My 2018 Expert Levo on stock tires has them installed with direction of rotation -> pointing in the wrong direction.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I asked the LBS why my tires came installed incorrectly in the rear? They said for better traction? ( I am calling BS on this. )
I noticed the little arrows showing the direction of rotation on the butcher Grid tires after I first noticed the tread was installed opposite in the back. I don't believe the explanation I got from my LBS and am starting not to trust them now. Is it even probable? I mean why would Specialized go to the trouble of showing which way they should be rotating if they ended the rear ones to rotate in the opposite direction. If so why was the rear arrow not printed i the opposite direction so it is installed opposite then? Makes no logical sense. How do you get better traction? From looking at the tread, I already thought the front was facing the right direction but rear wasn't. I drew this conclusion from the fact I can tell on car tires what direction they ought to rotate in.

Anyone with knowledge or experience with stock butcher grid tires and knows which way they go? Whats your take on this?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Butchers being a Maxxis minion DHF copy are best run the same way round front and rear.
This is for cornering consistency. if run the wrong way round the edge knobs don't work as well and the centre knobs siping doesn't do their job properly.
Your bike shop seems to think it'll create more traction the wrong way round for acceleration and climbing. which it will as the centre knobs are directionally ramped slighlty (only by a tiny amount though) but running one backwards will be to the detriment of it's cornering ability.

It's find a new favourite bike shop time. Yours seems to be stuck in the 90s

Ps. Car tyre tread paterns have no bearing on bicycle tyre tread paterns so don't use those as any sort of guide to anything with bicycles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles