Most efficient battery assist settings in MC app

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
OK, so we do some extended rides to the top of the mountain, ultra steep and loose lava baby heads everywhere, multiple 15-30 minute hike a bikes across ungodly lava flows using walk mode, and I always end up with battery anxiety in my 2018 levo comp while my riding partner with a 2019 and 700 Wh battery has none. Playing with system settings to try to find the most efficient for extending battery life without having to ride in eco all the time. Have finally settled on the following: Eco 25 to 50%, Trail 50 to 80%, Boost 90 to 100%. With these extended rides I try to resist using boost as much as possible cause that just sucks the battery incredibly fast, and rely on Trail to get me up most of the steepest sections at 80% with considerably more effort. This seems to have worked well for me but I'm wondering if others have found different settings to be even better? Thanks, Jeff.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I find that getting your cadence right is the best way to get maximum battery life. There is a cadence....higher than you would use on a non e bike where you feel little pedal resistance meaning the motor is not working as hard. On loose or rough surface climbs you may be going a little slower and with a higher cadence than normal. My trail is set at 50% assist....rarely use boost.

Fuellerr

May 9, 2019
USA
Recently I upgraded my 2018 Levo cassette to the Eagle NX 12 speed and went to a 34 on the front. Just by doing this I finish my rides with 5% more battery, I have my Eco set to 30%-30% and can climb all of my local trails in Eco with no problem.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
I find that getting your cadence right is the best way to get maximum battery life. There is a cadence....higher than you would use on a non e bike where you feel little pedal resistance meaning the motor is not working as hard. On loose or rough surface climbs you may be going a little slower and with a higher cadence than normal. My trail is set at 50% assist....rarely use boost.
Yes, I absolutely agree with this as well. I like the way you describe it as a cadence where you feel little pedal resistance. I automatically employ this strategy because I had two hip replacements with only a 4 mm polyethylene liner in each one and don't want to wear them out prematurely. Unfortunately, the rides to the top of the mountain force you into a more aggressive strategy to get up the brutally steep and long sections,to get up the brutally steep and long sections, and extending the trial mode while trying to resist using boost mode seems to have helped additionally.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
I have a Kenevo with a 500Whr battery. I recently completed the Breamish Behemoth - 44 miles with 6000 feet of climbing, 6hrs51min of riding and had just over 20% battery left. I rode most of the event in ECO and used TRAIL a couple of times on particularly steep sections, no Turbo at all. I rode with analogue bikes so the pace was slow and I think this contributes to battery range and also the temperature was up at about 15degC and it was sunny and battery seems to go further when it is warm. As this ride was all about battery conservation I was using very conservative battery settings 10-20, 20-40 & 45-75. With these settings riding in ECO doesn't feel that different to OFF when on the flat but definitely gives a gentle push on climbs. I still found I was edging ahead of the analogue bikes I rode with and these people are about the same fitness level as me when on my analogue bike. Of course, if I go for an hour long ride or a ride with other ebikes, I don't use these settings, unless I'm trying to improve my fitness!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles