Max tyres age

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Hello!

Normally for cars I replace tyres after 4 years, no matter what is the consumption status.

Do you have any "rule" to replace tyres based only on their age?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
No I don't.
I tend to wear them out in about 12-18 months depending upon compound. I get rid of them sooner if the conditions don't suit at the time they are showing signs of wear.
I do have spare tyres left over from previous bikes that are becoming quite old. 26x2.1" Maxxis Medusa anyone? (XC mud tyres).

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
No ...
I have an Assegai on the front which refuses to die ..3.5 years old and still going strong with over 3,700 miles on it ..
I just wish motors would last as long ( awaiting my second replacement with conversations between Wheelbase & Bosch ongoing ..so I can't take a pic to prove it 😁)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There is a significant performance difference between a brand new tyre and one that is part worn. It is not the fact that the tread pattern still has wear left that signifies the tyre is still good/ at its best.........it is the edges of that tread pattern plus the "rebound" quality of the tyre overall that determine its demise ( the compound exposed to cold/heat/wet will harden). Obviously it depends how much the bike is used and on what sort of terrain but I would guess most mtb tyres are well past their best after less than a year. The softest compounds even less than that!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
There is a significant performance difference between a brand new tyre and one that is part worn. It is not the fact that the tread pattern still has wear left that signifies the tyre is still good/ at its best.........it is the edges of that tread pattern plus the "rebound" quality of the tyre overall that determine its demise ( the compound exposed to cold/heat/wet will harden). Obviously it depends how much the bike is used and on what sort of terrain but I would guess most mtb tyres are well past their best after less than a year. The softest compounds even less than that!
Not disputing that fact ..however being a tight arse / like value for money there is very little tread wear and I havent noticed a significant loss of performance on the aforementioned tyre ..its ridden pretty hard on all manner of terrain .
There is a Minnion DHF waiting to take its place ..but its now got to the stage where I want to see how far either it or myself will go before we die !😁

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Thank you all for your inputs.

If you're not wearing them out after a couple of years then maybe you're not riding hard enough to worry . . or have too many bikes.

I am not riding too many km/year and not doing too many technical trails. Neverthless, when you need traction you need traction.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is a lot of difference between a single compound tyre and a triple compound tyre. Or one designed for speed (hard compound) or one designed for grip (soft). I know that one will wear very well and one won't, but what the relative difference is, I have no idea.

But that is wear. What difference does the compound have on ageing? Again, no idea.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not disputing that fact ..however being a tight arse / like value for money there is very little tread wear and I havent noticed a significant loss of performance on the aforementioned tyre ..its ridden pretty hard on all manner of terrain .
There is a Minnion DHF waiting to take its place ..but its now got to the stage where I want to see how far either it or myself will go before we die !😁
I think wear is less critical on a front tyre because the tread pattern ( especially on an Assegai) does not need sharp edges to prevent sideways slip albeit braking capability may be reduced. I would be inclined to run a part worn front tyre at slightly higher pressures than when new due to the reduction in the flexibility and rebound of the compound.

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
Technically tires degrade over time even when they're not being used. 6 years, assuming decent storage conditions (cool and dark), would be a reasonable shelf life.

Of course usually tires wear out (or become damaged) long before that.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Technically tires degrade over time even when they're not being used. 6 years, assuming decent storage conditions (cool and dark), would be a reasonable shelf life.

Of course usually tires wear out (or become damaged) long before that.
This is exactly what I was talking about.

Thanks for sharing.

I would add that 6 years I believe is for a tyre that is stored and not yet used. Once you start using it the life span is lower than that.
Agree?

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
I would add that 6 years I believe is for a tyre that is stored and not yet used. Once you start using it the life span is lower than that.
Agree?

Arguably yes, a tire that is being used will age quicker than when stored as it's exposed to heat and UV from sunlight. However I think it's probably academic as a tire that is being used will normally wear-out long before it "ages-out". A tire that is very rarely used will probably have the same life expectancy as a tire in permanent storage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles