Mullet Decoy 11s cassette

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
What cassettes are you switching to after the 11s e.13 gets worn out? I would like to go towards std Shimano cassettes but have a couple of issues. First obvious one is that e.13 is for xd driver, so at least I would need to change the freewheel. Second thing is the range. I’m not really using the smallest sprockets, nor much at least the biggest one, but would still like to keep the largest ones as bailout gears in a situation where the battery dies. Shimano does have 10-51 on the 12s xt but not for 11s...

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
Shimano do a 11-46 cassette so that means you only loose the 9 for a 11. I am the same i dont really use the 9 tooth apart from being on the road. I am in the same postion as you as i want rid of the TRS cassete. It is set up correctly and shifts ok but i had a go on a bike with a shimano cassette and you cant beat them. I am thinking of buying a new wheel as the shimano free wheel is 80 euro. I though about going to 12speed on the microspline and just but a new shifter but i am not sure in the deraliuer will be ok does anyone know?Or you could try a Sunrace Cassette CSMX8 i have not heard how they shift though!

Last edited:

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
My base decoy came with an 11 speed slx cassette and the HG driver. The cassette is like butter and started slipping teeth really quickly. I'd recommend you stay away from that one.

I built up a new wheel with the xd driver and got myself an 11 speed sram gx cassette. It's all steel and cheap, but still lighter than the Shimano cassette. The gx is 10-42 and I love the range, definitely don't need any bigger cogs on the low end and the 10 tooth is way way better for my steep downhills on the high end.

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Thanks for the responses. I’m not able to find reasonable XD driver casettes for the 11s that would have the same bailout ring as e.13. Also not possible to go to 12s so I’m leaning towards a new rear wheel with Shimano freehub and 11-46 cassette...

PS Would you think Shimano could change the 11s DI2 XT to 12 speed only via software upgrade if they wanted to?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
You should be able to get a sunrace/box cassette in 11spd for that and have good gearing options. Might be ez to put a microspline freehub on that too. Shimano is making microspline freehubs for a lot of manufacturers now . Shimano has an 11speed 10-51 cassette option that atleast your shifter and chain would work with and probably your derailleur or just spring for 12spd stuff if u find a microspline freehub option for your hub. Part should be on the e13 website if so.
I have a 29er enduro bike coming and it has 12 speed slx with a microspline hub. I want to have a mullet option and have a 27.5 rear wheel. The 27.5 rear wheel has a shimano hg freehub so i bought a sram nx 12spd 11-50 cassette. The lower line sram cassette only have an 11t small cog and they fit to shimano freehub bodies , not xd drivers. Maybe thats an option for your hub too

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
You can go down to a 34t chainring. That would help a lot in a bailout situation. It should also add some antisquat for better pedal performance.

Fatdog

Dec 23, 2018
Northern Ireland
I'm in the same position-ish...just binned the e13 wheel etc and ordered a new Hunt wheelset. Looking new Shimano type cassette and would consider the Sunrace. What models would be suitable for the 11 speed Decoy?

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
You can go down to a 34t chainring. That would help a lot in a bailout situation. It should also add some antisquat for better pedal performance.

Good idea. 34t with 11 in the back should be enough for my needs. I do quite a high cadence due to habit from the road cycling and also dont need to do pedalling above 35km/h...

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
I'm in the same position-ish...just binned the e13 wheel etc and ordered a new Hunt wheelset. Looking new Shimano type cassette and would consider the Sunrace. What models would be suitable for the 11 speed Decoy?
I think microspline come in 11spd but uses a 12 speed chain and 12 speed shifter. That means you would have to buy new new chain ring new cassette and new shifter i also not sure if the derailleur would need changing. I had a look at hunt wheels they look good. I looking at new wheels but want a bomb proof set I don't care about weight as its a ebike.

Fatdog

Dec 23, 2018
Northern Ireland
I think microspline come in 11spd but uses a 12 speed chain and 12 speed shifter. That means you would have to buy new new chain ring new cassette and new shifter i also not sure if the derailleur would need changing. I had a look at hunt wheels they look good. I looking at new wheels but want a bomb proof set I don't care about weight as its a ebike.
The Hunt wheels says: "
E_Enduro Wide: Wider, stronger, more durable. Built for the unique demands of E-MTB's.
" 37mm internal...nice and wide an, as you say, its an ebike, so not worrying about the weight...

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
My question as well. Have never used a Sunrace cassette. But definitely looks like a good alternative.

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Great to hear. I’ll propably take that route then. I made a promise to myself to never buy e.13 again after horrendous experience with their cranks on my fatbike.

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
Great to hear. I’ll propably take that route then. I made a promise to myself to never buy e.13 again after horrendous experience with their cranks on my fatbike.

Same here. Junk cassette on my Decoy, junk carbon wheels on my Tues, junk cassette on my Capra and I have not experienced the excellent customer service that others talk about. Didn’t even bother following through with warrantying the cassette, got tired of the back and forth and just threw it in the trash where it belongs. Waiting for weeks for a response is not acceptable, I want to ride my bike not wait weeks to get ahitty product support during riding season. I’ll just keep replacing the rest of their junk bits as they fail with better stuff and not look back.

Fatdog

Dec 23, 2018
Northern Ireland
Sunrace cassette now fitted with new Hunt wheels earlier.....bye byebe13 stuff !!!! Early tests has it shifting well and smooth.

IMG_20200819_150200.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles