Lights for my Turbo Levo - Lupine SL Brose Installation

cricker

May 22, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I did so much research when I bought bike lights and Exposure and Lupine were the leaders for quality.

I went exposure as I didn't want the hassle of cables. Six pack on the bars and a diablo on the lid. Never been a dull moment since!

50km/h down steep loose firetrail, never ever thought gee I wish I had another lumen. Just superb beam spread from the diablo mixed with the awesome range and power of the six pack.

Get home every night and takes about 7 seconds to pull off my helmet and the bars, straight onto the charge and do it all again the next night.

Pay for quality and you'll be so pleased every single time you use them.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I have sixpack also. And Joystick for commuting.
Very high quality lights. And sixpack; well, it’s bright

Lupine SL could be nice, though. Not same level as sixpack, no doubt about that. But i do lot of commuting, every day year around. SL would be very, very practical for my needs.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Hi Tory, Fantastic!! I need a light like that as have to ride twenty k's in pitch black. I have one very dim light and another brighter light that has a very sub standard mount, that mount you have looks the goods!
where can I buy one?

bigborett

Jul 17, 2018
Australia
Lisa and I did a ride yesterday, but all during daylight - it's bloody cold out there at the moment Andrew - I haven't done a proper night ride yet.
Yes it is a little chilly up there at night at the moment. You should have tried the tent.:ROFLMAO::sleep:

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I did so much research when I bought bike lights and Exposure and Lupine were the leaders for quality.

I went exposure as I didn't want the hassle of cables. Six pack on the bars and a diablo on the lid. Never been a dull moment since!

50km/h down steep loose firetrail, never ever thought gee I wish I had another lumen. Just superb beam spread from the diablo mixed with the awesome range and power of the six pack.

Get home every night and takes about 7 seconds to pull off my helmet and the bars, straight onto the charge and do it all again the next night.

Pay for quality and you'll be so pleased every single time you use them.

I reckon I'd better grab a helmet mounted light; how long are you finding the Diablo lasting out on the trails?

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I got answer from Specialized:
IMG_0891.jpg

So, i have Levo HT. It has 1.2(?) motor, so the current is only 1A at light output. Fsr has 1.3 motor and 2.4A. So there’s no point to me install Lupine?
Exposures can stay for awhile, until i have FSR.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
So, i have Levo HT. It has 1.2(?) motor, so the current is only 1A at light output. Fsr has 1.3 motor and 2.4A. So there’s no point to me install Lupine?
Even at 2.4A it's very limited.

I connected my light directly to the battery with a DC/DC converter and use the motor light output to switch a transistor.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
@Tori How much does this light cut into your range?

What made you decide to go with this light over a self contained unit?
600 lumens for 265€ seems a bit steep to possibly cut into my runtime and add another cable to my bars.
I can get a 2400 lumen light for the same price or less

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
@Tori How much does this light cut into your range?

What made you decide to go with this light over a self contained unit?
600 lumens for 265€ seems a bit steep to possibly cut into my runtime and add another cable to my bars.
I can get a 2400 lumen light for the same price or less

I'm unsure; I've only done a few day rides since installation. It's winter here, and the past few weeks have been cold, miserable and rainy. I'm not that inspired to ride at night at the moment, even with the new light. I have had the light running on daytime mode and I haven't noticed any significant drop in battery life from this use.

I liked the fact that the light did integrate with my bike - I would never need to charge it (not that it's a big job) and I thought that the light looked very nice and by all accounts was very effective. I've taken the bike out around the yard and it will be fine for the trail riding I do - but I will probably pair with a helmet light if I'm going bush and heading into single-track stuff at night.

To be honest, I didn't really consider cost. I suppose it's a relatively pricey unit, but it's by no means the most expensive out there.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Interesting, I really thought it was a light!

A typical 7805 need more than 1V difference to work.

Has anyone tried a different Brose display on à Levo? Something like this has a light switch and a USB output.
bmz-sportive-display.jpg
Link to this product? My 2018 turbo levo ht’s remote just broke, this looks very interesting. If it’s possibly to use with turbo levo?

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
Another interesting option for our Levos is the Supernova M99 Mini PRO-25. Even more expensive than the Lupine, but it comes with both low-beam and high-beam modes selectable with a handlebar switch. Beats holding your hand in front of the light or tilting the light down to avoid blinding pedestrians and other cyclists. It also looks to be future-proof since it autodetects voltage and so can work both with 6V (our current Brose motor) and 12V (the new Brose Mag motor).

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I decided to keep my Exposure Sixpack, mainly because my LevoHT has a 1.2 motor which has lower current than 1.3 via light output. And Sixpack has a LOT of light. :alien:
Recommendations of good 6V rearlights? That’s something i need; always on, when bike is on.

bigborett

Jul 17, 2018
Australia
Would really like to see pics of some of these lights in action.
I hear lots of how good my lights are. But sorry didn't happen without the pics and we can't trust the ones on the manufactures sites.
So come on guys, down the driveway and take a pic.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Would really like to see pics of some of these lights in action.
I hear lots of how good my lights are. But sorry didn't happen without the pics and we can't trust the ones on the manufactures sites.
So come on guys, down the driveway and take a pic.
It's currently 10am Andrew . . . send me a text later on to remind me and I'll see what I can do :)

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Information for people who have 1.2 motor:
lupine brose.JPG

I asked from Lupine does SL work with 1A current:

Capture.JPG

So, i stick my old Exposure Sixpack then, i have 2018 Levo HT, it has 1.2 motor. :rolleyes:

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
It's currently 10am Andrew . . . send me a text later on to remind me and I'll see what I can do :)
Hey Tori, you are inspiring a lot of us. I watched your videos sniff got quite pumped to go and buy an ebike. Then I wound up choosing the same Levo. Then watched your video installing a lupine. Awesome!! Got one from Germany too. Shipped it to Canada and then here as they don’t ship here. Now I’d like to request you for the list of installation toolset we need to do this. Thanks again and keep up the awesome videos.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Hey Tori, you are inspiring a lot of us. I watched your videos sniff got quite pumped to go and buy an ebike. Then I wound up choosing the same Levo. Then watched your video installing a lupine. Awesome!! Got one from Germany too. Shipped it to Canada and then here as they don’t ship here. Now I’d like to request you for the list of installation toolset we need to do this. Thanks again and keep up the awesome videos.
Hey VaseLEVO,

Thanks heaps for your kind words - I'm glad that I'm an inspiration *blush* I just muck about and have fun and make some videos of my adventure. It's been fun doing these little installation videos . . . and passing on a bit of know-how to interested folks.

Per the tools necessary, I go over them in the video, just listen carefully as I talk about the allen key sizes and torx sizes necessary to do the job. If it's still unclear let me know.

I hope to get out some more videos soon, I have been so busy with a recent project I've been unable to get much out for the past month. I also had a painful crash and stuffed up my shoulder, which has taken a little while to recover.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Hey VaseLEVO,

Thanks heaps for your kind words - I'm glad that I'm an inspiration *blush* I just muck about and have fun and make some videos of my adventure. It's been fun doing these little installation videos . . . and passing on a bit of know-how to interested folks.

Per the tools necessary, I go over them in the video, just listen carefully as I talk about the allen key sizes and torx sizes necessary to do the job. If it's still unclear let me know.

I hope to get out some more videos soon, I have been so busy with a recent project I've been unable to get much out for the past month. I also had a painful crash and stuffed up my shoulder, which has taken a little while to recover.
Ouch sorry to hear that. Shoulder can hurt bad. Feel better soon. I will watch video again and order the tools.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles