Bosch Gen 4 - assistance stuck in 'off' and error code 511

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi all,

The bike is now 6 rides old from new and I've done 140 miles on the motor.

A couple of rides ago I got down to the bottom of a descent and noticed I had 'error code 511 - contact your Bosch dealer' on my kiox screen. I just OK'd this and the message went away and hasn't popped up again since.
Looking online the code means 'internal error on drive unit - contact Bosch dealer' if problem persists'

Next issue that's just cropped up on my last ride. I went to change the assistance level up from eco, but instead of going to tour it went to 'off'. The kiox display is still powered but switched to no motor assistance.
I then couldn't change out of this until I stopped riding, turned power off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on.
It happened again shortly after, so once working again I decided to just leave it in 'emtb' setting for the rest of the ride.

Has anyone had either issue?
Do you think the Volspeed could be to blame for either?

Cheers

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As far as I understood the Bosch Gen 4 came with anti tamper software. It worked by giving a couple of warnings ( your error code??) which if ignored would put the bike into limp mode. Only a Bosch dealer can reset it. It certainly sounds like that is your issue.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
As far as I understood the Bosch Gen 4 came with anti tamper software. It worked by giving a couple of warnings ( your error code??) which if ignored would put the bike into limp mode. Only a Bosch dealer can reset it. It certainly sounds like that is your issue.
The anti tamper error code is 504, so unless the op has mis remembered the error code it is not that.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies, it was definately error code 511 that popped up. I had a search but haven't really seen it mentioned anywhere.

I wasn't sure if there is any sort of simple reset I could try for the display getting stuck. What I've tried has worked so far but my concern is getting it stuck in off miles from home/van.

Or should I just contact the shop I got the bike from?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks for the replies, it was definately error code 511 that popped up. I had a search but haven't really seen it mentioned anywhere.

I wasn't sure if there is any sort of simple reset I could try for the display getting stuck. What I've tried has worked so far but my concern is getting it stuck in off miles from home/van.

Or should I just contact the shop I got the bike from?
Its worth trying a reset on the kiox, some others on here have had similar issues where the kiox would become unresponsive or would just stick in the no assistance mode and a reset fixed their issues.

The user manual says the following is how to force a reset on the kiox :-

If, contrary to expectations, the Kiox is not in a fully functional condition and cannot be operated, pressing and holding the on/off button (for at least eight seconds) will reset it. After being reset, the on-board computer will restart automatically after approx. five seconds. If the Kiox does not restart, press the on/off button (4) for two seconds

Its also probably worth doing a firmware update on the kiox to bring it up to the latest version if you are not already running that, you can do it from your phone, details here

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Its worth trying a reset on the kiox, some others on here have had similar issues where the kiox would become unresponsive or would just stick in the no assistance mode and a reset fixed their issues.

The user manual says the following is how to force a reset on the kiox :-

If, contrary to expectations, the Kiox is not in a fully functional condition and cannot be operated, pressing and holding the on/off button (for at least eight seconds) will reset it. After being reset, the on-board computer will restart automatically after approx. five seconds. If the Kiox does not restart, press the on/off button (4) for two seconds

Its also probably worth doing a firmware update on the kiox to bring it up to the latest version if you are not already running that, you can do it from your phone, details here

Awesome thankyou! Will update to latest firmware and will try the reset if it happens again.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Update: It looks like my kiox handlebar controller is dodgy. It seems to be stuck holding the '-' button down, and no other buttons do anything now and I can't get out of 'off' mode.
I'm supposed to be heading up to Scotland for the weekend riding tomorrow so I've ordered another controller which should be here tomorrow.
It's probably worth having a spare anyway, it's quite exposed so imagine it's easy to break in a crash.

I'll send the original back to the shop which I'll hopefully get a replacement for eventually.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles