Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Anyone find these weapons sit very low?

Is it just me and my lack of speed and technique?

Every time i ride it I smack the pedals or the motor or chain ring. In this pic I got off on the approach as I knew what would happen if I tried to ride it.

marinlow.jpg

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Thatā€™s one of the reasons why I went with a 170mm fork and 29ā€ wheel on the rear.
Yep, I did exactly the same. And also went down to a 36 tooth chainring.

Has reduced the number of pedal strikes and motor / chainring hits to virtually zero.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Yep, I did exactly the same. And also went down to a 36 tooth chainring.

Has reduced the number of pedal strikes and motor / chainring hits to virtually zero.
I always thought the 38 tooth chainring was a bit of an odd choice but in real use it has not been the grind I initially thought it would be. I will change it when worn out though.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Had my first spin today on the E2 in full 29er mode. Too early to tell if it means reduced pedal strikes, but I don't recall any so the early signs are good. I had some good personal results too so perhaps it also rolls faster as a 29er though it could just be the weight saving from not running the Marin Wheels and the Cushcore inserts.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 16.05.50.png

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
I'm now three rides in on the E2 as a full 29er and for sure there is way less pedal strikes than in the mullet setup. How can a couple of mm make such a difference?

slwbkr

Jul 10, 2023
PA, USA
I just ordered an E1. I want to get a fidlock water bottle for frame. I was wondering what size water bottle other people were able to fit on this bike.
Thanks

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Owners of medium and small frames, what is the consensus of opinion regarding the fork/frame bump stops?

I have lost one of mine after it got damaged in my most recent crash.

I am aware we can replace with the same again from Marin or we can replace with a "better" solution from cyclesolvers
One-piece fork bump stops for Marin Alpine Trail E1/E2 | Cycle Solvers

I would be inclined to go with the cyclesolvers part however it looks to me that the medium frame has ample clearance that the fork tops won't hit the frame. So is frame protection in this area just not needed?

What do we all say?

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
The crown of the fork (I forgot which side, damper or air) will hit on a size medium frame. Iā€™ve used 2-3 layers of mastic tape in place of the bump stops but after a few impacts, I didnā€™t feel comfortable leaving the bump stops off. That cycle solvers piece looks interesting. When putting back the stock bump stops, I used 3M double sided tape to keep the bump stops in place. No issues since.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
The crown of the fork (I forgot which side, damper or air) will hit on a size medium frame. Iā€™ve used 2-3 layers of mastic tape in place of the bump stops but after a few impacts, I didnā€™t feel comfortable leaving the bump stops off. That cycle solvers piece looks interesting. When putting back the stock bump stops, I used 3M double sided tape to keep the bump stops in place. No issues since.

I guess I need to double check my bike to see will it make contact. I only took a very quick look when I realised one of the bump stops had fallen off and it looked to me like there was more than enough clearance.

coney

Sep 28, 2023
Rotorua
Yeah at full lock, one side of the crown will hit the frame. At least it did on my size medium.
my medium has clearance of like 2mm without the bumpers? only found out after massive stack ripped my bumper off. bought some replacements tho - aesthetically they make sense I think, and useful when working on the bike.

chucked a custom built dt swiss FR560 350 hub + maxxgrip DHF DD casing on the rear - thing corners nicely now - will be even better with a dedicated rear tread. bb clearance not so much of an issue on the trails I ride, but definitely makes a difference from the stock rim and tyre - not so much squirm/flex, plus I can huck it about and not break spokes/dent rims anymore.

still stoked as on it - last 3 months been a gamechanger. picked up a second battery and clocked up 60kms of straight winch and bomb enduro riding the other day. super weird stopping still after spending 5 hours with the world coming at you at pace like that-felt drunk. am definitely noticing zone 2 fitness and upper/core body strength improvements. am missing a bit of top end leg power on the old bikes, nothing a few squats won't fix though. well worth the extra laps and experience I'm getting on hard to reach trails, and I'm scouting out of the way tracks heaps more too.

makes me wonder - what's been the biggest change your e has made to your riding?

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
my medium has clearance of like 2mm without the bumpers? only found out after massive stack ripped my bumper off. bought some replacements tho - aesthetically they make sense I think, and useful when working on the bike.

Thanks for the input, yeah mine too seemed to have just enough clearance. But in the end I bought the bumper solution from cyclesolvers and fitted it anyway just for peace of mind more than anything.

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA

chucked a custom built dt swiss FR560 350 hub + maxxgrip DHF DD casing on the rear - thing corners nicely now - will be even better with a dedicated rear tread. bb clearance not so much of an issue on the trails I ride, but definitely makes a difference from the stock rim and tyre - not so much squirm/flex, plus I can huck it about and not break spokes/dent rims anymore.

still stoked as on it - last 3 months been a gamechanger. picked up a second battery and clocked up 60kms of straight winch and bomb enduro riding the other day. super weird stopping still after spending 5 hours with the world coming at you at pace like that-felt drunk. am definitely noticing zone 2 fitness and upper/core body strength improvements. am missing a bit of top end leg power on the old bikes, nothing a few squats won't fix though. well worth the extra laps and experience I'm getting on hard to reach trails, and I'm scouting out of the way tracks heaps more too.

makes me wonder - what's been the biggest change your e has made to your riding?
That's odd. I remember one side of crown cleared just fine. The other side, would barely scrape the frame. I still think its better to have the bump stops just in case.

Biggest change Ebikes in general has made to my riding; I do way more miles and elevation per ride. On the local trail from my house, I used to ride to the top of the mountain (long climb) and feel exhausted when I got to the top so sometimes wouldn't have the energy to really enjoy the descent. With an ebike I can climb to the top at least 3-4 times and enjoy each descent because I have the energy to do so. Ebikes has been a game changer for me. I haven't rode my regular bike (2018 Transition Sentinel) for the past 6 months. And I probably rode it only a handful of times last year. Its been relegated to park duty lol

coney

Sep 28, 2023
Rotorua
Biggest change Ebikes in general has made to my riding; I do way more miles and elevation per ride. On the local trail from my house, I used to ride to the top of the mountain (long climb) and feel exhausted when I got to the top so sometimes wouldn't have the energy to really enjoy the descent. With an ebike I can climb to the top at least 3-4 times and enjoy each descent because I have the energy to do so. Ebikes has been a game changer for me. I haven't rode my regular bike (2018 Transition Sentinel) for the past 6 months. And I probably rode it only a handful of times last year. Its been relegated to park duty lol

Nice - do you think you're a better rider now, at least on that descent, because you're riding it more often? my e2 has super similar geo to my other rig (zerode taniwha), but I'm a little quicker on that - might have to go down the custom suspension tuning route to level up the e2 as the taniwha tracks ridiculously well. might be mental too - I used to be hyper focused on descents on the zerode given I'm mostly only ever riding a trail once that day, whereas on the e2 I can always head up and give it another go. The pressure is off, so I'm just having fun. It's a lot much more relaxed eh, and yeah - can actually sit up and enjoy the ride instead of trying not to faint šŸ˜…

krusty971

Dec 16, 2022
United States
Hey All, I've got a '21 E1 with 560miles (900KM). What kind of odometer miles are you hitting before noticing a substantial drop in battery performance? I'm killing the battery on longer rides, (it's the 504w) and I'm not sure if its distance ridden or the age/mileage on the battery? I'm the 2nd owner and I'm trying to figure out if it's time for a new battery.

2nd question, I've been looking around bunch, and it seems like my only options for "more battery" are to buy a new one, or buy a different bikešŸ˜? Not seeing any extenders that work with the E7000 and I can't fit a larger battery in this gen frame.

Thanks for any insight

Deep.5

Dec 22, 2021
Marin County
Has anyone removed the e13 Espec cranks so that they can remove the motor?
I did it in the past but now Iā€™m trying to do it again and i think im missing a step or something is stuck.
I got the crank arm off in the non-drive side but I canā€™t get the drive side crank off. I took off the dust cover and loosened both crank arm bolts. The crank arm feels a little loose but wonā€™t move away from the chainring.
Iā€™m not much of a mechanic but I have a little experience with bikesā€¦.
Thanks for any help.
Hey All, I've got a '21 E1 with 560miles (900KM). What kind of odometer miles are you hitting before noticing a substantial drop in battery performance? I'm killing the battery on longer rides, (it's the 504w) and I'm not sure if its distance ridden or the age/mileage on the battery? I'm the 2nd owner and I'm trying to figure out if it's time for a new battery.

2nd question, I've been looking around bunch, and it seems like my only options for "more battery" are to buy a new one, or buy a different bikešŸ˜? Not seeing any extenders that work with the E7000 and I can't fit a larger battery in this gen frame.

Thanks for any insight
i feel like my batteries donā€™t last as long as when the bike was new. I have two batteries because the first bike I had was stolen but they didnā€™t get the battery.
I can get about 3k feet of climbing in boost on 1 battery. I have the e2 which has 630w I think.
I love the Marin ebike but it would be nice to have a bigger battery. Iā€™ve heard people more elevation out of full- size kenevos and levos. Norco has 900w batteries.
Unless you get lucky I think new batteries are pretty expensive.

IMG_4264.jpeg

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland

Dissing the mullet in this video. Then since producing that I realised I was running a lighter spring when mullet, so im back on the mullet again now for a few rides before deciding if 29er or mullet is the permanent choice. Then again might switch back and forth often

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles