• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

With (Bosch) motors/spares not being sold to the public - what happens when out of warranty?

Jul 30, 2022
Scotland
As I understand it, Bosch seem pretty accepting of replacing a faulty motor while still in warranty (albeit I've seen some statements of it taking forever).

When out of warranty, is it still a simple enough process but just costs you? What is the expected price range while out of warranty for repairs and replacements?

As a side rant, I'm a massive fan of owning your device/having the right to repair and it irks me that diagnostics/spares/motors are not generally available to the public.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Here’s a tale of two Bosch CX Gen4 motors.…both out of warranty. (Still the best motor IMO).

My neighbour, who rides at a higher level than I do, (exact same 2020 Trek Rail 9.7 Medium) sheared off the bracket bolts. Needed a replacement motor ($800cdn). I have the used core motor sitting on my shelf. There is nothing wrong with the “internals” of the motor. Just the drive side casing needs to be replaced. This looks like a repair that I could do myself.…if I had a new drive side casing and bracket. But I can’t buy one …yet.

Any further repairs or maintenance to the motor requires special tools and skills. I’m definitely not there yet.…but I’d like to be.

My motor is 4 years old, 10K-15Km, rode daily, completely submerged several times, washed 2-3 times a week, never serviced, and still sounds like it’s new. (a couple of cooling fins have snapped off). I know that some day my motor is going to fail.

When that day comes I want to swap in, or install, a rebuilt motor. Maybe the motor sitting on my shelf.

For the time being, I’m gonna replace the crank seals and add some more grease to help prevent water ingress. There’s a motor service in Europe (@Bearing Man Pete?) who can help. This service is not available in North America yet …that I know of.
image.jpg
Got this kit a few days ago from the LBS (Trek). Should give me something to do until the smoke from the fires clear.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Here’s a tale of two Bosch CX Gen4 motors.…both out of warranty. (Still the best motor IMO).

My neighbour, who rides at a higher level than I do, (exact same 2020 Trek Rail 9.7 Medium) sheared off the bracket bolts. Needed a replacement motor ($800cdn). I have the used core motor sitting on my shelf. There is nothing wrong with the “internals” of the motor. Just the drive side casing needs to be replaced. This looks like a repair that I could do myself.…if I had a new drive side casing and bracket. But I can’t buy one …yet.

Any further repairs or maintenance to the motor requires special tools and skills. I’m definitely not there yet.…but I’d like to be.

My motor is 4 years old, 10K-15Km, rode daily, completely submerged several times, washed 2-3 times a week, never serviced, and still sounds like it’s new. (a couple of cooling fins have snapped off). I know that some day my motor is going to fail.

When that day comes I want to swap in, or install, a rebuilt motor. Maybe the motor sitting on my shelf.

For the time being, I’m gonna replace the crank seals and add some more grease to help prevent water ingress. There’s a motor service in Europe (@Bearing Man Pete?) who can help. This service is not available in North America yet …that I know of.

Got this kit a few days ago from the LBS (Trek). Should give me something to do until the smoke from the fires clear.
We are sending regular shipments to out partner company Canada and could pop a cover in there for you. Failing that our Partner in America has a lot of Gen 4's and we are also doing a shipment for him as I type. Take a picture of your cover for me and drop me a private message and I am sure we can help no problem.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
We are sending regular shipments to out partner company Canada and could pop a cover in there for you. Failing that our Partner in America has a lot of Gen 4's and we are also doing a shipment for him as I type. Take a picture of your cover for me and drop me a private message and I am sure we can help no problem.
Pm sent. Thanks for the help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles