Decoy Cassette Problem

MoWind

Jun 20, 2019
Garden Valley, Idaho
I have a Decoy Pro Race and had problems shifting into 11th gear. YT told me there is a known problem with a certain batch of cassettes so they sent me a replacement part. I changed out the lower gears (1-10) and the new part fixed the problem. YT’s response to this problem was excellent. The only tools I needed to handle this was a small Allen wrench, a torque wrench, and chain whips. Kudos to YT!

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Glad to hear that! I've got a base model with 450 miles, the chain is jumping all over the place. The chain isn't too worn, the hanger is straight and the mech is adjusted perfectly. I read of the same problem with the slx cassette in another thread. :(

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I had the same problem too...at the Mill they told me it will make that shift after the chain and cogs break in a little. They took it in the back while I was there to pick it up...but it didn't fix it. The limit screw is all the way out and not making contact with the derailleur at all...so basically the cogs need a spacer behind them...OR a different cogset. Do you remember who you spoke with there? It'd be nice to get this fixed asap.

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
Glad to hear that! I've got a base model with 450 miles, the chain is jumping all over the place. The chain isn't too worn, the hanger is straight and the mech is adjusted perfectly. I read of the same problem with the slx cassette in another thread. :(
Same here.... base model...

MoWind

Jun 20, 2019
Garden Valley, Idaho
I spoke with Austin and Andreas. Also, I misspoke in my original post. The replacement was the HIGHER gears (2-11). eThirteen’s eSpec cassette is two parts, one is the lowest gear (46 teeth), the other is the ten highest gears (39 teeth to 9 teeth). It felt out of adjustment, but apparently the problem is the machining of the cassette part. The replacement was easy and it really did fix the problem.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I also had the same issue and I took it back to YT and they
fixed it. What was annoying was they knew about the issue
and even had replacement cassettes but didn't bother to
replace mine before I picked it up a week ago. I could tell
after the first ride that something was wrong.

In the end it's fixed and works great now so all is good!

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
Well...I guess I'm calling them on Tuesday then and getting this sorted. Bums me out too when I complained about on the day I picked it up, they tried to fix it (so they said) and told me it will get better over time...which is plausible...oh well, I'm sure this will get sorted the right way.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I have a Decoy Pro Race and had problems shifting into 11th gear. YT told me there is a known problem with a certain batch of cassettes so they sent me a replacement part. I changed out the lower gears (1-10) and the new part fixed the problem. YT’s response to this problem was excellent. The only tools I needed to handle this was a small Allen wrench, a torque wrench, and chain whips. Kudos to YT!

I would've expected nothing less!!

jbetker

Aug 30, 2019
Boulder, CO
What were your problems, out of curiosity? I think I might be having something similar. If I adjust my Di2 so that it can reach 11th gear, 2nd gear becomes unusable (chain skips between 3rd and 2nd). If I set it so that 2nd gear becomes usable, 11th is no longer reachable.

MoWind

Jun 20, 2019
Garden Valley, Idaho
It sounds like my problem; I thought it was an adjustment issue, so I called YT (wouldn’t shift into 11th gear, the 9 tooth cog). They said no, it’s a defective cassette so they sent me a new one (actually the 9-39 tooth half) and it resolved the problem. I have chain whips, so it was a very easy fix to swap the parts.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
It sounds like my problem; I thought it was an adjustment issue, so I called YT (wouldn’t shift into 11th gear, the 9 tooth cog). They said no, it’s a defective cassette so they sent me a new one (actually the 9-39 tooth half) and it resolved the problem. I have chain whips, so it was a very easy fix to swap the parts.
This was my exact problem the day I picked it up while riding around in front of the Mill...kinda bummed they didn't address it properly that day.

MoWind

Jun 20, 2019
Garden Valley, Idaho
CatButt, I understand your frustration. I’m in Idaho so everything is remote, but I have had nothing but good experiences with YT service. My Decoy Pro Race came with a broken chain stay (thanks to FedEx beating up the box), YT had a new one in my hands in two days (it took about 30 minutes to swap it out). Then once I was able to ride it I noticed the shifting issue (thought it was an adjustment issue), called YT and they had the replacement cassette part in my hands two days later. All my calls to YT have been met with exceptional courtesy and helpfulness. I honestly don’t get the negative experiences I’ve read about.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
CatButt, I understand your frustration. I’m in Idaho so everything is remote, but I have had nothing but good experiences with YT service. My Decoy Pro Race came with a broken chain stay (thanks to FedEx beating up the box), YT had a new one in my hands in two days (it took about 30 minutes to swap it out). Then once I was able to ride it I noticed the shifting issue (thought it was an adjustment issue), called YT and they had the replacement cassette part in my hands two days later. All my calls to YT have been met with exceptional courtesy and helpfulness. I honestly don’t get the negative experiences I’ve read about.

I had several issues in the sales and shipping and delivery prior to this happening...it’s not that it’s super frustrating, but it was totally avoidable as they knew there’s an issue, I pointed out at the time of delivery and the answer was “it’ll get better over time” which it might...but why not address right then and there? I have left several messages for torque specs and never got a call back...I was in specialty retail most of my life (bike shops and snowboard shops) and I give these shops a ton of leeway as I know how hard of a job it actually is. So far it would be hard for me to talk a friend into buying a YT, but I’m open minded in dealing with them and take every situation as a unique instance.

Last edited:

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
If you have a e-thirteen 9-46 cassette and have a issue of it not shifting into the 9 tooth gear, contact them at
[email protected]
YT does not warranty this item, it should be replaced under warranty through e-thirteen and they should help with this matter.

Last edited:

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
06z not sure if your talking about the same issue or not.
I think the issue that YT will take care of is not shifting
into 11th gear. Apparently e-thirteen sent them replacement
cassettes because it's a known issue. This is the issue I
had and YT put a new cassette on.

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
06z not sure if your talking about the same issue or not.
I think the issue that YT will take care of is not shifting
into 11th gear. Apparently e-thirteen sent them replacement
cassettes because it's a known issue. This is the issue I
had and YT put a new cassette on.
I just contacted yt and they told me to go directly to the manufacturer. They don't have replacements.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I just contacted yt and they told me to go directly to the manufacturer. They don't have replacements.
That's a bummer! They replaced my cassette on Friday when I went to
the mill. I guess there all out now. As long as e-thirteen sends them out
as fast as YT did then it should be fine. Still a bummer though!

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I called E13 after being told to do so by YT. Left a message. Oddly, in all my years in bike shops I never told a customer to call a manufacturer for a warranty issue. We always did the legwork for the customer and got the replacement part. Maybe that's how it's done now...I dunno.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

Great service but if it's a known issue they shouldn't send them out with defective cassettes, just tells me there is zero testing conducted on assembled units.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I believe if they manufacture it, they should warranty it. If your fork is bad, fox wood warranty it. It totally makes sense to me.

When your car radio breaks do you call the radio manufacturer or do you contact the place you bought it from or the maker of the car? How about when the microchip in your TV fails...you ring them up or the company that put all the parts together and slaps their name on it?

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
If you have a problem with your dropper post would you rather send it back to YT and get them to send it to Fox for repair, or cut out the middle man and send it to Fox directly? I can tell you it will be back in your hands faster the latter way. These parts manufacturers are ready to service you fast and efficiently so why get more people involved?

We bought these bikes directly, basically at dealer cost. When you have a part warranty issue you’re going to have to deal with it the same way a dealer would. In most cases that means dealing with the parts manufacturer directly.

Reactions: 06z

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Some people are new to the MTB world.... This is not a mass produced car, it’s a direct to consumer high performance eBike.... It’s quite common to whip off a component and send it to the OEM (or the local service centre) for a replacement, similar to what your shop will do... it’s the price a considerable amount of people are willing to pay to save thousands over a LBS brand.

My YT Jeffsy had an issue with the Reverb dropper, I sent it to SRAM and within a few days I had a brand new gen 2 dropper and it’s been good for 3 years. My Commencal has a creaking fork crown so Silverfish (the UK Fox service center) will fix and replace, no problem.

I did see a post recently of someone who had sent their bike back to YT for a creaking BB and they replaced it, although the bike was only a few days only that’s not worth the hassle in my opinion...

I do think that eBike motors add an additional layer of complexity, and I’m yet to experience any warranty work with my Shimano e8000, but it could be a bit of a hassle compared to other OEM warranty claims.

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
When your car radio breaks do you call the radio manufacturer or do you contact the place you bought it from or the maker of the car? How about when the microchip in your TV fails...you ring them up or the company that put all the parts together and slaps their name on it?
Does YT make cars and trucks? NO
This is a bicycle manufacturer. Direct to consumer. That's why the cost is so low. This isn't Toyota.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
If you have a problem with your dropper post would you rather send it back to YT and get them to send it to Fox for repair, or cut out the middle man and send it to Fox directly? I can tell you it will be back in your hands faster the latter way. These parts manufacturers are ready to service you fast and efficiently so why get more people involved?

We bought these bikes directly, basically at dealer cost. When you have a part warranty issue you’re going to have to deal with it the same way a dealer would. In most cases that means dealing with the parts manufacturer directly.

That's alright until one of these parts manufacturers tells you to take it back to whom ever sold it to you and then the seller tells you to take it up with part manufacturer, you're then stuck trying to get your stuff fixed and neither the seller or the manufacturer wants to step up.

Also, if it's a warranty issue you shouldn't be out of pocket for freight costs to get it back to a repairer plus allot of people like myself live extreme distances from a repairer let alone the manufacturer.

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
That's alright until one of these parts manufacturers tells you to take it back to whom ever sold it to you and then the seller tells you to take it up with part manufacturer, you're then stuck trying to get your stuff fixed and neither the seller or the manufacturer wants to step up.

Also, if it's a warranty issue you shouldn't be out of pocket for freight costs to get it back to a repairer plus allot of people like myself live extreme distances from a repairer let alone the manufacturer.

E-THIRTEEN is shipping out a replacement. No problems!:)

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I still have not from E13, called on Tues per YT request. YT did, however, "find" one for me and is shipping it out directly. Glad they put the effort out to get this handled quickly.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey

The direct to consumer brands spend millions with these manufacturers so they usually do a good job of keeping the consumer happy... it’s nothing new..

Freight costs, clearly that’s one of the sacrifices for saving thousands when using a direct to consumer brand, a few quid on freight... If your LBS brand has a problem do they cover fuel, parking, time off work?

Firekid

Aug 5, 2019
San Francisco, CA
Had same cassette issue on my new Decoy CF Pro Race. YT was super helpful/responsive and made sure I received a replacement cassette for free. E-13 shipped it to me directly. There was a machining issue with a batch of the cassettes that prevented access to 11th gear. Swapped it out and all good now. High praise to both YT and E13. They both give a rip about their customers. Always refreshing to see this kind of customer service. ??⚡

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles