• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Nerves

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
It's best to build up to features you find difficult, you don't bounce as well as you did 30yrs ago!

Decent pads and a full face helmet give me a bit more confidence when I'm pushing it, although I've not done anything remotely close to my limit in the last year. It also helps if you've seen someone else ride a difficult section as the best line might not be the one you think it is.

There's no shame in walking sections of the trail though, self preservation is a good skill to have.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For me the main thing is to get into a relaxed state of mind, as be nice and "loose" on the bike. If I am going to attempt to push myself, I always make sure I have warmed up on a couple of mellower trails, and got myself in the "zone" so to speak.

Other than that I would say focus on where you are going, head up and looking ahead at where you want to go, and not at what you dont want to hit! If you ride a trail and focus on all the stuff you want to avoid, then actually what you will do is end up riding into those elements.

Its also the case that some more technical features are better handled at speed, rather than slow - not saying attack everything as it depend on the feature, but quite often your bike will do what its designed to do when going at a bit of pace, whereas going slower will actually mean it gets bogged down.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
As @routrax said, build up to the more gnarly stuff. And protective gear can be helpful when you're learning - elbow and knee guards. I think "learning to fall" is a great skill for any sport with a risk of impact. An intro martial arts class can be helpful with that.

And DO NOT let peer pressure take you into situations where you aren't comfortable. I've seen that cause bad outcomes on bikes and dirt bikes too often.

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Speed is your friend. Don't try and fly down however!! Find a speed that means you don't wobble with hesitation as that can cause you to tumble. And as others have said build up to it, picture it in your head and enjoy the rush as you nail it. Everyone has a limit, there is nothing better than still having all your limbs intact and continuing to ride, there is nothing worse than a broken bone or a ride ending gash. There are chutes I know I've done before but don't do in winter due to risk of losing the front wheel on roots or rocks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'd ignore the "just go faster" advice entirely until you build confidence... If you really can't visualise yourself riding a line/drop/jump. don't!
As for confidence, you simply need to build on what you already have gradually introducing techier riding within your skills range. Plenty practice and repetition will build your skills and confidence.
Your age and job are irrelevant. So stop using those as an excuse.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yep, go steady, work out your approach, watch others, do it in sections if you can, or leave it until next time when your head is in a better place, "sometimes you just don't feel like it".

There is zero shame in armouring up until your skill level and your confidence improves. I always ride with knee & shin guards and elbow guards, as well as the usual helmet and gloves. My backpack provides protection there of course. When I go somewhere that I believe will be a step harder than my usual stuff, I swap my trail helmet for a full face.

I can offer a forecast, based upon my own experience and that of others I have spoken to. Whatever the feature is that is troubling you now, once you've done it twice you will not be able to believe why it troubled you at all. :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Boring, but yes, body armour ... at a minimal elbows, knees and ideally a full face - I know everyone thinks it's overkill - but your face is delicate and only has a tongue to sick out in front of itself as a reactionary measure, unlike your other limbs.

An intro martial arts class can be helpful with that.
As Rick says, learn something like Origami first. Knowing that you'll be able to keep yourself and others entertained in hospital with only a few sheets of paper - instils confidence, there's nothing worse than being bored in hospital !

If you're tense, you're much more likely to fall. For starters you'll probably be going too slow to carry you though, so you'll feel every bit of the feature, the suspension won't help you - so you might even trip yourself up or get caught up and then loose balance sideways, or just topple over the front because the bikes stopped and just acts as a huge great pivot for your body to roll around - whilst you refuse to release the brakes.

Any section you're not sure about .. get off. walk it. Visualise where the wheels will go, where the pedals will be with regard to width space, if there's a risk they can get caught up. Where your body needs to be through each part of the movement to make the bike work for you through the feature.

Then get the bike and if there's space, walk the bike through the feature to see how it rolls. If it's a vertical drop - it won't roll, so you'll still have to use some common sense.

When you do ride it. Make sure you give yourself several meters run up, look at the feature as you approach, visualise it .. say "Ah feck it" COMMIT !!!! and then LOOK AHEAD - if you stare at the floor - you WILL FALL OFF !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Also, there are an increasing number of clinics/coaches (1:1 or group sessions) to work on skills like this.
He's not wrong :

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Looking at your vid I'd say pick which drops are worth doing to gain the satisfaction vs the potential consequences. If there was a drop/chute into dirt or trees that's one thing but that one there looked like a big fricking rock to land on if you got crossed up & prob others that weren't in sight from the top. If you got pitched you wouldn't be walking away from that with a laugh & 'did you see that'.
I've been watching vids of local tracks that I do & realise there are riders of a whole nother level that play on what myself & mates are happy just to get through.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Fun fact: I was, at the tender age of 8 (around 1968) the youngest person to get an original Origami design - two in fact, an elephant and a penguin - published in British Origami Magazine (or whatever it was called then)...

I think these two tried your origami elephant and didn't quite get it right:
1610574589378.png

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Sorry, I don’t get the whole armour up for safety and feel braver approach.....

You won’t suddenly get better at riding a bike with more protection on. It could be a hindrance.

I’ll only ever ride with a helmet. And knee pads. As anything else won’t really stop serious injury imo. (Apart from a back protector) for 90% of the riding 99% of us on here do....

Level up skills and practice. That will increase confidence. And reduce nerves.

Tuition or riding with better riders will always help.

I’m no expert on a mtb. In fact I’m probably just a game newbie. But have ridden race bikes (engine kind) to a decent level, and yes it’s great to feel protected in any dangerous sport, but don’t take it as a false sense of security. Cos it’ll bite eventually when you run out of talent

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
If you're riding rocky terrain like the OP was, armour is quite a good idea while you're learning new lines.

Maybe. But improving skills is more important IMO.

Few scrapes and cuts isn't going to end your world. And being more aware of the risk isn't a bad thing.

Not saying armour is bad, each to their own in respect to what they feel adequate but all I'm saying is don't mask ability with armour and lure yourself into a false sense of security

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Maybe. But improving skills is more important IMO.

Few scrapes and cuts isn't going to end your world. And being more aware of the risk isn't a bad thing.

Not saying armour is bad, each to their own in respect to what they feel adequate but all I'm saying is don't mask ability with armour and lure yourself into a false sense of security

Nah, just watched the video again, if you're learning on that terrain, armour up. Those rocks are not going to play nice if you stuff it up.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
If the first time you try you get smashed up, you're unlikely to try a second time.

Body armour will lessen the likelihood of getting smashed up, and increase the likelihood of a second try.

That's where we are all different I guess....

Getting it wrong would make me go back for a second try.

Dude, when you are used to crashing motorbikes at 150mph, and actually smashing yourself up, elbow pads on a MTB really don't make you feel like a better rider.

I respect my skill level and ride accordingly

I'm not knocking armour, i just don't like the feel of being restricted, and I don't think it's the answer to improving ones riding

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles