Lockdown rules!!!!!!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Apparently you are now allowed to travel to somewhere for exercise as long as the exercise is longer than the travel. A bike is both so fill your boots.
Be careful with that, apparently the leaked document is for the CPS, not the police. It also specifically states "walking", not "exercise".

I've got a mate who's a copper and they've been told to use their discretion and assess each case individually. as far as he is concerned, driving for an hour (for example) to exercise for several is well outside the spirit of the restrictions and as such you might be lucky and be told to go home or you might get a ticket too.

Mimo

Dec 27, 2019
Hillingdon
Be careful with that, apparently the leaked document is for the CPS, not the police. It also specifically states "walking", not "exercise".

I've got a mate who's a copper and they've been told to use their discretion and assess each case individually. as far as he is concerned, driving for an hour (for example) to exercise for several is well outside the spirit of the restrictions and as such you might be lucky and be told to go home or you might get a ticket too.
Fair enough, Doomanic. I usually tend to go out for around an hour or so but have extended it only a couple of times. I'll make sure to stay within the hour in the future.
Or maybe use my common sense and social responsibility to go out with my cube as much as I like

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Oh, no, the hour is bullshit spouted by Gove when confronted by a reporter. There's no time limit in the restrictions.

FWIW, I'm out for 2-2.5 hours every time, riding from home.

They back peddled on the 1 hour straight away.

Anyway, if they do stop anyone, how do they know how long they've been out?

I ride between 1-2 hours from my house most days, it's a reasonable time to me.

I also can't remember the last time a saw any police where I live.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
We have similar rules here too. I take the Rocky out for 2+ hours most fine days. All street riding and loads of hills so still plenty of entertainment to be had, and there's a good number of steep (read near-vertical) banks to ride down around here. The police are about and I see them almost every time I'm out, but they're primarily interested in vehicles that shouldn't be used. I see folks keeping good distance from each other but still having a roadside catch up whilst out walking. It's really about stopping community transmission. Use your head, don't drink from fountains or sit on-touch benches etc. Our 2-way trails are too confined so if you meet someone there's no way to keep a safe distance. I know some riders are still using them though, as I see quite a few coming back covered in dirt and mud. My bike has never stayed so shiny for so long :D

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
The guys on the road bikes are out for hours every day. I'm on Strava and I see the rides last from 30 to 70 odd miles every day. Is like the tour de France out there :ROFLMAO:
BTW I'm not having a go at them as I ride a road bike too. ;)

So going out on your MB for few hours doesn't sound too bad as long as you keep safe distance.
I'm on my local trails most of the days after a short 10 minute drive from work in the evenings and everyone keeps a nice safe distance at all times.
Is great :)

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Apart from people get sick and businesses going bust this new way of life suits me fine , the mrs ain’t going out spending , driving for work is a pleasure , now we can ride/exercise for longer just not with mates . They only goad me into bigger jumps anyway ?
Edit ; missing the family !

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hell yeah. We're on split shifts so I'm home by five past one and out on the bike by half past. I'm also missing my family; both the real one and the biking family.

tomas

Apr 22, 2020
London
Keep in mind that the rules are different in Wales compared ot England for example. Not sure how about Scotland. Point being, there is no restriction on the time nor the number of times you go out for exercise in England. As far as I am concerned, it's about using common sense within the confines of the rules. So, I go out for a run in the morning, then go to work for a bit in my car, take kids out on the bike when I get back and sometimes go for a short walk on top of it. All perfectly legal. I make sure to avoid busy spots and keep my distance. I sometimes see people all puzzled over the rules whispering to me (whilst keeping a distance ;)) that they are somehow breaking the rules by being out for more than an hour. It's a real disgrace how this is handled by the government here! I am convinced that they are deliberately misinforming the public about the restrictions and then Police is having a field day enforcing all sorts of nonsensical rules which don't even exist. Anyway, enjoying the extra time with the family and being out exercising, so it is not all bad. Take care out there.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
news this morning was featuring Strava posts boasting 70+ miles etc so the B*****D media hype it up and drag out some nay sayers who want to screw it for the rest of us....
Just keep your ride info to yourself after all it is only you that cares if you did 20,40,70 miles in 13.67 seconds .. With roads @ 1950 traffic levels I might even venture out on to the roads.....

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Just as the early season trails weee set to open from snow melt , they closed the trail system. I hope rhats not a theme. Making plans to fo some rogue trailbuilding. Could be for the best

tapatalk_1587404744473.jpeg

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
Yesterday I drove 9 miles to an empty car park. Got the bike out, rode 30 miles for about 4 hours or so around the Pennines on a ride I'd planned on Komoot. Saw about 3 hill walkers. Drove back home. I don't see any problem whatsoever with that.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
My personal view is spending time alone, or with household members, on your bike for however long over whatever distance is OK (i.e. no harm done) provided you obey distancing rules (avoiding crowded areas etc.) Michael Gove quoted some arbitrary figures off the top of his head when asked but also qualified time limits saying is was "depending on your level of fitness". For me personally I've stopped riding any extreme features to minimise my chance of injury and put any further stress on the NHS and I wouldn't use the car as eventually that would mean having to visit a petrol station and potentially come into contact with more people than necessary. Government guidelines do say you should be "minimising time spent outside' but that is also open to interpretation (e.g. ride faster to minimise?). I also do some road riding and I have never seen roads as quiet and for the most part this makes them safer. Some trails, on the other hand, I've never seen so busy with walkers/families etc. Use common sense - the real issue is to spend as little time/space as possible with anyone outside your household to reduce chance of Covid transmission between households and also avoid having any accidents requiring trips to A&E. Stay Safe everyone.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I got questioned by the Police today. I'd just ridden an 800ft cat 4 climb at maximum attack and was taking a little breather before hitting the trails and a copper and a PCSO in a Nissan Leaf :ROFLMAO: pulled into the layby. Initially they thought I was on a motorbike and wanted to know if my journey was really necessary. Once they realised it was a bicycle they were fine and we had a bit of a chat. At 8 miles from my house, they considered that unnecessarily far for a drive for exercise.
Hopefully they'll be nicking all the twats in cabriolets who were out today.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Oh stop the whining...:rolleyes: Up until a week ago we could not even go outside let alone go for a ride. Now we can ride all we want as long as it is within 500 meter radius of our home and with our mask on! :unsure: 25 laps later, I feel like a NASCAR driver...pedal hard and turn left.:p

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I just checked out my local trails to see how they are doing , been a while since I was last there. It was busy, nobody distancing, people testing out other people’s bikes. All sorts.

Trails look great though, can’t wait for the bike to arrive.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Oh, no, the hour is bullshit spouted by Gove when confronted by a reporter. There's no time limit in the restrictions.

You're all very lucky in the UK.

We're (in France) limited to 1 hour and 1km radius from your house. Probably makes sense in a town or a city - where within those criteria you still might bump into literally thousands of people. Seems a bit bonkers when you live in the middle of nowhere and can go out and won't see anyone. Unfortunately, they can't apply "use your common sense" - because 90% of the earths population doesn't seem to have any.

You're also lucky in that we also have to fill a form out every time you leave the house. Stating what time you leave and where you live.

If you think about it, it's a bit dumb ! They don't trust you to go out and be sensible. But they trust you to fill a form in -with the correct time on. And they trust you not to go out for 10 hours with 10 different forms stuffed in 10 different pockets with 10 different departure times on.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles