Warranty replacement cassette, questions

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
Hi, I’ve just received a warranty replacement cassette from e-thirteen, I had the issue with it skipping and not making the smallest sprocket.

Couple of questions; any recommendations on a new chain as I want to switch this out at the same time and the last time I switched out a cassette was on my old 9spd, any tips for removing and replacing the 11spd cassette. I’ve still got a 9spd chain whip.

Thanks in advance

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
Really depends on how worn out your chain is. You’d need
the chain tool to measure it and see if it needs replacing.
That being said I just got the replacement cassette also
and I went ahead and replaced the chain and sprocket. I
got the Shimano chain since the sprocket was Shimano.
Also had to buy a new chain whip since my old 10 speed
one wouldn’t work. You can remove the one small bolt while
it’s on the bike and use the chain whip to loosen the outside
cassette. Then take the wheel off and finish it off the bike.
There is a YouTube video showing it.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Just use a pair of large vice grips to clamp down on the old cassette if you don’t want to buy the correct tool. And any 11 speed chain will work fine.

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
Hi, I’ve just received a warranty replacement cassette from e-thirteen, I had the issue with it skipping and not making the smallest sprocket.

Couple of questions; any recommendations on a new chain as I want to switch this out at the same time and the last time I switched out a cassette was on my old 9spd, any tips for removing and replacing the 11spd cassette. I’ve still got a 9spd chain whip.

Thanks in advance
Have you installed the cassette yet?
did they send a full cassette or just lower gears?
i have the exact same problem and currently in discussion with e13

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands

Thanks in advance

Funny enough i have the EXACT same problem. 10 of the gears work but the smallest wont. Or the smallest does and none of the others do!

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
Have you installed the cassette yet?
did they send a full cassette or just lower gears?
i have the exact same problem and currently in discussion with e13
No not yet, I've just ordered a new chain and will probably wait to fit everything until lockdown ends and I can get out properly.
I got a new cassette with 10 sprockets on, just the largest missing.

Stewface

Jan 21, 2018
Sussex by the Sea
My Di2 gears also only work in 9 gears, 10th gear jumps if any load is put on pedals, and 11th rarely engages. New e13 cassette but still the same I’ve taken off the derailleur Cleaned it and replaced the hanger, still the same i was going to replace it with a Shimano cassette when it wears out, however today the motor has stopped working and displays E010, when switching on.
I really disappointed in this bike as it’s only done 350km of dry cycling.

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
My Di2 gears also only work in 9 gears, 10th gear jumps if any load is put on pedals, and 11th rarely engages. New e13 cassette but still the same I’ve taken off the derailleur Cleaned it and replaced the hanger, still the same i was going to replace it with a Shimano cassette when it wears out, however today the motor has stopped working and displays E010, when switching on.
I really disappointed in this bike as it’s only done 350km of dry cycling.

i have the same problem with 10/11 on mine, also Di2. i’d love to throw it in the garbage and replace it with a 11-46 XT cassette but E13 only offers a XD and Microspline driver for the eSpec wheel, so it’s got to be an 11-42 SRAM cassette and also smaller chainring, change the rear wheel or change the whole driveline.

Stewface

Jan 21, 2018
Sussex by the Sea
I was going to get a shimano freehub from E13, to fit existing wheel and fit an XTR 11 speed cassette, when my chain stretches 0.5.
Unfortunately I’ve got error code E010, so it will probably need to go back to YT to sort. I’ll get them to sort out the gears too, they must of had them working at some point before putting the bike to the market place.
Luckily enough I’ve got a 4 year old Trek Powerfly, that I’ve done over 3,500 miles on that is still faultless, apart from service items. Just wish I liked the Trek Rail, enough to buy.

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
I was going to get a shimano freehub from E13, to fit existing wheel and fit an XTR 11 speed cassette, when my chain stretches 0.5.
Unfortunately I’ve got error code E010, so it will probably need to go back to YT to sort. I’ll get them to sort out the gears too, they must of had them working at some point before putting the bike to the market place.
Luckily enough I’ve got a 4 year old Trek Powerfly, that I’ve done over 3,500 miles on that is still faultless, apart from service items. Just wish I liked the Trek Rail, enough to buy.

have you spoken to E13 about the freehub? On their website they don’t show an 11spd Shimano available for the eSpec wheel.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I had a gut full of my e13 cassette after 18miles on a brand new bike. I had a custom set of wheels built with hope hubs. Now run shimano xt 11-46 an it’s faultless. E13 don’t make a 11speed free hub, u could just get a new hub fitted to ur wheel.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
There is a reason YT went with an XT drivetrain for 2020.
The E13 cassettes are total crap. I had one on a previous bike and it took a dump after only 2 weeks. E13 sent me a new one and it was very rough shifting. I gave up and switched out to a GX drivetrain.
E13 does not sell an 11 speed free hub for the decoy wheelset. I’m dumping the Di2/E13 combo and going with an XO 1 drivetrain.

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
There is a reason YT went with an XT drivetrain for 2020.
The E13 cassettes are total crap. I had one on a previous bike and it took a dump after only 2 weeks. E13 sent me a new one and it was very rough shifting. I gave up and switched out to a GX drivetrain.
E13 does not sell an 11 speed free hub for the decoy wheelset. I’m dumping the Di2/E13 combo and going with an XO 1 drivetrain.
I’m doing the same thing, E13 are sending me a replacement which I’ll try but not expecting much after seeing similar issues on here.
I’ve just ordered XO1 axs upgrade, cassette, chain, mech and shifter. So that’s my project over the next few days. A few people have switched to this on their Ebikes with good results, I just want to be able to shift gears without all that crunching and grinding.
i bought a Park hanger alignment tool and the hanger was within tolerance, tried 2 different chain too!
I have an Older e13 cassette on my Trek Farley and it has been faultless.

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
Any tips on removing the e13 cassette,I’ve unlocked the cassette by rotating the two separate parts of the cassette and it still sitting firm on the driver. The lock ring seems to be integrated into the cassette? My lock ring tool won’t go deep enough to get a bite.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
E13 say I have the new cassette which is funny because this think shifts like crap.

Not only does it not change correctly it also jumps under heavy load. Never seen a cassette ever do that.

I'm loathed to pay to upgrade a bike I just took delivery of. This is gonna really piss me off. My dad has the old one a d shifts ok...

Fatdog

Dec 23, 2018
Northern Ireland
If it's the Gen 2 cassette, place a screwdriver/flat edge between the top ring (46t one) and the edge of the second cassette , and shimmy it round and the second cassette wil come loose....opposite of this:

Stewface

Jan 21, 2018
Sussex by the Sea
E13 say I have the new cassette which is funny because this think shifts like crap.

Not only does it not change correctly it also jumps under heavy load. Never seen a cassette ever do that.

I'm loathed to pay to upgrade a bike I just took delivery of. This is gonna really piss me off. My dad has the old one a d shifts ok...
E13 told me I had the latest cassette too, but sent me a new one. Mine just jumps in 10th and 11th gears (2 smallest cogs), on the odd occasions 11th gear is selected.
sent bike back to YT yesterday, so I’ll see what they come up with.

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
E13 told me I had the latest cassette too, but sent me a new one. Mine just jumps in 10th and 11th gears (2 smallest cogs), on the odd occasions 11th gear is selected.
sent bike back to YT yesterday, so I’ll see what they come up with.
Yes mine behaves the same, I have one on a trek farley and it’s faultless !
the replacement has more defined machining on the ramps

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Just throwing another opinion in here, have had 2x E13 cassettes on YT Decoy, first was a total fail, warranty cassette while better still not very good on shifting even with ebike specific chain (though improved quite a bit from stock chain).

Took XO1 cassette off my pedal bike and put on Decoy and never looked back, shifting quality is soooo much better (like it should be). Put the E13 on pedal bike and it works fine, probably due to normal torque loads of regular pedaling. Ebike torque loads seem to be a problem for E13's supposed "E-spec" cassette, IMO.

I've heard it said so will repeat, E13 might be better off sticking to chain guides, that's what they are known for anyway.

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
Fitted my replacement cassette tonight and shifting is better but still struggles from 9 to 10 tooth and now struggles on some of the midrange too. the cassette has a slightly different machining profile.

update; I’ve ditched the e13 and di2 and installed eagle axs which shifts like a dream.

CBA0F6E5-9AFB-49FF-AAE3-C95E67C108A1.jpeg
ADC2153D-43C4-4B4A-9457-8998252363BF.jpeg

Last edited:

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Well i have the new style already cassette and its shit so that is clearly not a fix for this thing. Im waiting on E13 to come back to me but so far YT have not even emailed me back on the subject. This bike has a miss matched drive train with stupid XD driver on a Shimano shifting system.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
E13 cassette is the problem, get rid of it. In hindsight it would be the most economical if you have 11 speed to have an HG driver on the hub and then just buy Shimano cassetes which are good and a lot cheaper than SRAM. Also SRAM doesn't have an 11 speed cassette with the gear range like Shimano/E13, an XT cassette 11 spd can be had with a 46T and is like $70ish bucks. XO1 Sram cassettes @ $270ish can be upgraded from 42T to 44/46T via wolftooth giant cogs, but it's expensive, lighter but you pay a lot for that.

YT stopped using E13 cassettes in 2020, we all know why.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Hey chaps, I have a 18 Levo expert with xo can I run Shimano xt with my SRAM derailleur and chain it do I have to change everything? I’m about to buy cassette 3 and have three chains a year. Any suggestions on a new rear hub and freewheel?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles