My Specialized Turbo Levo....

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
they look good but in my experience 2.8 tyres in the wet and mud are horrid, i had 2.8 MMs and in the mud, they just slid about, switched to 2.5 Maxxis shortys on 29inch wheels and had loads of grip even in deep mud.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
they look good but in my experience 2.8 tyres in the wet and mud are horrid, i had 2.8 MMs and in the mud, they just slid about, switched to 2.5 Maxxis shortys on 29inch wheels and had loads of grip even in deep mud.

Compared to Shortys, MM's are nowhere near as good when it gets wet and especially when it gets sticky clay muddy as the MM's just clog up and do not clear as well as Shortys. I have a spare set of wheels which have Shortys on just waiting for the deluge to begin. If it is really loamy and muddy where you are Wet Screams (If you can find them) are another one to try.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
yep me too I have a set of 29ers with shortys on for the winter but I have to say in my experience the 2.35MMs are as good as 2.5 shortys its just the 2.8MMs that dont work in the mud, too wide

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
I've just fitted a CC 210mm eye to eye also with a 550lb spring about 165mm travel, running max hi speed rebound damping to keep the the bike from bucking on rough downhills.
Bottom bracket now 20mm higher.

Other changes include 160mm KTM cranks 155mm raised the cadence too much and outside the motors sweetspot.
SRAM EX1 8 Speed & CushCore inserts.
Also a strip of 50mm PVC tape spanning the frame and swingarm to keep the crap out of the motor housing.
Rockguardz motor protector, which I've added an extra 2.5mm of glassfibre to the area under the motor as being Carbon I broke it second time out.
Painted dots in all fastenings to monitor any loosening, which is not infrequent.

Lukasz_M

Jun 12, 2018
Warsaw Poland
Hey mate, where did you get the 700 spring and is that the 190(7.5) or 200mm (7.875) cane creek?
HI.
Got it from local CC representative but it's not longer in production... Lucky me it was waiting for more than 2 years... It's 190x51

Last edited:

Lukasz_M

Jun 12, 2018
Warsaw Poland
How about some feedback/review on the CC Helm??? Please !
Well, I'm not good at reviewing but it's a great fork. Coil too BTW. Very sensitive and supportive at the same time, no bottoming out with standard spring. Some minor problems with regulators returning to zero but already sorted outbyCC with new redesigned kit. Very unhappy every time I have to return to air for some reason.

DrKrown

Dec 11, 2018
Italy
I've just fitted a CC 210mm eye to eye also with a 550lb spring about 165mm travel, running max hi speed rebound damping to keep the the bike from bucking on rough downhills.
Bottom bracket now 20mm higher.

Other changes include 160mm KTM cranks 155mm raised the cadence too much and outside the motors sweetspot.
SRAM EX1 8 Speed & CushCore inserts.
Also a strip of 50mm PVC tape spanning the frame and swingarm to keep the crap out of the motor housing.
Rockguardz motor protector, which I've added an extra 2.5mm of glassfibre to the area under the motor as being Carbon I broke it second time out.
Painted dots in all fastenings to monitor any loosening, which is not infrequent.
Hi, I see that you installed a Sram EX1 drivetrain on your bike?
How does it perform?
Do you have any issue with the Brose motor handling the big cog (48 t)?

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
Hi, I see that you installed a Sram EX1 drivetrain on your bike?
How does it perform?
Do you have any issue with the Brose motor handling the big cog (48 t)?
The EX1 isn't as responsive at the 11 speed, but having a heavier chain and not having to mash through the gears makes it a worthwhile upgrade.
The motor have no problem with the big ring as there is less load on the motor.
I tend to toggle the power settings as in place of shifting gears depending on the terrain.
Just returned from a downhill ride self-shuttling up, still muddy from it, so signing off.
Cheers Gyro

DrKrown

Dec 11, 2018
Italy
The EX1 isn't as responsive at the 11 speed, but having a heavier chain and not having to mash through the gears makes it a worthwhile upgrade.
The motor have no problem with the big ring as there is less load on the motor.
I tend to toggle the power settings as in place of shifting gears depending on the terrain.
Just returned from a downhill ride self-shuttling up, still muddy from it, so signing off.
Cheers Gyro
Thank you for your useful answer!
Just one last question: did you maintain the original/stock front chainring (32 T)?

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
Thank you for your useful answer!
Just one last question: did you maintain the original/stock front chainring (32 T)?
I ran the original ring, there was a terrible grinding sound coming from the motor housing as the covers tend to amplify any sound, turned out it was the chain ring, see attached image, the load had swaged the metal around the side of the teeth and was catching the inner plates of the chain.
Since replaced with an Eagle with massive cutaways on the trailing side of each tooth as pictured.

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 5.22.32 PM.jpg

Chainring Wear.jpg

Panigale

Sep 13, 2018
Norway
Anyone been warned of this issue ??
I tryed to order this CC shock from TFTuned now, got this reply:
Unfortunately you cannot fit the Coil IL to a Turo Levo bike. Cane Creek have issued a warning that the shock may snap due to the small diameter of the shaft.

Then i noticed this warning is present here: DBcoil IL
**Please note the Coil IL is not compatible with Specialized Stumpjumper 2019 frames, Specialized E-Bikes Turbo Levo/ Kenevo**

Anyone of you ever heard of or problems like this ?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Yes, feed back from TF Tuned said Cane Creek would not be able to support this shock on a Levo or a Stumpjumper.
I have gone down the Ohlins route instead and used a 210 x 55 (y)

StokerKXf

Jan 21, 2019
Durham
Yes, feed back from TF Tuned said Cane Creek would not be able to support this shock on a Levo or a Stumpjumper.
Kiwi in Wales
What model ohlins did you use? Did you have to use any offset bushings or a different yoke? Still 160ish travel?
Would an stx22 be ok?
Thanks

Last edited:

lookhear

Sep 18, 2018
Cape Town

Sorry for the multiple questions - trying to figure out if the extra travel comes with any complications.

Is this on the 2019 Levo?
Does the 210 x 55 work perfectly with the 2019 Levo?
Any clearance issues with the longer stroke?
Did you need to modify anything to get the 55 to work (52.5 is standard) ?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Sorry for the multiple questions - trying to figure out if the extra travel comes with any complications.

Is this on the 2019 Levo?
Does the 210 x 55 work perfectly with the 2019 Levo?
Any clearance issues with the longer stroke?
Did you need to modify anything to get the 55 to work (52.5 is standard) ?
Yes, this is on a 2019.
Works perfectly fine as 210 x 55 with no issues ?
The only change is you get a bit more travel (6-7mm) with no frame clearance issues.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Kiwi in Wales
What model ohlins did you use? Did you have to use any offset bushings or a different yoke? Still 160ish travel?
Would an stx22 be ok?
Thanks
I have a TTX22 coil, no offset bushes or different yoke.
If you want another air shock, yes a STX22 should fit but please check with TF Tuned first to be 100% sure (y)

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
Hi All

I am new to the forum... I thought I would add a couple of pictures of my steed!

It started life as a basic 2018 Levo Comp, this was my blank canvas :)

Upgrades:
Fox 36 Fork
Cane Creek Dbinline Coil (550lb Spring)
Trp Slate GWin Brakes
XT 1x11 Groupset
Lyne Components 150 Dropper
Easton Havoc 50mm Stem
Fabric Seat
Front Wheel - 29 Easton Arc 30mm Rim - Spez Butcher 2.6 Tyre
Rear Wheel - 27.5 Std Roval 38mm Rim - Spez Butcher 2.8 Tyre
504 WH Battery Upgrade

Great bike............ really enjoying it!!!

View attachment 1745
color me jelly - tho im loving my levo totally stock.

does the cane creek actually increase the travel at all?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles