Meta power full frame bearings overhaul (alternatives to the €79 Commencal kit)

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
I am just about to replace all the bearings on my Meta Power 29, the kit from Commencal costs €79 which seems a little bit steep for 12 bearings, has anyone used alternatives or even higher quality ones on their frame yet?

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
it'd be £70 plus shipping buying all 12 bearings from kinetic
The 3802s aren't cheap
Felt a bit pricey and the ones on the Commencal (I think they are Enduro) weren't amazing, I was hoping to get NSK or SKF of some other alternative with a decent reputation.
It's obviously not overly expensive but I would prefer higher quality if it meant less creaks (hopefully it isn't the internal BB in the motor).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My E8000 is creaking like a bastard right now. They all do it eventually. I've actually lost count of how many replacement motors I've had now.
to check if it's your main motor bearings, simply grab each crank arm and feel for play/creaks. you can visibly see the (radial) play at both the crank arms and the chainring when they're on their way out. Don't confuse it with the built in (sprung) axial movement they axle has from new. Once radial play sets in it gets gradually worse (no shit!) and the motor eventually starts grumbling the more torque it's outputting. I'm at this point just now, but done nothing about it yet as life's still on hold since coming down with the virus.

As for your pivot bearings, drop your shock and stick the bike in a workstand and check the bearings at each individual pivot point for play, smoothness and creaking. If in doubt, undo the fixing hardware and take a look. you can usually pop the bearing seal off carefully with a scalpel/blade.

You've probably already discounted this but worn/dry Dropper posts can also be a cause of annoying creaking. Even when you're not seated. as can axles. mech hangers, headsets, stems, bars and controls etc... Oh.. .the joy of trying to find an annoying creak on a bloody Ebike, eh?

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
My E8000 is creaking like a bastard right now. They all do it eventually. I've actually lost count of how many replacement motors I've had now.
to check if it's your main motor bearings, simply grab each crank arm and feel for play/creaks. you can visibly see the (radial) play at both the crank arms and the chainring when they're on their way out. Don't confuse it with the built in (sprung) axial movement they axle has from new. Once radial play sets in it gets gradually worse (no shit!) and the motor eventually starts grumbling the more torque it's outputting. I'm at this point just now, but done nothing about it yet as life's still on hold since coming down with the virus.

As for your pivot bearings, drop your shock and stick the bike in a workstand and check the bearings at each individual pivot point for play, smoothness and creaking. If in doubt, undo the fixing hardware and take a look. you can usually pop the bearing seal off carefully with a scalpel/blade.

You've probably already discounted this but worn/dry Dropper posts can also be a cause of annoying creaking. Even when you're not seated. as can axles. mech hangers, headsets, stems, bars and controls etc... Oh.. .the joy of trying to find an annoying creak on a bloody Ebike, eh?

Yes, on inspection bearings are shot in places which is pretty understandable considering the conditions we ride in. I have replaced the headset and fitted a Works Components angle set to slacken it by 1.5 degrees too, dropper post is next but I fear the creak is internal, may just have a go at doing the motor myself. Good luck with the virus btw!!

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
I thought I would update my progress on the bearings service for the Meta Power 29.
So, maybe its just my bad luck however first thing is that the bearings were an absolute nightmare to remove, now I am a very adept bicycle mechanic (if I do say so myself) but these ones had been put in completely dry from the factory causing them to seize in the frame and pivots, also due to the shape of the yoke etc they couldn't be pressed out so I had to use the clamp the inner race and bash out method (this is the way that the recommended Ride Alpha bearings tool works). There were also a couple of retaining C clips on one set of bearings that had made their way under the outer race of the bearings which meant they had to be destroyed to remove the bearings in question. I managed to get them out but it took a good 4 hours and a lot of ingenuity to do it without damaging any of the housings.
So all fine and ready to fit the new bearings that I ordered from Commencal for €85 or so I thought, well it turns out that 4 out of the bearings were the wrong ones and actually they had sent me the wrong set, no big deal really as I contacted them and told them of the issue, unfortunately this resulted in a bit of back and forth emails as giving them the bearing set code and types I ordered that had not arrived must have got lost in translation.
They stopped replying to my emails and suddenly the Meta Power bearing set has disappeared from their website completely, ffs!
Anyway, long story and all that but I would recommend that if you have a Meta Power, get all the bearings out as soon as possible, particularly if its brand new and get them really well greased as that will save you a lot of trouble down the line and if you do require to change any, just order them from a local bearing supplier, it may even end up less expensive. Also, have a look at the technical diagrams of the bike from the Commencal website as this will help guide you for which direction to go, where the C clips are and where the spacers between the double row set are positioned.

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
Forgot to mention, on the positive side, the new bearings and headset are installed and combined with another new chain, rear jockey wheels, cassette and front chainring, the bike is running so well and is almost completely silent again.

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
What bearing removal and instalation tools do you have?
I have numerous, from rrp to x-tools to some random home engineered ones very similar to the Ride Alpha Commencal ones, the presses were fine, I have done many carbon bikes before but the Commencal bearings were the toughest I have come across to get out. What are you using as pullers?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Have access to tons but mainly use this
Frame Pivot Bearing Removal & Installation Tool (Full Kit covering 12 sizes) - Kinetic Bike Bearings Kinetic Bike Bearings
and
Slide Hammer Bearing Extractor Tool with 9 Expanding Collet attachments - Kinetic Bike Bearings Kinetic Bike Bearings
between them, those two sets make most otherwise tricky/stuborn frame bearing removal and fitting work a far quicker and far more pleasureable experience.
A bench vice, bearing race & seal driver kit, and heat gun can sometimes be pretty handy too.

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
Have access to tons but mainly use this
Frame Pivot Bearing Removal & Installation Tool (Full Kit covering 12 sizes) - Kinetic Bike Bearings Kinetic Bike Bearings
and
Slide Hammer Bearing Extractor Tool with 9 Expanding Collet attachments - Kinetic Bike Bearings Kinetic Bike Bearings
between them, those two sets make most otherwise tricky/stuborn frame bearing removal and fitting work a far quicker and far more pleasureable experience.
A bench vice, bearing race & seal driver kit, and heat gun can sometimes be pretty handy too.
Cheers! I'm glad it's not just me but the bench vice and blowtorch were helpful last week lol...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles