Lupine SL-SF hard wired light review, one month in....

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I've had about a dozen night rides with the Lupine SL-SF light system. The light connects to the motor and draws power from the Brose, so there is no additional battery required. It has a high/low beam switch on the handlebar that is very practical and reliable. The light runs as a daytime running lamp until it starts to get dark, at which point the low beam kicks on automatically. I typically shut the DRL off for daytime rides, but leave it on if I'm riding in later afternoon. There have been a couple instances of an error code coming on when I first turn on the bike since install, but I have found that if I reboot it is fine. Lupine's US team warned that there had been issues with the new Brose motors and their light so I was prepared for much worse. I have a 2020 Levo Comp so it is the most current motor. The only other issue was the light shutting off while riding one time. I rebooted and it was fine. Of course I wear a helmet light too so I've always got a back up. At first I was kind of frustrated by the cables creating shadows when the light was on, so I routed them above and below the light and held them in place with zip ties and this gave my completely unfettered lighting. It makes 1300 lumens with the 12v system in the 2020 which is more than ample. All in all it has been the single best improvement I've made to my bike and I'm looking forward to riding all winter. This light is a beautiful thing. I must also say that the folks at Lupine US were GREAT to deal with... Here is the link for the light. Lupine headlight for e-bikes with Brose drives

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Here are some pix
IMG_2176.jpg
IMG_2180.jpg
IMG_2184.jpg
IMG_2211.jpg
IMG_2734.jpg

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Thinking about buying this light too for my Bosch. Have you liked it? I was about to pull the trigger on SL X but the triangles and bright spots seem really bad.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I find it's great. I think the light is actually better from my old Serfas but this is more than adequate. I wear a helmet light too. It has been great having the light permanently mounted and powered. As days have gotten shorter there have been several rides recently where I went out a little late and turned the light on in wooded sections on my way in. I rode all winter using this light and it was great. There might be better "light" but not a better system. No charging, no remembering to mount it, no bulky external batteries and cables. The true high/low beam is awesome for adjusting your light while climbing/descending. It is truly an elegant solution.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Yeah I really liked the beam pattern of the SL F. The newer SL X has a wonky pattern which puts me off. I also have a Lupine Wilma mounted in my helmet so there’s plenty of light if I need it. I think I’ll get the F one.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Yeah I really liked the beam pattern of the SL F. The newer SL X has a wonky pattern which puts me off. I also have a Lupine Wilma mounted in my helmet so there’s plenty of light if I need it. I think I’ll get the F one.

I find that the SL/SF provides (the way I have it set up) good broad light in front of me... I have my Cygna Metro for focused movable light on my helmet. Once I dialed the set up in, it really works well, you learn to aim your head, moving left to right and up and down as needed.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I've moved the light up higher to take the cables out of play... it requires a bit of trial and error.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
3194258F-F9A6-4DB5-AE0E-AD4711A253E6.jpeg

I really like this light.
Gemini 2020 OLED 4000 lumens. Comes with a 60wh battery. I’ve often wondered if I could hardwire this to my Brose battery.

Turns night into day.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Running Magicshine Monteer myself, 6500 verified lumens and nice battery back, didnt fancy anything hardwired into my SL as it just makes another entry for water ingress. Very impressed so far.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
^In this summer I had to drive in a storm and it was raining like newer before in my life. Light started to blink on it's own and remote switch didn't affect the light at all. Afterwards all worked fine. By the way, my remote looks just like yours.

Well today, there was some rain, not too bad, and the daylight switched on by itself. Many times repeatedly. I'm little scared about the situation when it's dark and raining at the same time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles