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Fitted a rear Mudhugger.

In direct comparison to the Maxxis the eWilds have so much more grip... amazing.

Today I went for a 2 hour ride on my local trails. Of course wet and muddy (f.. k).
The Shimano discs are a big disappointment as they need quite long to dry themselves. Braking is a bit of a gamble in the wet with the Shimano setup.
Odered MDR-P discs and MT7 as replacement.

What else can I say:

View attachment 56281

I have an Allmtn 4 and it came with Magura MT5 brakes and must say they’re great. Make a strange hissing/buzzing noise when lightly braking at speed but at least I know they’re working

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
I have an Allmtn 4 and it came with Magura MT5 brakes and must say they’re great. Make a strange hissing/buzzing noise when lightly braking at speed but at least I know they’re working
That is the problem with the Shimano discs (or calipers, I don't know exactly).
When they're wet they hardly work.
Then they squeak like they want to wake up a polar bear from his winter sleep.
After a second of no effect the brakes start to do what they were meant to do.
Scared me a bit...

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
Fitted a rear Mudhugger.

Ordered MDR-P discs and MT7 as replacement.

What else can I say:

View attachment 56281
WAT these didn`t work?

1616354670183.png

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
That is the problem with the Shimano discs (or calipers, I don't know exactly).
When they're wet they hardly work.
Then they squeak like they want to wake up a polar bear from his winter sleep.
After a second of no effect the brakes start to do what they were meant to do.
Scared me a bit...

the Magura pads squeal like a cat that’s been trodden on when they’re wet but dry off really quick, within less than a minute I’d say

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
the Magura pads squeal like a cat that’s been trodden on when they’re wet but dry off really quick, within less than a minute I’d say
Yes they're also squeaking but not so loud as the Shimanos... and not so long.
Besides that the Maguras do their work without this one second delay.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
NOT BIG ENOUGH
These were the biggest I found in my workshop ?
At least they seem to keep the Mudhugger in place. 2.5 hours today with lots of trails and jumps. All good.
Went out yesterday with the standard zipties that came with the Hugger.
First jump... six of eight were gone.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK

I have the MT5's too with the stock 203 Magura discs on my 3.0 and I have the same problem. Rear seems to be fine, but the front is getting right up my nose. Its super strong, but theres a real noisy buzz and vibration which can even be felt at the bars. I am pretty sure its the edges/holes/slots around the disc hitting the pads as they pass through. I immediately thought that the caliper was either spaced too far in or too far out and not sitting on the correct section of disc but I have had a good look and it seems fine, with a good sweep of the surface. I am going to see how it goes, this is a brand new bike and they may bed in/settle down a bit but if they dont I will have the right hump. It would be a huge shame because I cant fault the power, neither do I really want to change the discs although it would give me an excuse to fit 220mm Hopes with the fancy anodised centers..

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have the MT5's too with the stock 203 Magura discs on my 3.0 and I have the same problem. Rear seems to be fine, but the front is getting right up my nose. Its super strong, but theres a real noisy buzz and vibration which can even be felt at the bars. I am pretty sure its the edges/holes/slots around the disc hitting the pads as they pass through. I immediately thought that the caliper was either spaced too far in or too far out and not sitting on the correct section of disc but I have had a good look and it seems fine, with a good sweep of the surface. I am going to see how it goes, this is a brand new bike and they may bed in/settle down a bit but if they dont I will have the right hump. It would be a huge shame because I cant fault the power, neither do I really want to change the discs although it would give me an excuse to fit 220mm Hopes with the fancy anodised centers..

I have no idea what causes the buzzing sound but also presumed it’s just a whistle of the disc running through the callipers. I quite like it, sounds futuristic, like flying an electric spaceship ?

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Oh for sure, discs will always make a light buzz from the cuts in the disc (the older, plainer discs with just small holes were much quieter) but mine are vibey as well. Hopefully the edges of the cuts just need to de-bur a bit. Theres no doubt the additional cuts/waves on modern discs help clean the pads of crap and de glaze them better but the downside is noise.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Oh for sure, discs will always make a light buzz from the cuts in the disc (the older, plainer discs with just small holes were much quieter) but mine are vibey as well. Hopefully the edges of the cuts just need to de-bur a bit. Theres no doubt the additional cuts/waves on modern discs help clean the pads of crap and de glaze them better but the downside is noise.

I don’t get any vibrations, just the buzzing, and yes previous bikes have been much older with smaller holes in the discs so this buzzing is new to me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles