Moab vs Alps

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Hi mates, how are you?

If you were planning a mtb trip wich place do you think is more exiciting to ride?

The Alps should got the faster and longer descends, but the Moab, I been recently watching a lot of videos and looks impressive.

Wich one do you think is the one to go?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
think Moab is pretty limited on ebike riding and from what I gather they are pretty strict about enforcement.

Pretty much all the dope trails are off limits.

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
Moab vs Alps? Two completely different worlds!

I've been to Moab and it's definitely classic XC riding. No big steep downhills there (save for a small portion of the whole Enchilada), but the decor is very spectacular. You are in the desert though, so no stopping along the way to enjoy capuccinos or lunch on a terrace. Would not call Moab a particularily fun town either, save for one or two OK-ish bars that still have life past 7 p.m.

Europe is an entirely different experience, especially for e-bike riding. Never been to the Alps but have ridden in Northern Italy, France and Portugal. E-bike riding is very well accepted very developed compared to America. Many resorts also have e-bike oriented trails and suggested routes. In fact, many have charging stations in popular restaurants and bars!

My next destination will be Portes du Soleil for sure. I will do a mix of Park/DH riding as well as a few e-bike days.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Trail access should be thoroughly considered I agree, contacting the local shops would be the most trusty info.
The slickrock trail is Moab signature and is the only one really different from other places. Other trails on desert surface or the mesas are more similar to trails you can find elsewhere, dusty and rocky with endless rockgardens. The trails that start at the La Sal mountains like the Whole Enchilada will give bellow treeline fantastic riding but I doubt they will be legal for ebikes, but honestly they are better for normal bikes that you can rent.
Besides the riding, climate, costs and lifestyle are the biggest difference.
In the alps you will find more singletrack that can be climbed with an ebike.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Moab vs Alps? Two completely different worlds!

I've been to Moab and it's definitely classic XC riding. No big steep downhills there (save for a small portion of the whole Enchilada), but the decor is very spectacular. You are in the desert though, so no stopping along the way to enjoy capuccinos or lunch on a terrace. Would not call Moab a particularily fun town either, save for one or two OK-ish bars that still have life past 7 p.m.

Europe is an entirely different experience, especially for e-bike riding. Never been to the Alps but have ridden in Northern Italy, France and Portugal. E-bike riding is very well accepted very developed compared to America. Many resorts also have e-bike oriented trails and suggested routes. In fact, many have charging stations in popular restaurants and bars!

My next destination will be Portes du Soleil for sure. I will do a mix of Park/DH riding as well as a few e-bike days.

Not steep? Captain ahab says hold my beer.... what about portal trail? I’ve only ever ridden slick rock trail but above trails look gnar.. no?
I’ve for sure heard that Moab is a hold out for ebike access and they are fighting it tooth and nail.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
You can stretch the trip a little and reach the redbull rampage site looking for steep. Just a few hours drive through some beautiful landscape.

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
Been to Moab. Ehhh. Would rather ride my local stuff. Everything look the same. It’s a friggen desert. Now the alps sounds awesome. Never been

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
Not steep? Captain ahab says hold my beer.... what about portal trail? I’ve only ever ridden slick rock trail but above trails look gnar.. no?
I’ve for sure heard that Moab is a hold out for ebike access and they are fighting it tooth and nail.

I’ve ridden Capt Ahab. Lots of tough climbing, but no long thrilling downs. Can’t comment about Portal.

Again, it depends what you’re into and I’m more about Enduro and DH than I am about XC. Moab is definitely more XC.

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Zillertal, Tirol, Austria
Hi mates, how are you?

If you were planning a mtb trip wich place do you think is more exiciting to ride?

The Alps should got the faster and longer descends, but the Moab, I been recently watching a lot of videos and looks impressive.

Wich one do you think is the one to go?
I can only comment on the Austrian (Zillertal) Alps. I live at 1200m so as soon as I get out the door I am in them. I can ride to 2500hm and descend down to 500hm. This is why I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Turbo Levo Comp.
The trails are varied from singletrack, full on downhill, flow trails, forest roads and off piste madness. There is no charge at all.
The one thing I can say with certainty here is that there is a lot of mountain 'hütten' here you can eat, drink and charge your bike. Enjoy the views and believe that you are in cycle heaven,,,

Here is a link to the Zillertal Arena so you can check it out;
Startseite Sommer - Gerlos - Zillertal Arena
Cycling & Mountain Biking - Krimml - Zillertal Arena

This area is extremely bike friendly and pretty much everything is open access.
You can take the ski lift from June until the end of September. This of course costs, but with an Emtb you can thoroughly enjoy the climbs as well. The views are spectacular and the air and quiet is amazing. I have never used the French/Italian Alps/Dolomites (yet!) but I understand they are rather overcrowded. Here it is relatively bike traffic free.
Be aware that everything under you is hard - stones rocks and gravel. Might be useful if you are going for it to wear some body armour.... Its not a little pootle around the forest with gentle landings if things go a little awry...

One thing you will need though - a bell, and a loud one. Lots of walkers here and they are a little precious about mtb in general. So do yourself a favour and make sure you can give plenty of warning to the sandal and socks brigade (I do a lot of walking myself, and there can be some real uneducated and selfish twats on bikes too!).

Rental bikes are readily available, fully Emtb from about 40€ a day.
I dont want to mention it but I will, that I own a modest pension here and we cater for mtbs and cyclists in general in the summer months.

Try the Alps, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have been on my MTB in the alps for 30 years, and 3 years now on the eMTB and they are Friggin HUGE. I have ridden such a small percentage of the possible rails that it is not worth mentioning it.
Biked the Transalp last year from Germany through Austria, Switzerland and to Italy and I can only say Pick the Alps. The trails were amazing, views Awesome and the different cultures / foods added to the fun.
But I haven't ridden in Moab so who am I to say.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Whatever the OP choice, the advice to wear all the protections is precious.
And if you really decide to ride without do it on the last day and not on the first like I did on my first international travel. And don’t ask me why....
?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I've ridden both. There isn't anything in the US like the alps and nothing in Europe like Moab. I think everyone should ride in Moab at least once, but the alps have far more mileage and better after riding fun. Considering the current climate for emtbs in Moab, I'd suggest the alps and come back to Moab when ebikes can go everywhere.

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
Much better choices in us than Moab. Sedona is way better but no ebikes. I love Jakes rocks north of Pittsburgh pa. Tiny little town. Awesome trails. Would ride that over Moab

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I've ridden both. There isn't anything in the US like the alps and nothing in Europe like Moab. I think everyone should ride in Moab at least once, but the alps have far more mileage and better after riding fun. Considering the current climate for emtbs in Moab, I'd suggest the alps and come back to Moab when ebikes can go everywhere.
I have ridden both.

In the summer Moab is too hot, easily over +40 C in the afternoon. So you have start at 6 o'clock in the morning and stop immediately after noon. But nice riding if go at same trip to Fruita and Grand Junction Colorado. Moab's Hole Enchilada from top of the La Sal mountain is good and long. Maybe a lot of emtb restrictions?

The Alps has more choices and nice long high alp routes. Different countries and cultures and don't forget the food. Each location is a short drive away, so you won't waste your vacation driving.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Thanks all for the answer ;)

The thing is, I got the Pyrenees “close” here and I been riding there many times. I know alps are even better but the scenario is about the same. The Moab with that huge rocks moles, the desert etc ... is something very different, but it has to be a real good riding experience, I mean, for touring the place I rather rent a quad or some like this ...

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa

The thing is, I got the Pyrenees “close” here and I been riding there many times. I know alps are even better but the scenario is about the same. The Moab with that huge rocks moles, the desert etc ... is something very different, but it has to be a real good riding experience, I mean, for touring the place I rather rent a quad or some like this ...
Moab, regardless of riding is a must see, arches park, canyons etc. you can do slick rock trail as it’s open to Motos. It’s an incredibly beautiful area and you will not be disappointed if you go!!

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California

Ive been to Moab a few times, but not since I’ve had a eMtb. ebikes aren’t allowed on the mtb only trails yet but there are so many 4x4 trails that they are allowed. Every time I’ve been has been in a 4x4 Jeep or RZR side by side. The 4x4 trails would be fun on a eMtb, but renting a side by side or Jeep would probably be better. If you just want to go to Moab because it’s on your bucket list then go! Its like no other place I’ve been! I think Utah in general is one of the most beautiful states here in the USA. That’s just my opinion though. I can second what’s been mentioned though. There’s no nightlife, very few amenities, and it is a desert. It’s basically a hippy town of around 5000 year round residents. Not a bad thing just different than Europe.

if you’re down to rent a 4x4 or side by side along with your eMtb then I’d recommend Moab.

that’s my 2cents

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles