Levo Gen 3 Motor getting noisier

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I have had my Gen3 Levo for nearly a year, approaching 1300 miles. Got on it today and it sounds like a first gen SL motor. Seems to be getting noisier. Which I notice more in the Forrest than on the road.
The motor is working between modes. No errors or overun.
I am going up to Scotland soon and will have some big rides in the middle of nowhere.
Is my motor on its way out? Do they get noisier then fail?

Thanks for any wisdom on the Brose motor.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
The first motor on my gen 2 got very noisy after about 1 year of riding, but was replaced under warranty before it failed. Here's the video I showed to my lbs to get the replacement ball rolling.

YouTube video of my noisy motor
Cheers, not that noisy yet, but I think it’s on its way. Trip back to the bike shop then and see what they say.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have had my Gen3 Levo for nearly a year, approaching 1300 miles. Got on it today and it sounds like a first gen SL motor. Seems to be getting noisier. Which I notice more in the Forrest than on the road.
The motor is working between modes. No errors or overun.
I am going up to Scotland soon and will have some big rides in the middle of nowhere.
Is my motor on its way out? Do they get noisier then fail?

Thanks for any wisdom on the Brose motor.
Ive never heard any actual increase in noise but im maybe deafer than you. My levo motors last about 2600 , 2000 and last one was 3000 all miles . That's mostly used in Scottish wilds. Last one was only one I got any noise from squealing for maybe 6 rides before it finally went. 19 Levo Expert not sure what generation that is. It wouldn't stop me jut I know what you mean. One of my motors got changed out at 2000 as it was in the shop for something else and Berkshire Cycles plugged it in and found a error code so changed motor out .It was going perfectly as far as I know. So could you get it checked out like they did to mine. I was told after last one was squealing that they won't change out for a noise but eep an eye on it .I'm a long way from any shop though. Good luck. And let us know where you go in Jockland.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
mine went for months getting noisier and noisier. Got a warranty replacement in the end but this one never actually failed

jroberts

Oct 16, 2023
mine went for months getting noisier and noisier. Got a warranty replacement in the end but this one never actually failed
Mine started acting up the day after I got it in August 2023. A new 2023 Turbo Levo SL Comp. Very noisy, over runs, skipping assist, short range (12-15 miles on Trail). It was intermittent so I hesitated to take it back to the LBS shop that sold it to me. Well, in December it was worse and acting up most of the time. I took it in and they said there was nothing wrong with it. In fact they treated me poorly, I was not accusative or angry. Just calm . When I went to get it they charged me for what they said was a firmware upgrade--something I did not ask for. The bike is worse, now. Noticeably.

Asking this group what my options are. I have an $8k bike I don't want to ride. (Big expense for me).

Oh, and the instrument panel was reset so I lost my miles and climbing data. Bummer

Thanks

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Mine started acting up the day after I got it in August 2023. A new 2023 Turbo Levo SL Comp. Very noisy, over runs, skipping assist, short range (12-15 miles on Trail). It was intermittent so I hesitated to take it back to the LBS shop that sold it to me. Well, in December it was worse and acting up most of the time. I took it in and they said there was nothing wrong with it. In fact they treated me poorly, I was not accusative or angry. Just calm . When I went to get it they charged me for what they said was a firmware upgrade--something I did not ask for. The bike is worse, now. Noticeably.

Asking this group what my options are. I have an $8k bike I don't want to ride. (Big expense for me).

Oh, and the instrument panel was rest so I lost my miles and climbing data. Bummer

Thanks
Sadly a lot depends on the shop you get it from . You'll hear on here advice saying always use a good LBS sadly some folk don't have a LBS never mind a good one . I flew to London and drove a rental car 500 miles home with a Levo as I couldn't get one in Scotland. Four and a half years later with ten thousand miles and four motors a frame and various other things all on warranty has it been worth it ?. Lots of fun but Ebike reliability has a bit to go in my opinion . Hopefully you get it sorted.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Thanks all, it seems noisier under load than usual to me. Especially when climbing in the big cogs on the back when cadence is up. No faults showing in the App. Still have a year warranty left. The LBS were decent and swapped the motor out on my previous Kenevo SL so sure they will be good with this 🀞
Looking at people’s experiences with the motor it does look like a when rather than if. Soon as I am out of warranty think I’ll be giving the bearing man a visit to get the motor waterproofed up.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I’ve got about 500 miles on mine and it is getting noisy. At the start of a ride it seems reasonably quiet, but after the motor warms up it becomes louder. Reminds me of an RC car. It also develops a ticking noise on left crank downstrokes, that’s not there at the start of a ride.

I’ll eventually take to the dealer. It’s not stopping me from riding at the moment.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Does your Levo noise sound like mine? I suspect it's the motor, also. It makes like a whistling sound for each pedal rotation I make. it's very irritating. Local Specialized dealer can't help me, Levo is not sold in my country. Here is the audio I recorded: Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

No mine is more of a click.

Latest news on my issue is Specialized has agreed to replace the motor. New motor expected this coming week.

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
My last one had a whine for about 5 rides before it went. Louder than yours but mainly on turbo.
Are you replying to me? Yes, a "whine" is another word describe it. It's not a "click" but more like a "whistle" or "whine." Really irritating not being able to figure it out. My 1 year warranty is coming up in April.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Are you replying to me? Yes, a "whine" is another word describe it. It's not a "click" but more like a "whistle" or "whine." Really irritating not being able to figure it out. My 1 year warranty is coming up in April.
Yes its or you. I'm on number 4 the first one just gave one big squeal and it was broken . I only had gone 20 yards. 2nd motor was ok but it was in shop for something else and they picked up an error and fitted a new one. Third one I told you about. 1800 miles on present one so I am holding my breath. Good luck

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Yes its or you. I'm on number 4 the first one just gave one big squeal and it was broken . I only had gone 20 yards. 2nd motor was ok but it was in shop for something else and they picked up an error and fitted a new one. Third one I told you about. 1800 miles on present one so I am holding my breath. Good luck
20 yards from brand new ?? 😳

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
Thanks. Wow. That's some really bad luck with your motors. I think I have a little under 1,000 km on this bike. I bought it in April 2023, but the whistling sound started in around May or June. Looking back, it was dumb to buy the Levo and bring it to Japan since there is no service for a Levo here. But I really don't want to buy an SL, or didn't. Maybe with the new SL 2 I might be better off since it can get serviced here if anything goes wrong with the motor.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thanks. Wow. That's some really bad luck with your motors. I think I have a little under 1,000 km on this bike. I bought it in April 2023, but the whistling sound started in around May or June. Looking back, it was dumb to buy the Levo and bring it to Japan since there is no service for a Levo here. But I really don't want to buy an SL, or didn't. Maybe with the new SL 2 I might be better off since it can get serviced here if anything goes wrong with the motor.
Someone on here said they were on number 12 that's scary. I have had a brilliant service from my dealer who's a long way away but I have posted two motors back and had a new one a few days later . I wouldn't get that service in my area . I'm wary now after my experiences. I was looking at a gravel ebike but a lot of motor brands have got issues . Imagine having two broken ebikes at the same time . If I decided on a new mtb I don't know what I would choose. Hopefully you get sorted.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm glad I have only had Shimano motors!
Zero problems.
They call you Lucky Steve though. I thought it was more Brose ones that broke going back a few years Specialized name was terrible on here anyway. Now a few other brands seem to get a bit of a slagging on this forum. More and more folk got ebikes the last few years I suppose. Like yourself many folk have no issues. My pal Simon has a 5 year old trek does absolutely no maintenance wouldn't know how to . Forks corroded as its never been washed , never missed a beat that bike .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles