Most durable drivetrain brand / parts for a 2022 levo - need my third cassette in 8 months and I want to replace the lot with something durable

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Before anyone says "technique at me, I'm 123KG and 2.02m, I am heavy handed and thats just not going to change so it's replacement parts made of something more durable than whatever the stock parts are please!
I was recommended Sun Race?

Cheers for any pointers !

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Shimano has a new Drivetrain called LinkGlide that lasts 300% longer than Deore. It's also less money.

The cassette is a boat anchor however.

What's interesting is the weight increase makes the various gearboxes and hubs and what not, not seem heavy any longer.

In my experience waxing chains makes them last dramatically longer.

GL

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Shimano has a new Drivetrain called LinkGlide that lasts 300% longer than Deore. It's also less money.

The cassette is a boat anchor however.

What's interesting is the weight increase makes the various gearboxes and hubs and what not, not seem heavy any longer.

In my experience waxing chains makes them last dramatically longer.

GL
Appreciate that thanks - I mean, unless we’re talking kilos I reckon I can’t tell the difference, I’m riding at 150kg fully loaded! I’m going to look this up right now huge thanks

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
How many kilometers you did in 8 months? I guess we have here something very fundamentally wrong and no cassette or chain will make it different.

Last edited:

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
How many kilometers you did in 8 months? I guess we have here something very fundamentally wrong and no cassette or chain will make it different.
A lot depends on the riding conditions though. Through wet slop I could go through a chair in 100miles or less.

I've found hot waxing the chain to be the biggest improvement. More effort, but the whole drivetrain lasts significantly longer. As in, multiple times the duration.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Maybe 3500? All off road, South Downs, I’m not expecting miracles :) mostly in the mud and filth we have had for so long

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
If you rode 3500 miles in 8 months in the mud you already have found durable. Try a cheap steel cassette from sun star, change to 10 or 11 speed.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
If you rode 3500 miles in 8 months in the mud you already have found durable. Try a cheap steel cassette from sun star, change to 10 or 11 speed.
Cheap steel cassette is what I’m after - in general I think it’s a con that you can pay 7000 for a bike and it wears out with mild use! I’ve not changed the brakes on my Tesla in 90,000 miles!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Cheap steel cassette is what I’m after - in general I think it’s a con that you can pay 7000 for a bike and it wears out with mild use! I’ve not changed the brakes on my Tesla in 90,000 miles!
Ebike specific drivetrains are coming but being you are a large mammal and you ride in the mud there's not much you can do.

Mud and wet kill drivetrains fast!

There a a lot of uk specific ebike issues I've noticed on this forum that we don't see as much in California. I try to not ride when it's muddy! Not something you guys can avoid.

Having said that I went through 2 cassettes in 3500 miles in an historic drought , also took me 2 years! 3500 in 8 months? Open your checkbook

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I have been riding sun race cassetes (11-40) for two years, with shimano deraileurs and chains. The cassete lasts 1.000-1.500 km, the same distance takes two or three chains to 0,75 strech.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I posted last week about the discount on Linkglide at the moment, €110 before VAT for a COMPLETE SET, although the prefered 10speed cassette may need to be sourced elsewhere.
I order a set a few months back at a higher price! £170 delivered.
H&S Bike-Discount GmbH
Also check the price of the 11 speed XT.
Can’t get any better for the price for purpose built steel cassette. People blow on about the weight but the newer cassettes are now lighter.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Assuming it is 3500km (so 2100 miles), and the OP is needing their third cassette in that time, each one is lasting about 1k miles, which I don’t think is bad considering it’s in mud and filth and the weight etc.

The Eagle NX cassette is pretty hard wearing, but will need a Shimano HG freehub, but the mostly steel cassette cogs (all but the largest ring) will last a lot longer than an alloy GX one, for example.

They don’t call U.K. mud ‘grinding paste’ for nothing! 😁

Straker

Jan 9, 2020
Wiltshire
whatever drive train you go for…. Get a chain cleaner something like a park cm 5.3 and use it after ever ride… slow down the wear rate …. Buy a chain gauge and swap out chains frequently

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I've been really impressed with how little wear I have on my XG1299 after 1400 very abrasive, dirty miles there's almost no wear. Yes the TiN has worn through in places but the cassette itself is practically new still.

Unfortunately they are a bit spendy, but it's I feel that I'm getting good value compared with other, cheaper, cassettes that I've worn out completely in less than a thousand miles.

The other thing with the XD/XG setup is that they just don't come loose on their own, unlike every other type that I have ever had.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Another vote for chain waxing. Get (at least) two chains. FULLY strip the factory crap off them and wax carefully (I'm just using the easy Squirt liquid wax).
After a muddy ride, wash the bike as normal including the chain, DRY the chain with a rag and hair dryer immediately and then re-wax the chain on the bike with more Squirt within a day or so. Switch chains every month (150miles) or so ideally but I must admit to being a bit lax with this.
Also keep a close eye on front chainring wear and replace regularly as this wears out much faster than anything else.

Using this system I've seen dramatic increase in lifespan even with mud that is literally composed of grind-stones.

The performance of Sunrace and NX will probably have you tearing your hair out...

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
I have the XT786 Shadow+ SGS 10-speed gearbox in my Neuron ON, which has 21,000 km, with XT 771 11-36 cassette and lasts 3,500 km and 700 kilometers each XT HG95 chain.

CaptKirk

Feb 28, 2022
Port Huron, Michigan
Before anyone says "technique at me, I'm 123KG and 2.02m, I am heavy handed and thats just not going to change so it's replacement parts made of something more durable than whatever the stock parts are please!
I was recommended Sun Race?

Cheers for any pointers !
Even a heavey weight rider can reduce wear and tear on the cassette by NOT shifting under load, and staying out of lower toothed gears at lower speeds. And shifting before you need it instead of after the fact. There I did not mention the "T" word, but it is what it is. You might consider an 8-9 speed cassette which can accomedate a heavier chain

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
I would check out the new Shimano LinkGlide.

They dont go bigger than 11 speed ( plus 9 &10) which is plenty enough for me. Apparently the large cassette rings have much deeper cut ( ie bigger) teeth only made with steel. They dont use the new microspline either.

Even with my 2022 S Works Levo, I stick with 11 speed for durability and strength.

No direct experience of the Linkglide, but it sounds quite a sensible idea and Shimano shifting is always top quality.

YZDude

Aug 28, 2022
Eagan, MN USA
Keep in mind on what constitutes ‘high end’ MTB parts - lightest weight possible, and sort of durable.
Now, Flip that thinking for your ebike - strength first, weight…ehh.
I’m running KMC eBike chain and Sunrace steel cogs. On a Bafang M600 120nm motor that really doesn’t let off quickly for shifts, so they’re all hard. One season down, still in fine shape.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles