• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Motor and battery replacement cost and warranty

Coletti

Mar 24, 2019
Lincolnshire
Hey all, I'm just looking into the option of buying used and wondered, if the worst happened, what would be the replacement cost for a motor and a battery? Also, if I were to replace one at my own expense, what warranty/guarantee would the replacement unit have?

Thanks in advance

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Hi Coletti. Which model are you thinking about?

I can comment on Bosch motors:

1. The warranty for the motor is 2 years from new, and does carry-over with a used bike (doesn't have to be the original owner). Also, if Bosch have to warranty-replace the motor, the 2 year warranty starts again!

2. Out of warranty, you can buy a 'refresh kit' that replaces the main point of wear in the motor (the drive-side bearings). It's around £100 I believe, and relatively easy to do yourself and/or shouldn't be a big expensive job for a capable LBS.

3. New batteries are around £500-600 for 500Wh. They're good way past 500 charge cycles (15,000 miles or more!). Never buy a faulty battery. If the battery works and is not obviously damaged, you should not need to replace it.

So, as far as Bosch motors go, I would be happy to buy second hand. Just - obviously- check the bike and motor is in a good state before you buy.

Coletti

Mar 24, 2019
Lincolnshire
Hi Coletti. Which model are you thinking about?

I can comment on Bosch motors:

1. The warranty for the motor is 2 years from new, and does carry-over with a used bike (doesn't have to be the original owner). Also, if Bosch have to warranty-replace the motor, the 2 year warranty starts again!

2. Out of warranty, you can buy a 'refresh kit' that replaces the main point of wear in the motor (the drive-side bearings). It's around £100 I believe, and relatively easy to do yourself and/or shouldn't be a big expensive job for a capable LBS.

3. New batteries are around £500-600 for 500Wh. They're good way past 500 charge cycles (15,000 miles or more!). Never buy a faulty battery. If the battery works and is not obviously damaged, you should not need to replace it.

So, as far as Bosch motors go, I would be happy to buy second hand. Just - obviously- check the bike and motor is in a good state before you buy.
Thank You. I wasn't looking at any inparticular, just gauging what sort of costs one may incur should anything go wrong.

My question on warranty/guarantee wasn't aimed at the original warranty from new. It was more a case of what if the motor has to be replaced out of warranty with a brand new unit. I'm under the assumption that the new unit, despite it being supplied after the warranty has ended, should come with at least a years warranty meaning you're guaranteed at least another year without having to pay to replace. Does that make sense?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Thank You. I wasn't looking at any inparticular, just gauging what sort of costs one may incur should anything go wrong.

My question on warranty/guarantee wasn't aimed at the original warranty from new. It was more a case of what if the motor has to be replaced out of warranty with a brand new unit. I'm under the assumption that the new unit, despite it being supplied after the warranty has ended, should come with at least a years warranty meaning you're guaranteed at least another year without having to pay to replace. Does that make sense?

Yes, if you buy a new Bosch motor (*if* because a refresh kit should be enough most of the time) it will come with a new 2 year warranty. Expensive though. Seen figures like £650 being mentioned here.

Coletti

Mar 24, 2019
Lincolnshire
Yes, if you buy a new Bosch motor (*if* because a refresh kit should be enough most of the time) it will come with a new 2 year warranty. Expensive though. Seen figures like £650 being mentioned here.
To be honest, that makes buying second hand far more viable as if you do have to shell out on a motor, you have a guaranteed 2 years of no more money required. £650 for that seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd be interested to hear if other motors are the same. Do like the idea of a refresh kit, I feel all motors should be serviceable to be honest

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles