Motor reliabilty

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
I'm gonna sit down with a coffee and read the thread, but thought I'd reply first to get my experience off my chest.

I've been off my emtb (8 or month old Kona remote 160 with shimano E7000) since mid Feb now and it's been at my local shimano dealer whilst they go back and forward with Madison since 22nd Feb.

Apparently a new motor came the other day (I've phoned three times but never had them contact me) so had no idea what was going on to the point I recently went on holiday and bought a reduced XC bike for said holiday. I pretty much want to forget about my ebike experience so far.

Presumably the new motor fixes the issues and presumably the failure was caused by water ingress, due to the wettest weather in the UK for donkeys years and especially where I live and also the week prior to the bike dying there was an awful lot of standing water and after going through some the bike gave an error for the first time.

So my question really is - how reliable in general in terms of miles and conditions are the shimano motors, specially the E7000 and also in wetter climates? I'm just wondering if I've been unlucky, stupid in expecting some level of water resistance or they're just incredibly crap and unreliable.

*I'll add. Its not been pressure washed at all. I've not gone through rivers or any other nonsesne. But we have had especially wet weather over the last 7 or 8 months in the UK so some splashing of water is completely unavoidable as there's so much of the bloody stuff around.

Last edited:

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I've been off my emtb (8 or month old Kona remote 160 with shimano E7000) since mid Feb
The main issue I see there is the amount of downtime - they should have given you a replacement bike by now, or a loaner while yours is out of action.
Maybe stick with Bosch motors since you have excellent repair shops in the UK.

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
The main issue I see there is the amount of downtime - they should have given you a replacement bike by now, or a loaner while yours is out of action.
Maybe stick with Bosch motors since you have excellent repair shops in the UK.

Was bought ex demo unfortunately so the shimano service centre is only somewhere I've taken the bike because its got a shimano motor.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Was bought ex demo unfortunately so the shimano service centre is only somewhere I've taken the bike because its got a shimano motor.
This all sounds ridiculous, where did you buy the bike? Just because it's ex-demo doesn't make it exempt from the sale of good act if it's from a retailer. I'd be explaining to the original retailer that you've paid a lot of money for something that hasn't worked for the majority of your ownership and ask them what they can do.

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
This all sounds ridiculous, where did you buy the bike? Just because it's ex-demo doesn't make it exempt from the sale of good act if it's from a retailer. I'd be explaining to the original retailer that you've paid a lot of money for something that hasn't worked for the majority of your ownership and ask them what they can do.

I bought it ex demo from Kona marketing manager on eBay.

The bike has worked fine (early drivetrain) niggles apart for 7 months till the motor packed in. Given its a shimano motor, you take it to a shimano service centre.

I'm not really sure what you're on about. Regardless of what I ask Kona to do or not, I'm at the mercy of Madison and their shocking timescales.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles