Making your own tec pack?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hey team, so I rigged up my own home made TEC pack for my Focus, its 158 Wh and seems to work perfectly. With the bike switched off you plug the pack in and the bike immediately powers on. This is different to the TEC pack - where you have to use the bikes power switch to turn it on. I'm slightly concerned this may not be good for the bikes electronics so wanted to ask if anyone has the ebooz system if this is the same functionality you experience? Also is there any direction as to what battery you should use first (internal or external)? I have a TEC pack as well but it is more capacity than I normally need so too heavy and mounted high on the frame so I wanted a smaller, lighter option that also leaves the water bottle cage free for a bottle... I can mount this is a small bag under the downtube so the weight is low. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers.

View attachment 36384

View attachment 36385
What bag are you using? I am going to design a 3d printed part but in the mean time I need a bag like you used. None of the triangle bags seem big enough for the 65mm dimension. Thanks

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I found this bike bag on Amazon and I'm using Autodesk Fusion to design an alternate battery enclosure. I think the bag would need some sort of external support under it to keep it from moving and might not protect the battery that well. The bag was $17. on Amazon.

I just updated the bag picture with a plate I added attached to the bottle mount that keeps the bag for wiggling too much. I have all the parts I need to complete this except for the Rosenburger plug which I found for $16. but will a take another week or so to arrive. This bag looks so good I don't think I'll make Autodesk part right now. It's the smaller version of this bag and if the battery doesn't fit well I'll get the larger one.

block v20.jpg

IMG_5444.JPG

Last edited:

Jaanos

Jul 21, 2020
Whistler
I found this bike bag on Amazon and I'm using Autodesk Fusion to design an alternate battery enclosure. I think the bag would need some sort of external support under it to keep it from moving and might not protect the battery that well. The bag was $17. on Amazon.

I just updated the bag picture with a plate I added attached to the bottle mount that keeps the bag for wiggling too much. I have all the parts I need to complete this except for the Rosenburger plug which I found for $16. but will a take another week or so to arrive. This bag looks so good I don't think I'll make Autodesk part right now. It's the smaller version of this bag and if the battery doesn't fit well I'll get the larger one.

I used this bag B-RAD Roll-Top Bag

be careful with placement as the shock will probably hit where you have your bag positioned at the moment.

Cheers

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I used this bag B-RAD Roll-Top Bag

be careful with placement as the shock will probably hit where you have your bag positioned at the moment.

Cheers
I did check it and it clears the shock at full travel. Close but the indent gives it enough clearance.

Nice bag and doesn't look like a battery which mine does and I'm not sure I want it look like an ebike, lol. I'm still hoping to get that Rosenberger plug "someday" because without it I'm stuck for now.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Maybe here:

Or scavenge a charger plug. I think even a Levo charger may work if you don't need the data lines?
No in fact I think while the pic of Rosenberger I ordered is the right angle plug the part number looks like it is for the receptacle and not the plug. I see now the pics are for reference only...dahhhh. I think I need a C001 (or 003) -A2-300-C.....Mouser is 100 min for most of these parts but doesn't list this PN. I ordered from nextwarehouse.com and their PN is for a C003-B1-300-C, which looks like the wrong part!

Finding a used LEVO or Focus charger is tough and expensive too. Maybe I can find a LEVO that's damaged with that plug.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
This one?

No this one, shorter cable length. But they use the exact same picture and I do not think that is the right part number.

I found this one for $73. lol.

Gspot

Jul 28, 2019
NW
I ordered one. So we will see. May take a month though. Only other I have found is
BMZ 27787. Looks like what you need but only from EU. :mad:

IMG_0081.JPG

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA

Gspot

Jul 28, 2019
NW
Yes that is the one I ordered from NextWarehouse.

Google BMZ Range Extender

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA

Yes I did see the BMZ site. That must be their proprietary range extender design using the Rosenberger plug.

I have the feeling the NextWarehouse item is the wrong end but it's worth a try anyway. There have to be a bunch of broken chargers out there since I've heard lots of complaints. I just don't know where to find them but will try some of the dealers here in SoCal.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Battery arrived, $34. on ebay and the charger, $11. Put an XT60 connector on the charger and it works. the battery is bit larger than I thought because of the bulky BMS so it's a tight fit in the bag and will stretch it (maybe break it). So I might end up with a bag like Jaanos used. I'll probably put the dps fox shock back on for more room too.

The only obstacle left is that Rosenberger plug...don't know where I'm going to find one yet!

IMG_5449.JPG

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA

You should cancel that one from nextwarehouse (unless you ordered the more expensive one for $34. which can work but is not exactly just a plug) because although the picture is correct they call out this part number: C003-B1-XXX-Y cable assembly

this is the one we need:

But this one should sort of work (it's a plug feature but in a mountable frame) and mouser has it on order, available 10/30/2020. Nextwarehouse seems to have this one for $34. and I've attempted to change my order with them to get this part. I'm sure I'm going to get stuck with parts I don't need.

Last edited:

Daslevin

Aug 4, 2020
Germany
Hi, i found this on the German pedelecforum.
F839D143-1B74-42A6-8019-49A91C12BCC4.png

DB25C5DD-724A-4050-97C5-F178C94CEE37.png

maybe it can help you. In the first picture it shows a sam2 with a hilong battery 500wh mounted. But this guy wired it with a ideal diode direct to the motor. Second picture shows the internal wire of the jam2.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hi, i found this on the German pedelecforum. View attachment 37357
View attachment 37358
maybe it can help you. In the first picture it shows a sam2 with a hilong battery 500wh mounted. But this guy wired it with a ideal diode direct to the motor. Second picture shows the internal wire of the jam2.
Thanks. Interesting and I have heard of going direct to the motor, always an option but I'm looking for something more like the TEC PAC and not permanent attachment. My project is coming along well and I'm making an 0.063" aluminum support plate for the bag I'm using. I tore out the pockets in the bag and flipped the battery and it fits much better and there is even some room for a tube. Still looking for that Rosenberger plug though, lol.

I decided not to flip the battery although it fits better that way since it puts the weight on the BMS. I did pack some foam around the bottom of the battery and it still fits (doesn't look like it) and closes. I'm not sure about heat and have to test that out.

IMG_5451.JPG

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Here are two more pics with the foam and cover open. I had hoped there would be room for a tube but no such luck. Once I get the Rosenberger plug I have to make sure this won't overheat on a hard ride.

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I dont know where you live but they send worldwide . Rosenberger
I just tried to buy it but no option for USA so I sent them an email. Thanks

I just found out that there is a 15 week lead time on the plug like part from nextwarehouse.com. I'm going to try to beg that Linergy link you sent me to try to get a couple of them sent to me.

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Would anyone be willing to buy one of these for me and send it to the US for a small fee? I have exhausted every option to find one here is the US...impossible right now.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Good news. I've just heard from Rosenberger directly and they are willing to ship these to me. The cost is about $20. Euros each plus shipping. I'm going to get 2-5 of these and then resell at cost any extras to those in the US that might need one. Speak up now if you are going to want one of these right angle Rosenberger connectors. I'm ordering the 300mm lengths which should be enough for a battery.

Powerbutler, another company from Germany is also getting me a quote for this.

Gspot

Jul 28, 2019
NW
Put me on the list (y) I wonder if they sell a cord like the TEC pack? I need one.
I would like the BMZ version so you could feed it into a frame bag. The pack won't
fit the Bold XS frame. I think if I lowered the mount it might just fit and be more solid
than a bag.

image.jpg

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I could run my pack lower but only if I went back to my Fox DPS shock. Right now you can see the support plate I made for my $17. bag. I only had hand tools to make this plate so it was a pain but still came out OK. The plug I have coming is about 12" long and they make longer ones. But any custom end configuration is probably done by the secondary supplier. I'll just put on of the xt60 connectors on the end of the Rosenberger cable so that it's easy to just unplug and charge the battery. I already put an xt60 connector on the charger and it works perfectly with the battery. Starts out red and turns green when charging is complete.

I might try to get 5 of those cables if they will sell them to better amortize the shipping costs from Germany which will probably be 35-40 Euros alone and another 100 Euros for the 5 cables. I'll let you know if they ship them so we can cancel those other cable orders we have.

IMG_5457.JPG

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
This Brose cable from Germany would cost 37.99 Euros to ship plus the cost of 36.99 Euros. About $89. for one cable!!!! I'm hoping to get a better deal directly with the factory since their cable price is only 20 Euros.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
So it's looking like those cables from Powerbutler might work out. They 1.8m long and only have the Rosenberger connector. If I buy 5 of them my cost with shipping is about $34. Then I can ship you one for just the shipping additional and anyone else that needs one.

Daslevin

Aug 4, 2020
Germany
If i am understanding right, you dont even need a Rosenberger connector. You can solder on two wires under the Rosenberger plug in the Focus harness and bring them out where you want. Then just plug your extended battery on.
If i right the System recognizes the range extender an drains it first. I see no reason why this will not work. I am planning to build a 10s5p Extension with Samsung 35e . Maybe a switch like on the tec pack is needed addionally. Greetz

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles