Longer travel?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
So I have a M20. I am a heavy guy ar 250 lbs i ride intermediate level trails some black diamond. As soon as I bought my bike I installed. Fox factory 36 in 160mm and a fox coil in the rear. Now a year latter I am thinking I might try the 215 x 63 coil in the back with the two offset bushings
With the offset bushings should the geometry remain like it currently is if I keep the sag at 20 %? Or since the travek is more keeping sag the same will reslut in slightly lower rear? Is the 160 in the front ok with the longer rear travel?? And if anyone has a fox dhx2 8.2 X 2.5 they want to sell or a set of the offset bushings pm me please

Last edited:

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
well, I decided I am going to try it either way. I ordered the offset bushings, a fox SLS spring for my weight and longer for the 8.5 shock but I am trying a Marzocchi Bomber CR shock. I went this way as I am currently running the fox dhx which does not come in a 8.5, the bomber looks similar, and fox tells me it is the same shaft diameter. It is less than half the price of a dhx2 and less weight. Honestly I never end up using correctly all the clickers on the dhx2. the Bomber will give me compression and rebound which is all I really want. Anyone here already try the Bomber?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I know a guy that recently long shocked his rise, 160 fork as well. You're not supposed to install both offset bushings as far as I know, only one. If you install 2, you decrease eye to eye by 4mm instead of 2mm which is about 6-7 mm of rear travel loss. He went with an older RS air shock to save money and doesn't seem to think it feels that much better. Personally I'd go for coil after all it's an ebike. No reason a Bomber CR wouldn't work except the frame clearance is really tight. Since there are a few videos and reports out that the DHX2 fits, I'd go for that and maybe get a Cane Creek Valt linear spring or progressive version which are lighter weight. Bomber CR has a longer piggy back but that might not matter, you just have to try it and see, all boils down to what fits and what doesn't. I ran a Bomber CR on a LSL for a few months, it blew up, but on LSL is known issue. Also ran Cane Creek spring on it. It feels good but is a budget shock, you get what you pay for is what I'm saying. Now I run Ohlins coil on LSL with same Cane Creek spring and has held up for a lot longer with no issues, just unsure if it would fit a Rise or not.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I know a guy that recently long shocked his rise, 160 fork as well. You're not supposed to install both offset bushings as far as I know, only one. If you install 2, you decrease eye to eye by 4mm instead of 2mm which is about 6-7 mm of rear travel loss. He went with an older RS air shock to save money and doesn't seem to think it feels that much better. Personally I'd go for coil after all it's an ebike. No reason a Bomber CR wouldn't work except the frame clearance is really tight. Since there are a few videos and reports out that the DHX2 fits, I'd go for that and maybe get a Cane Creek Valt linear spring or progressive version which are lighter weight. Bomber CR has a longer piggy back but that might not matter, you just have to try it and see, all boils down to what fits and what doesn't. I ran a Bomber CR on a LSL for a few months, it blew up, but on LSL is known issue. Also ran Cane Creek spring on it. It feels good but is a budget shock, you get what you pay for is what I'm saying. Now I run Ohlins coil on LSL with same Cane Creek spring and has held up for a lot longer with no issues, just unsure if it would fit a Rise or not.
The stock shock is 210mm eye to eye. The new shock is 8.5 inches eye to eye which is 215mm. So I need to use both bushings to keep the same eye to eye and only increase the stroke of the shock. Am I missing something?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
According to what I've read it's 216 x63, so even with both offset bushings you'd be at 212 not 210. Supposed to use offset bushing in rear eyelet only and only to help with a frame gap that is too close without. It's all mods so no rules per se but this is what I followed, Welcome - shredlines.net

Seems like offsetbushings only sells in sets of 2 but you only need one of them

DeeP

Mar 24, 2022
USA
I have 8.5 x 2.5 DHX2 with set of offset bushings and 170mm Fox 38. It is a nice set up. The bottom bracket still sits higher than stock and head angle slacker than stock. I can’t speak for 160mm fork but I would be willing to bet with longer shock and offset bushings you would be close to stock head angle, just with longer travel, higher bottom bracket, and taller stand over.

However, I much prefer using the stock bushings with a 27.5 rear wheel. Mulleted my head angle is 64 degrees and bike is snappy as hell. I love the set up. I also have a M Team with stock set up and the longer travel, slacker bike does not suffer much if at all climbing or with tight corners. I have zero issues having the front end wash out. I love both set ups and am very happy to have both.

I am 230lbs running 550lb SLS spring and sag is perfect. This is spring suggested on the TFTuned calculator. Bike handles everything I throw at it. Have it running at full EP8 85nm / 500 watts too. (the long travel alloy bike). Couldn’t be happier.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I have 8.5 x 2.5 DHX2 with set of offset bushings and 170mm Fox 38. It is a nice set up. The bottom bracket still sits higher than stock and head angle slacker than stock. I can’t speak for 160mm fork but I would be willing to bet with longer shock and offset bushings you would be close to stock head angle, just with longer travel, higher bottom bracket, and taller stand over.

However, I much prefer using the stock bushings with a 27.5 rear wheel. Mulleted my head angle is 64 degrees and bike is snappy as hell. I love the set up. I also have a M Team with stock set up and the longer travel, slacker bike does not suffer much if at all climbing or with tight corners. I have zero issues having the front end wash out. I love both set ups and am very happy to have both.

I am 230lbs running 550lb SLS spring and sag is perfect. This is spring suggested on the TFTuned calculator. Bike handles everything I throw at it. Have it running at full EP8 85nm / 500 watts too. (the long travel alloy bike). Couldn’t be happier.
thank you, either way I will run it as I stated, with both bushings and see how it does. It seems that it should do good as most that are running mulleted are sunning a larger rear tire anyway and so the rolling diameter is close to my stock 29er anyway. I will hold on to my current shock for a month or so to make sure I like it before I sell the dhx..

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA

So are you running the 8.5 x 2.5 without offset bushings at all? If so, how is the frame doing at the link to chainstay, no issues? From what others have said, this is the only reason to even use an offset bushing and I wondered from the beginning if it was even necessary. I'm curious because have been helping a friend who's not the researching type.

DeeP

Mar 24, 2022
USA
So are you running the 8.5 x 2.5 without offset bushings at all? If so, how is the frame doing at the link to chainstay, no issues? From what others have said, this is the only reason to even use an offset bushing and I wondered from the beginning if it was even necessary. I'm curious because have been helping a friend who's not the researching type.
If running larger shock and 29 front and back no issues whatsoever running both offset bushings. With 27.5 rear wheel no issues whatsoever running stock bushings. Larger shock and 29 front and back with stock bushings bike sits very tall. I am running 29 x2.4 and 27.5 x 2.4 tires btw. I like 2.4 front and rear tires on the Rise.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I tried a 216X63 Rockshox Monach with one offset bushing in linkage end, it was required because parts of linkage would rub unless bike under compression. I ran it as a mullet with 27.5 wheel & 2.6 NN in rear. Was ok but Monach is a crap shock so have a TTX coil in 210X55 & 160mm fork upfront which I have been running since had the bike

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I'm 330 Running a DHX2 w/ 750lb EXT Spring & one offset bushing....I ran a 700lb SLS spring for a while but like the suppleness of the 750 w/ only 1 click of LSC. I run a Trust Shout 178mm linkage fork up front.....Also have a 22' Fox 38 G2, and a 23' Zeb and the Trust is just better through Rocky terrain. 2 Bushings left too nose high, no bushings felt too high. I am running a full 29" setup On a side note, the EXT c65 750lb Coil is lighter and shorter in length than the 700lb SLS Spring.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA

I essentially have the same setup on my M-10. 170mm Fox Factory up front and 160mm Fox DHX2 in rear (8.5 x 2.5) with 2 offset bushings. 29 wheels both front and rear. I really like it and it rides great. Agree that there are no losses in climbing or tight switchback turns or steering control. It does feel slightly different than stock but for the better or worse I cannot say. It is just a little different. No loss in control or handling in anyway so I cannot pin this as a negative. No noticeable improvement either. I am a very aggressive rider so extra travel is amazing. Love the DHX2. Rider weight is about 200 lbs and currently using a 450 pound SLS. Gives me a lot of sag but no bottom out issues yet. I’m going to try a 500 pound spring soon for comparison. Absolutely love this bike now! Not running any spacers in the front fork and so far no bottom issues on landing jumps. With 150mm travel up front I would bottom out in bigger landings even with spacers. I feel like animal on this bike. Can bomb down any black trails with ease.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles