• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Looking for pro's + con's of converting 2019 Trek Powerfly 9.7 to mullet 29FW/27.5RW

emtbcarnivore

Apr 8, 2021
Allentown, PA
Context: New here. Not a newbie to emtb. Put 1200 miles on this bike since March 2019. Almost a decade riding experience on 4 different traditional mtb's before switching to emtb (would never go back fyi).

Thinking of converting this bike to a mullet. I know there could be possible issues with the way it would affect the rest of the geometry. Not concerned about the warranty as I think I'm outside of a lot of the terms by now, anyway.
The bike is 160mm front/150mm rear. Thinking of switching to 29" front wheel and getting a 160mm emtb specific fork. Similar front wheel build w/ 40mm+ inner rim width and 2.6" eddy current tire (my preferred front & rear combo).
I don't think the bike was designed w/ long/low/slack geo which the mullet concept seems to be adjacent to but can anyone identify any other performance upsides vs downsides?

My thoughts are that replacing the original 27.5" Yari RL with a 29" emtb specific Zeb (shorter offset than Yari RL) probably improves overall steering response. Bike has a longer rear end so it makes me think climbing would be even better (or about equal) esp w/ shorter steerer length. Better or equal descending w/ a higher front ride height. Slightly higher bottom bracket.

Are there are real negatives other than possible stress loads to the frame from the change of geo?

Ty for anyone's input!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles