Motor assistance cut out mid ride - gen 4

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi all,

I've got a new issue and looking for advice if anyone can help.

3 miles into my snowy ride today the motor assistance cut out. My kiox display is still on but it shows a dash in the battery icon instead of a battery %, this is what you see if the battery isn't in the frame, so it's not recognising the battery for some reason.

I've done a soft reset on the kiox, and have had the battery out of the frame but no luck. I've also tried a spare battery so no issue with the battery itself.
Battery mounts seem ok.

I'm going to take the motor covers off and give it all a good clean out, there is some mud built up in there, and it may have got a little bit of snow in there, but I didn't actually ride through any deep bits...
Any other ideas what this could be?

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've also taken the kiox display off its mount to check connections, all seems fine. I can still change modes on the handlebar controls but there is no speed shown

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Some things to try:-

Sounds like the battery isn't connecting to the motor.

Take the left hand cover off the motor and check all the wires are securely plugged into the motor.

Also check the contacts where the battery electrical connections are made at the bottom of the battery compartment, clean them with some electrical contact cleaner.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies. The speed sensor is in place, the gap appears to be 3-4mm but I don't think you can adjust this with the rotor type like you would with a spoke magnet?
This is what I see on the display, I'm not sure if I would have had an error code 503 if this was just related to the sensor?

IMG_20210109_130723914.jpg

@Mteam this is my thinking too, I'm about to take the motor covers off and will give it all a good clean up and check connections, same on the battery mount.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks for the replies. The speed sensor is in place, the gap appears to be 3-4mm but I don't think you can adjust this with the rotor type like you would with a spoke magnet?
This is what I see on the display, I'm not sure if I would have had an error code 503 if this was just related to the sensor?

View attachment 49536

@Mteam this is my thinking too, I'm about to take the motor covers off and will give it all a good clean up and check connections, same on the battery mount.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers
Hopefully will be a simple fix.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Motor covers off - there's a fair amount of mud around the connections. I've given it a bit of a clean out and have had the connectors off and have a little spray on contact cleaner in them, allowed to dry and refitted (motor upside down in pic)

IMG_20210109_162225134~2.jpg

The biggest connector (assume going to battery?) had a bit of mud under the plastic cover, but the seals seem to have kept the rest out
IMG_20210109_155844362~2.jpg

One of the smaller connectors looks a bit dodgy? Not sure of that's a bit of mud in there or if this would cause the issues I'm having

IMG_20210109_162818803~2.jpg

The battery mount all looks pretty clean. I've wiped some contact cleaner on the pins with cotton wool buds and gave the battery connectors a spray
IMG_20210109_161005259.jpg

IMG_20210109_161047377.jpg

Cheers for the suggestions, it might have to go back under warranty if I can't solve this.

IMG_20210109_162225134~2.jpg

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
My motor on my Orbea is similarly full of mud round where the wires plug in. The bosch dealer told me that as long as the connectors are plugged in fully they are fully water/dirt proof, so I don't think the dirt round that area is the issue if its all plugged in OK.

Maybe that bit of dirt inside that 2 pin plug is a problem though.

What about the connector that fits into the battery, ie at the battery end of the wiring. is that clean?

You could try plugging the charger in to bike (not into the battery directly) if it won't charge the battery then that probably narrows it down to a problem with the main battery wiring or conevtions

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Cheers @Mteam

The connector that goes into the battery is the 3rd/4th pic in my last post and all looks like new.
I've just tried the charger and it charges up fine while in the bike.

So possibly the cable between the motor and battery is playing up?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I reckon because it's charging OK, it's more likely to be an issue with the cable that goes from the motor to kiox.

I guess it still could be a problem in the wiring between motor and battery, but given how expose dthe kiox is, I'd be looking for a problem there. Maybe another look at the kiox mount, see if it's making contact properly, can you push it in harder, wiggle it etc

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles