Levo Gen 2 Moving away from Specialized.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
I have a 2019 Levo, during this time its had a new motor, 2 replacement power harness's and a replacement TCU.
Now looking like another new motor is required, thankfully still under warranty. (Just)

That lack of reliability has begun to put me off Specialized, I am on my 5th Spesh bike and my brand loyalty has been stretched.
I am now wondering whether to jump ship and move to another brand with a different motor, the fear of a fault occuring while in the depths of the Peak District scares me.

On the basis that I cant be the only one who has had such issues, what have others done.
Stuck with it, grin and bear it.
Moved to another brand and if so what brand and any regrets.

Would be curious to hear what Specialized say about their product reliability.
Thank You.

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
Do we need yet another thread for motor issues?

I'm on a fourth motor. The 3rd one was replaced before it failed, and my warranty was extended by 2 years. I would (and probably will) buy a Specialized again.

On the other hand, I understand that warranty is not automatically extended in all countries, which sucks.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Do we need yet another thread for motor issues?

I'm on a fourth motor. The 3rd one was replaced before it failed, and my warranty was extended by 2 years. I would (and probably will) buy a Specialized again.

On the other hand, I understand that warranty is not automatically extended in all countries, which sucks.

Thats a good point, I need to check for warranty extension on a new motor.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I don't mean this to be snarky, but what evidence do you have that your experience with Shimano, Bosch, Yamaha, Fazua, etc would be any better? I've needed one motor replacement on my 2019, which Spesh did no questions asked. I like the way my bike handles and delivers assistance, so I'll stick with it.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hard to know what to do for the best. Had my share of problems too but all sorted on warranty very quickly as well.And dare I say never let me down in the back of beyond. Heading out for a 80 mile two day ride on Tuesday overnight in a remote hostel so hope all goes well. Only Specialized bike I have owned but would I get same back up from other brands.

Tedgar

Dec 29, 2019
Sebring, Florida
I just learned my Commencal DH bike is already out of warranty. 2 years! WTH. My buddy had to buy his own brakes on his 2022 Santa Cruz cause the dealer said he needed to contact SRAM about the defect. I have seen guys fighting Fox on suspension issues as the dealer said they only cover the frame.

With specialized I just call the dealer. They have replaced a shock I blew up, a wheel I bashed in on rocks and 2 motors on my Levo wothout batting an eye. I would prob ONLY buy specialized from here on out. The buy in is expensive though.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I just learned my Commencal DH bike is already out of warranty. 2 years! WTH. My buddy had to buy his own brakes on his 2022 Santa Cruz cause the dealer said he needed to contact SRAM about the defect. I have seen guys fighting Fox on suspension issues as the dealer said they only cover the frame.

With specialized I just call the dealer. They have replaced a shock I blew up, a wheel I bashed in on rocks and 2 motors on my Levo wothout batting an eye. I would prob ONLY buy specialized from here on out. The buy in is expensive though.
Yes new frame , new dropper , two power cables, speed sensor cable and two motors . 6000 miles three years. Still till June next year for motor warranty to run out . Not sure what I will do when I have to buy a motor and battery , bite the bullet I suppose.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I currently have a Focus Jam needing a new battery. It has developed a fault, not a degradation issue.Out of warranty. It has already had a new motor (Shimano).

I have a Canyon Spectral On, the motor packed in two weeks ago. Torque sensor issue so new motor needed (Shimano). Out of warranty.

I have a Trek Rail which the dealer says needs a new motor (Bosch). Still under warranty. :)

My conclusion - They're possibly all rubbish.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I currently have a Focus Jam needing a new battery. It has developed a fault, not a degradation issue.Out of warranty. It has already had a new motor (Shimano).

I have a Canyon Spectral On, the motor packed in two weeks ago. Torque sensor issue so new motor needed. Out of warranty.

I have a Trek Rail which the dealer says needs a new motor. Still under warranty. :)

My conclusion - They're all rubbish.
Yes as much fun as I have had they still have a long way to go if used in anger off road in my opinion . I wonder how the road Ebikes compare ?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

I have a Canyon Spectral On, the motor packed in two weeks ago. Torque sensor issue so new motor needed. Out of warranty.

I have a Trek Rail which the dealer says needs a new motor. Still under warranty. :)

My conclusion - They're all rubbish.

We have 2022 Trek Rails, but by chance these people ...

... are only an hour's drive from us so if our Bosch motors shit themselves, guess where I'll be going? ;)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
We have 2022 Trek Rails, but by chance these people ...

... are only an hour's drive from us so if our Bosch motors shit themselves, guess where I'll be going? ;)
I spoke to them when I got my last new motor I thought about upgrading it before I used it . It was still in warranty so decided against . I'm taking more care washing etc now so see how long this one lasts 1700 miles so far . Would seriously consider it if I got another on warranty before next June. Most I got was 2600 miles out of first motor . Berkshire cycles changed second one as it was showing an error at 2000 miles though I had no problems with it .

Tedgar

Dec 29, 2019
Sebring, Florida
Not sure what I will do when I have to buy a motor and battery , bite the bullet I suppose.
I already bought one. Got a blown one for cheap and had that ebike motor guy on YouTube build up a more bullet proof one. I carry it as a spare. Once the warranty goes I will have 2 to swap back and forth. About $1100 total, but I won't be renting bikes 3 days in a row again at Kanuga. LOL.

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
Got a gen 3 Levo less than 200 miles feels very rough on steep climbs and now got a nice clucking noise when I stop peddling had 5 motors in total on my 19 levos all buttery smooth this gen 3 feels the worst didn’t have a good feeling about this one when I started riding it

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
If we all had a cadence of around 120 rpm and weighed in at around 8 stone the motors would probably last forever 😂 That’s why l’m on my third motor and second battery, cos’ l’m double that weight and half those revs.
Aye but if you were 8 stone it would be a major struggle to manoeuvre a Ebike over a 8 foot deer fence in a howling wind. You'd probably have to take wheels off and battery out

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I don't understand these issues that people have with Spesh.
Original motor, nearly 7000km now. No issues.

Before i had Cube with Bosch, and must say that Brose is much better motor. Dunno about other motor's are they any better though.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yes there are hundreds on here on their third or fourth motor if not more. Right enough you do hear of an odd person who has done many miles not that many though. I spoke to a well known repair company and they seemed to think my 2000 miles was quite a good mileage to be getting before it went twang

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Specialized have authorised a new motor for my 2019 carbon comp which is 3 years old, It will be its first replacement motor, taking it in tomorrow.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles