Rise rear travel

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Is there room in the frame movement to install the same eye to eye but bump the shock stroke up a bit?

Keeping it at 29/29

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Is there room in the frame movement to install the same eye to eye but bump the shock stroke up a bit?

Keeping it at 29/29
yes. The only way to accomplish this is to buy a custom, marzocchi bomber cr / fox vanilla that is 210 with a custom 57 - 60mm stroke. The other way to accomplish this is to use a 8.5x2.5 shock, and use 2 (2mm) offset bushings in order to shrink it down to 212x63. this will raise your bottom bracket by about 5mm and steepen the hta slightly. i have seen this done on L and XL - M models and L and M hydro models with a dhx2 and dvo jade.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
yes. The only way to accomplish this is to buy a custom, marzocchi bomber cr / fox vanilla that is 210 with a custom 57 - 60mm stroke. The other way to accomplish this is to use a 8.5x2.5 shock, and use 2 (2mm) offset bushings in order to shrink it down to 212x63. this will raise your bottom bracket by about 5mm and steepen the hta slightly. i have seen this done on L and XL - M models and L and M hydro models with a dhx2 and dvo jade.
Would 61 be too much?

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 16.24.13.png

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I do not know for sure... on my XL it would clear but i would be concerned about frame flex. That being said, all DNM products are absolute trash. I am 1000% certain that the stock shock, in stock travel will perform better then anything from DNM.

to that end, you are far better off with a stock travel shock, but with a tune or modifications. Whether it's DPS or float X. The DPX2 is a bit of a different animal due to how it's made... but even that can be improved.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
@iJak In your photo of your shock/frame you are not compressing the bump stop. Your shock will compress a minimum of 7mm further then what you are showing on a hard bottom out... likely more like 10-13mm. Keep in mind, this is shock travel numbers so you multiply by roughly 2 - 2.5 in order to determine how much additional wheel travel. In this case, i'd expect 14-20mm of additional wheel travel. If you are a shredder and you are running 30-33% sag, I would guess that you will contact your tire into your seat tube.

the only way to accurately check this with a coil on your frame... is to pull the bump stop, which requires removing the lower eyelet. This is actually possible on the dhx2 without re-building the shock... which is rare. The other way to measure it is to set up a video camera, and bounce on the seat with the spring removed. I'd be careful with this as too much and you're going to crash the tire into the seat tube. The other way is to do some measuring and math and figure out what the resulting eye to eye length is when the tire contacts the frame, and measure that against the expected eye to eye at bottom out with the bump stop in play.

Keep in mind that the rise has an incredibly flexy rear end in both M and H models. I would want a minimum of 10mm of clearance to the seat tube at full bottom... if not more. Fwiw, I have ruined frames doing this in the past and messing this up (giant trance frames). it does happen and I have anecdotal experience that the frame will flex more then you think... that was an expensive lesson in long shocking frames. Fortunately, it just hurt my wallet and my pride and not my body.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
All points noted, I’ll stick to big brands and standard travel, the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil is available in 210x55

another question. Is it possible to modify a shock with bearing mounts to use standard bushings? Feeling is a no

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
@iJak In your photo of your shock/frame you are not compressing the bump stop. Your shock will compress a minimum of 7mm further then what you are showing on a hard bottom out... likely more like 10-13mm. Keep in mind, this is shock travel numbers so you multiply by roughly 2 - 2.5 in order to determine how much additional wheel travel. In this case, i'd expect 14-20mm of additional wheel travel. If you are a shredder and you are running 30-33% sag, I would guess that you will contact your tire into your seat tube.

the only way to accurately check this with a coil on your frame... is to pull the bump stop, which requires removing the lower eyelet. This is actually possible on the dhx2 without re-building the shock... which is rare. The other way to measure it is to set up a video camera, and bounce on the seat with the spring removed. I'd be careful with this as too much and you're going to crash the tire into the seat tube. The other way is to do some measuring and math and figure out what the resulting eye to eye length is when the tire contacts the frame, and measure that against the expected eye to eye at bottom out with the bump stop in play.

Keep in mind that the rise has an incredibly flexy rear end in both M and H models. I would want a minimum of 10mm of clearance to the seat tube at full bottom... if not more. Fwiw, I have ruined frames doing this in the past and messing this up (giant trance frames). it does happen and I have anecdotal experience that the frame will flex more then you think... that was an expensive lesson in long shocking frames. Fortunately, it just hurt my wallet and my pride and not my body.
I knew someone would call that out - it's fully compressed and I made sure by sitting on the bike and bouncing - there was no more give. The bump stock without the spring holder actually shifted over the bottom eyelet as there's a gap inside the bumper that doesn't fully wrap around the shaft.

1674670888797.png

The spring holder when installed obviously keeps it in place as there's a lip that prevents the bumper from spreading out at the base hence the gap, so it can expand when squished.

I'll keep an eye out, but so far no rubs from 400km of riding.
Related to yoke flex eating shocks, I am not seeing any shaft wear which is surprising, but Rise yoke length is well within Fox's allowable tolerance.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
All points noted, I’ll stick to big brands and standard travel, the Rockshox deluxe ultimate coil is available in 210x55

another question. Is it possible to modify a shock with bearing mounts to use standard bushings? Feeling is a no
These type = no
1674671652874.png
1674671698539.png

this type = yes as it's a bearing insert that sits into the usual lower eyelet
1674671770898.png

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
So, current thoughts are to go with a 216x63 with offset bushings. If I stick with a 29 on the rear I understand this will rase the BB by about 10mm. Is that an issue?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles