• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered MTB Shoes - Nerve Damaged foot. Disabilities and eBikes

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Im looking for something, i'm not sure is out there..

I have a foot condition after a sepsis coma, Tibial Nerve Palsy, basically right foot sore as F**** a lot of the time and a wonky, also have hammer toes from it all. I have only found two pairs or trainers I can wear : Brooks glycerine 16 and 17 2E, Fresh Foam 1080v9 xwide (4E I think) , both around £150 a pair :/ Im size 12 big feet and have had to give away all my favourite trainers, boots, footwear. I was a bit like a Giant Male Yorkshire Imelda Marcos.

Anyway. I need some really wide fitting comfortable MTB shoes if there is such a thing, ideally something that doesn't fit tight in the toe box, any tightness over the top of the right foot is very painful.

or do just use the running shoes ive found that work for me.. its a conundrum. was looking at these magnet based spds also. interested to hear from other people biking with disabilities.

many thanks

J

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I don’t have the same issues as you but I’ve found that the magnetic peddles have helped with my disability. Both my emtb’s have magnetic peddles. Finding a shoe that fits properly is not much of a problem. I use spd flats (metal plate spd) with a good grip. I put 6 pins on the peddle surface. I don’t even think about disengaging anymore...I just do-it.
My problem was placing my left foot on the peddle. A clipless peddle was almost impossible to disengage from.(I really like to be clipped in, but.) The motion or method needed for a magnetic peddle is slightly different. It helps keep my foot on the peddle but allows me to disengage easily. I’m not sure if these types of peddles will work for you? The Bontrager Rally or 5/10’s seem to work well for footwear with spd’s.

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
I don’t have the same issues as you but I’ve found that the magnetic peddles have helped with my disability. Both my emtb’s have magnetic peddles. Finding a shoe that fits properly is not much of a problem. I use spd flats (metal plate spd) with a good grip. I put 6 pins on the peddle surface. I don’t even think about disengaging anymore...I just do-it.
My problem was placing my left foot on the peddle. A clipless peddle was almost impossible to disengage from.(I really like to be clipped in, but.) The motion or method needed for a magnetic peddle is slightly different. It helps keep my foot on the peddle but allows me to disengage easily. I’m not sure if these types of peddles will work for you? The Bontrager Rally or 5/10’s seem to work well for footwear with spd’s.

Thanks man, I’m still looking into this, with me it’s the shoe fit as my feet are so painful, I’m awaiting an operation so may see how things are after that and just continue riding in my brooks trainers . Thanks for your advice. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles