My eBike is Solar Powered!

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Yup! At least it's charged with solar. I ordered a 1700 wh portable power station ("Solar generator") for long camping trips so I would have electricity for charging eBike, and other electrical needs. Yesterday my solar panels arrived! I have 540 watts of solar which was able to charge at a rate which at times exceeded 500 watts. After yesterdays ride I plugged the charge into the power station and charged it, just like using the ac from the house. I like the idea of just charging the bike off of solar, i.e. solar powered bicycle. Next step is to mount solar panels to van using a ladder rack so I'll be ready to travel!

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Might throw off the aerodynamics a bit. Each panel is 148x76 cm, and 24 lb. Battery bank alone is 52 lb. Besides, I need to leave the battery to power the refrigerator!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Might throw off the aerodynamics a bit. Each panel is 148x76 cm, and 24 lb. Battery bank alone is 52 lb. Besides, I need to leave the battery to power the refrigerator!
Can't you tow the refrigerator along with you ? You could stick the battery bank in there to keep it cool (at the bottom, lets not be stupid, you still need to think of centre of gravity) and carry more panels on it !

I mean, how else are you going to keep your beers cool on a ride ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's quite common so no one would look at you strangely .

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

Why hold yourself back .. you can do lunch whilst you're out if you have an electric hob ?

cooker.jpg

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Can't you tow the refrigerator along with you ? You could stick the battery bank in there to keep it cool (at the bottom, lets not be stupid, you still need to think of centre of gravity) and carry more panels on it !

I mean, how else are you going to keep your beers cool on a ride ?
True, but solar panels don't work in the shade and I only ride in the woods.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

Not if you alter the shape of panels into an
aerofoil. This should create lift so you can simply glide through the air on downhill descents and smash all the strava records in the process.

915668A1-673A-41C5-9643-1FCC68D3CA9D.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Farting and vomit jokes and/or situational humour involving either get me every time.

Everyone has a personal vomit story! :ROFLMAO:

I remember a long lost cousin and I driving through the centre of Nottingham at night, almost helpless with laughter as we regaled each other with our favourite vomit stories. He was quite probably not in full control of the car. :ROFLMAO:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On a hot day you could sit inside the fridge whilst you drank the beer, thus re-starting your ride thoroughly refreshed on the inside and on the outside!
I'm wondering more and more why people don't just do this all the time ?

@carlbiker could drill some holes for his arms, legs, head and wear it as refrigerated armour ! it's bleedin perfect ! In the moment of a crash he can rapidly withdraw limbs and head like a turtle and ride it out with a cool fresh beer in hand !

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
What the hell do you eat then to propel your bike along, clear lifts (elevators), and amuse small children?
We have baked beans here, just different brands and they aren't nearly as popular. Mainly we eat them on special occasions like picnics or holidays.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Farting and vomit jokes and/or situational humour involving either get me every time.

Everyone has a personal vomit story! :ROFLMAO:

I remember a long lost cousin and I driving through the centre of Nottingham at night, almost helpless with laughter as we regaled each other with our favourite vomit stories. He was quite probably not in full control of the car. :ROFLMAO:
Reminds me of the night I lost my virginity. We were both quite drunk and afterwards she puked on my leg. Giving this circumstances it did not trouble me.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I'm wondering more and more why people don't just do this all the time ?

@carlbiker could drill some holes for his arms, legs, head and wear it as refrigerated armour ! it's bleedin perfect ! In the moment of a crash he can rapidly withdraw limbs and head like a turtle and ride it out with a cool fresh beer in hand !

Christ it’s no joke, I need this! Or that instant impact foam stuff that cakes the area and sticks you into a cacoon! Yesterday again I went on a drop and for reasons unknown the bike seems to drop faster than my ass so for the second time I ended up performing a suicide move! I didn’t manage to stick my foot through the rear wheel this time at least ?. These shiny sticky shoes and pedals did naff all

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
It’s pretty apparent to me expensive goretex stuff isn’t going to practical, it’s wafer thin so I can imagine the pain of tearing it.....

anyone ever tried polycotton? (Reinforced cotton with polyester) I’ve a tent made out of this stuff (It’s expensive AF in tents) and on a hot sweaty day polyester (only) vs polycotton is night and day! It’s breathable, waterproof’ish’ and retains heat very well. Unlike polyester it does really need drying within a few days or mould will set in. It does dry fairly quickly from my experience

just if folk didn’t want to cut stuff down etc

Last edited:

guruuno

May 9, 2020
NJ
Yup! At least it's charged with solar. I ordered a 1700 wh portable power station ("Solar generator") for long camping trips so I would have electricity for charging eBike, and other electrical needs. Yesterday my solar panels arrived! I have 540 watts of solar which was able to charge at a rate which at times exceeded 500 watts. After yesterdays ride I plugged the charge into the power station and charged it, just like using the ac from the house. I like the idea of just charging the bike off of solar, i.e. solar powered bicycle. Next step is to mount solar panels to van using a ladder rack so I'll be ready to travel!

Can you provide photos, links to your installation, etc.?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Can you provide photos, links to your installation, etc.?
Hope to get the panels on in the next week or so and will post photos. I have the ladder rack, just need to pick up the aluminum tubing and nuts/bolts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles