Mystery tubeless deflation on the trail finally sorted.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Been having a mystery tyre deflation whilst underway recently which had really started to irritate me. Pump it up and it wouldn't loose a bit of air whilst sitting in the garage. Ride it and sometimes it would be fine, the next suddenly you would loose 1/2 the air and needing a top up. No obvious leaks of sealant around the rim indicating a problem there.

Finally took the tyre off and found the cause, a cut about 5mm long right through the centre of the tyre, the sealant seems to plug the hole, but the cut was so big that when you hit a stone or root and deflected the tyre just at that point, it looks as though the sealant plug would be spat out and in the process before a new plug would form, 1/2 the air would go.

Mystery solved with 3 tyre repair plugs through the same hole, the sealant seems to do the rest.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
FYI, ime with large/large multiple plug fixes it is better to replace with an inside mushroom as I have had a couple of ‘complex repair’ plugs fail after a bit of tyre wear etc on large punctures

I’ve also bought some stans darts (They’re claimed to chemically interact with the sealant I think)as these are meant to work on larger punctures but luckily I haven’t had to use them yet so can’t give feedback

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
FYI, ime with large/large multiple plug fixes it is better to replace with an inside mushroom as I have had a couple of ‘complex repair’ plugs fail after a bit of tyre wear etc on large punctures

I’ve also bought some stans darts (They’re claimed to chemically interact with the sealant I think)as these are meant to work on larger punctures but luckily I haven’t had to use them yet so can’t give feedback
Mmmm not seen those small enough for bike tyres, good call. The downside is I find that it’s almost impossible to solvent glue on patches to the inner part of the tyre once you have used latex sealant

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks man.
I was wondering if you meant that type.
I tend to patch tyre rips from the inside using automotive tyre patches and vulcanising solution. Automotive plugs are also available that look a little like a large rubber drawing pin and work in the same way as a patch but plugs the hole too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles