Lightcarbon LCES004 (Dengfu E10 alternative in USA)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
We all need to email Lightcarbon and get them to do a cover 🙂
Good idea! But my experience with Chinese companies, even Light carbon, is that innovation is possible if you're a business like a bike shop, otherwise you're lucky they sold you one as a small timer, single-bike frame purchaser.😋 Probably, just not big enough leverage. (Rob testing ride would help😁) But, I would join in with the group request to fabricate a proper battery cover. Your's looks great!💪

Dave Rand

Jan 25, 2022
Kent Uk
Problem is that one issue puts loads of people off the frame. Lightcarbon can easily make them and sell them either with the frame and increase it’s cost (I’ve no problem with that) or a separate accessory 🙏
Doesn’t help the Bafang battery isn’t readily available 🤦🏻‍♂️

Good idea! But my experience with Chinese companies, even Light carbon, is that innovation is possible if you're a business like a bike shop, otherwise you're lucky they sold you one as a small timer, single-bike frame purchaser.😋 Probably, just not big enough leverage. (Rob testing ride would help😁) But, I would join in with the group request to fabricate a proper battery cover. Your's looks great!💪

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Problem is that one issue puts loads of people off the frame. Lightcarbon can easily make them and sell them either with the frame and increase it’s cost (I’ve no problem with that) or a separate accessory 🙏
Doesn’t help the Bafang battery isn’t readily available 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yep...LC is more of a copy-cat open mold company, they seem not to be able make changes quickly and take outside consumer feedback. On the other hand, Dengfu does! But look at the Luna Cycles influence in the US and RobRides European influence for the E10. I have their fs fat bike E06 with the big M620. Dengfu appears to be taking input from outside influencers better than most Chinese companies. But I like the LC trunnion suspension linkage. Trek Rail clone call it👍 Local Trek dealers luv me😉

PXL_20220207_234441111.MP.jpg

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
We all need to email Lightcarbon and get them to do a cover 🙂

I have been trying to get DengFu to make a deeper cover plate for the E10/E22 frames, as they are the same config, in order to allow for 21700 cell soft pack batteries with big/smart BMS that can be sourced from Shenzhen up to 1300wh's without any luck. For sure it would be simplest for them to do so as they have the correct alu piece for the slider/keeper and know how to do it. So I say good luck.....

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland
Very nice pictures.
I’ve just started my build 🥳
Hopefully get the battery cover finished this weekend just the brackets to make and Tig on. Also starting on the battery build tomorrow 🙂

“Lovely frame” let down by having to make a battery cover it would be soooo easy for Lightcarbon to manufacturer one for us battery builders

View attachment 86032

View attachment 86033

View attachment 86034

View attachment 86035

View attachment 86036

Well done with the battery cover. 👍🏻

I ended up buying a separate cover from a btf03 battery. I’m using that instead.

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland
💯 I have another smaller LCES004 in my build stand for a buddy ride and motor/parts backup. Looks a lot like the Trek Rail...I luv it...rides like my analog Enduro rig.

I use the four batteries: 2 smaller 450 Wh, and 2 bigger 600 Wh for M600. I typically use the 450s and backpack one on local rides with popular trails to keep the battery tube stealthy. I use the building 600s at night or when on remote adventure trips where none will see it😁

The meager battery capacity is the biggest down side...poor engineering by Bafang.🤯 For you battery builders, I would be interested in using the 21700 cell packs and ditch the Bafang (sell them) 600s😝.

So, thank you for leading the way on to upgrade to this major flaw👍 Other the frame rocks and motor is robust🤟

View attachment 86039

View attachment 86040

The Bafang battery lets down a little.
I had the 600w 43v Bafang onepaired with m500 and compared tot the 600w 48v Dengfu battery paired with m600 the Bafang one lacked range a lot

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The Bafang battery lets down a little.
I had the 600w 43v Bafang onepaired with m500 and compared tot the 600w 48v Dengfu battery paired with m600 the Bafang one lacked range a lot
💯 Bafang batteries look nice but they lack, both 450/600 Wh. The 21700 cell soft pack is the way to go to up in a modern 759-950 Wh capacity.

Bravo to DIY battery-pack builders... shockingly gett'ner done!⚡

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
💯 I have another smaller LCES004 in my build stand for a buddy ride and motor/parts backup. Looks a lot like the Trek Rail...I luv it...rides like my analog Enduro rig.

I use the four batteries: 2 smaller 450 Wh, and 2 bigger 600 Wh for M600. I typically use the 450s and backpack one on local rides with popular trails to keep the battery tube stealthy. I use the building 600s at night or when on remote adventure trips where none will see it😁

The meager battery capacity is the biggest down side...poor engineering by Bafang.🤯 For you battery builders, I would be interested in using the 21700 cell packs and ditch the Bafang (sell them) 600s😝.

So, thank you for leading the way on to upgrade to this major flaw👍 Other the frame rocks and motor is robust🤟

View attachment 86039

View attachment 86040
Wow what a unique bike! What are those handlebars please??

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjN-SBhCkARIsACsrBz5HY3ikPkuhHUUsRCZmJTOpnmdShjskgGc8-E57bOLPQP5OYHXfe2oaAnHFEALw_wcB

Spank spoon 800 35 mm 60 deg rise.

ArtInvent

Apr 13, 2022
CommercE42
I happen to be metal sculptor so bending a bit of aluminum something I do constantly. I used 1.5mm (1/16") thick. The bigger issue was screwing it to the frame, had to epoxy 4 screw mounts top and bottom to frame. I also had no use for the giant hole in the side of the frame so I ended up Bondo-ing that up. But yes certainly would be far better if the manufacturer had a cover plate option.

Actually building a battery pack from loose cells, that is a bit beyond me, and also not really necessary because you can buy the shark pack or high long package batteries. I really looked for one with 2170 cells specifically because those just fit much better more efficiently packaged into this particular frame than 1865s.

So the cells fit well but the real problem was the positioning of the BMS board. Once you commit to moving it and resoldering extra length wires on, well you can put it anywhere you want.

Battery capacity may not be a problem for everyone, I've ridden a long ways on a 640Wh pack. I just think it depends on your riding style and your trails. Having two 640Wh packs that you can swap in and out is I think a great solution if you're willing to carry one in your backpack. It's also great cause you can keep one fully charged at all times. However at the time the biggest swappable packs I saw for this frame we're only something like 530 kWh. I could not see taking a step back like that.

OTOH this is 2022 and I don't think it's too much to ask for for a 1 kWh battery pack in an eMTB. 2x 1kWh swappable would be even better, or a 1 kWh in the bike and a spare lighter one as backup.

Unfortunately with my slick metal cover setup, a battery swap is no longer a quick simple pop in affair. Now that I know that a 1 kwh pack will fit (ok it's 960 Wh) I guess the next level would be to build two and make a custom release and pop in and out connection system. That would be sweet but not real high on my list right now!

ArtInvent

Apr 13, 2022
CommercE42
These are photos of the 960 kWh pack, with the BMS board being moved to the side where the ends of the cylindrical cells are. Note some wire splices to lengthen. I re-shrink wrapped the whole thing and I believe when inserted into the frame,the side with the BMS board is up against the top wall of the frame. There is space up there although you have to contend with the wiring passing through as well as the water bottle mount nuts which I filed down a bit and taped over. Again this is the pack with 2170 cells. I also ended up filing down the opening in the frame along the left and right edge rim maybe 1 or 2mm. Pack slides in and out nicely and it's not wedged in tight or anything. There is a little rubber padding around it and it doesn't rattle around or anything like that. Really a perfect fit.

I can't remember if that second photo is the actual orientation or if it was swapped 180°. I might also have made an xt60 extension cord with those yellow connectors I think that's what they're called. It's been 6 months and I just can't remember all the details.

20211031_142541.jpg

20211023_121720.jpg

ArtInvent

Apr 13, 2022
CommercE42
I'm using the bigger color display Luna's 860c for Bafang M600. I like the center mount HUD. Color works well in direct AZ sunshine. Pros: just mentioned, Cons: could be half the size, the power/selector large and cheaply made, big wire connector flanges show...trying to keep the E-mtb as stealth as possible🥷

Yeah the 860c display is awfully large, a friend of mine has one. Do you have a thumb throttle? if so how does the throttle cable hook up? On my little dpc241 display it actually plugs into the back of the display so there are two plugs.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Yeah the 860c display is awfully large, a friend of mine has one. Do you have a thumb throttle? if so how does the throttle cable hook up? On my little dpc241 display it actually plugs into the back of the display so there are two plugs.
I disconnected the throttle (so it comes with m600 kit) to keep it legal for trail riding in my area...plus never used one.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
These are photos of the 960 kWh pack, with the BMS board being moved to the side where the ends of the cylindrical cells are. Note some wire splices to lengthen. I re-shrink wrapped the whole thing and I believe when inserted into the frame,the side with the BMS board is up against the top wall of the frame. There is space up there although you have to contend with the wiring passing through as well as the water bottle mount nuts which I filed down a bit and taped over. Again this is the pack with 2170 cells. I also ended up filing down the opening in the frame along the left and right edge rim maybe 1 or 2mm. Pack slides in and out nicely and it's not wedged in tight or anything. There is a little rubber padding around it and it doesn't rattle around or anything like that. Really a perfect fit.

I can't remember if that second photo is the actual orientation or if it was swapped 180°. I might also have made an xt60 extension cord with those yellow connectors I think that's what they're called. It's been 6 months and I just can't remember all the details.

View attachment 86083

View attachment 86084
Looking good👍

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
somebody know where we can purchase BTF03 battery cover ?
I might try your motor kit seller first, then maybe Greenbike or CNE bikes. CNE is the worst option...horrible support but will help with extra charges and profoundly long wait times.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I might try your motor kit seller first, then maybe Greenbike or CNE bikes. CNE is the worst option...horrible support but will help with extra charges and profoundly long wait times.

Nobody of them can (would ?) provide that. No more than the frame builder lightcarbon. I'm falling in love to the cover build by KaroKönig :love:, but it haven't time to build another :cry: (polite way of saying it would cost too much :LOL:)

Dave Rand

Jan 25, 2022
Kent Uk
Nobody of them can (would ?) provide that. No more than the frame builder lightcarbon. I'm falling in love to the cover build by KaroKönig :love:, but it haven't time to build another :cry: (polite way of saying it would cost too much :LOL:)

Yeah when I spoke to Lightcarbon Thursday she got tied up with her own arguments! Was hilarious 😂 such a short sighted company!
you can lead a horse to water Etc!!!
I suspect from the drivel she was saying it’s just laziness on her part. I asked to speed to the design department but I doubt anything will come of it!

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Yeah when I spoke to Lightcarbon Thursday she got tied up with her own arguments! Was hilarious 😂 such a short sighted company!
I suspect from the drivel she was saying it’s just laziness on her part. I asked to speed to the design department but I doubt anything will come of it!

i'm fully conditioned by Long time experiency with china, too many time lose, i don't try to negociate with their when they said "no" or they havn't answered. I know i need to find another solution (DIY). May be if i want to order thouthand items they will eared me, but for one no way. in fact i find we are lucky to have possibility to purchase dirctely to factory e-bike frame at unit, it's possible since few time.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
i'm fully conditioned by Long time experiency with china, too many time lose, i don't try to negociate with their when they said "no" or they havn't answered. I know i need to find another solution (DIY). May be if i want to order thouthand items they will eared me, but for one no way. in fact i find we are lucky to have possibility to purchase dirctely to factory e-bike frame at unit, it's possible since few time.
Makes sense. Light carbon didn't want to sell to the individual 2 yrs ago or so, then I tried again a year ago. Their salesforce often don't ride mtbs, as such, are often clueless. After a few peeps beta-test it for them they "learn", it has to be the managers convincing the engineers to make modifications. The organizational structure is slow, scared, and relatively dumb as a company. So, unless it's Trek or Specialized making the request, it's SOL.

But your mods are a great idea, and you can source the 21700 cells independently and competently build your own packs... FREEDOM and POWER! Once you set it up for 900Wh and above, that's better than the Trek Rail (a sweet ride) capacity at 750 Wh. Plus, the 21700s save weight comparatively. I'd go your route 100% in the next year or two when my BT-F03/04 start to fade.💪 Then I'm gonna rely on your collective knowledge/experience to build my own without catching my house on fire😉

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Just registered a new account to answer your question,

First of all, thank you for your purchase of lightcarbon products,
I talk with Coral about your DIY battery's cover,Maybe you have made two small pieces of metal to fix your aluminum cover.
In Eric's share, you can see that he first fixed two metal sheets at both ends of the battery slot to fix the outer cover,.
By the way, Eric updated more details of DIY batteries in his Google photos. excellent!

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Just registered a new account to answer your question,

First of all, thank you for your purchase of lightcarbon products,
I talk with Coral about your DIY battery's cover,Maybe you have made two small pieces of metal to fix your aluminum cover.
In Eric's share, you can see that he first fixed two metal sheets at both ends of the battery slot to fix the outer cover,.
By the way, Eric updated more details of DIY batteries in his Google photos. excellent!
As for the battery cover, our individual buyers had a relatively small number of DIY batteries, and we rarely met the customer's request to provide only the battery cover, while the octagonal battery had its own cover, so we didn't take this into account. This is our mistake. I'm sorry for that,

In fact, it's not very difficult for us to make a cover alone. However, after making it, it takes us a long time to meet a personal buyer who needs a battery cover, so we haven't made up our mind to do it。
After all, there are few buyers with strong hands-on ability like those in this forum.

If the quantity is small, the cost will be high,

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Makes sense. Light carbon didn't want to sell to the individual 2 yrs ago or so, then I tried again a year ago. Their salesforce often don't ride mtbs, as such, are often clueless. After a few peeps beta-test it for them they "learn", it has to be the managers convincing the engineers to make modifications. The organizational structure is slow, scared, and relatively dumb as a company. So, unless it's Trek or Specialized making the request, it's SOL.

But your mods are a great idea, and you can source the 21700 cells independently and competently build your own packs... FREEDOM and POWER! Once you set it up for 900Wh and above, that's better than the Trek Rail (a sweet ride) capacity at 750 Wh. Plus, the 21700s save weight comparatively. I'd go your route 100% in the next year or two when my BT-F03/04 start to fade.💪 Then I'm gonna rely on your collective knowledge/experience to build my own without catching my house on fire😉
My friend, I'm sorry about some bad things you met in our company.

In fact, most of our products can be sold to individual customers. However, a few products are not sold to individual buyers. Because of the requirement of MOQ, some models need have some adjustment the mold because the old mold was bought out of ownership by large wholesalers, or some models was sell out but, but there is no new production plan in a short time,we need a certain quantity to re produce.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
My friend, I'm sorry about some bad things you met in our company.

In fact, most of our products can be sold to individual customers. However, a few products are not sold to individual buyers. Because of the requirement of MOQ, some models need have some adjustment the mold because the old mold was bought out of ownership by large wholesalers, or some models was sell out but, but there is no new production plan in a short time,we need a certain quantity to re produce.
I have two LCES004 frames. I would be interested in the covers for both.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjN-SBhCkARIsACsrBz5HY3ikPkuhHUUsRCZmJTOpnmdShjskgGc8-E57bOLPQP5OYHXfe2oaAnHFEALw_wcB

Spank spoon 800 35 mm 60 deg rise.

Thanks!

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
have two LCES004 frames. I would be interested in the covers for both.
The biggest problem now is that if the quantity is small, only aluminum alloy materials can be used. but In order to remove the battery conveniently, the cover plate needs to be plug-in, but it is difficult to insert both ends of the aluminum alloy. If plastic materials are used, a mold is needed, and the quotation given to me by the mold factory is relatively high, so we must stock up a lot of cover plates. We are trying other solutions.

Dave Rand

Jan 25, 2022
Kent Uk
I feel a lot of this battery cover issue comes from Lightcarbon not understanding the customer of DIY Ebikes. The idea to build a DIY bike is the make a taylor made bike to suit the individual needs. So some of us will have a lighter local trail build. Some long range heavy all day mountain builds, or maybe a lover voltage high capacity build for vast miles on cycle paths.
All of the above means different motors, different batteries, different gears, tyres on and on!

Lightcarbon Carbon do lots of different parts, handle bars, drink bottles,stems,wheels etc. so staff saying “we only do Frames” is bs!

as for the cover mounting design, that’s a first year design student stuff my 8year old could do.

Spend any time of Facebook DIY bike pages or DIY battery builders and the question of which frame comes up and the Lightcarbon lack of a battery cover always comes up or where can I buy a Bafang empty battery case!

E6B72CBC-9A7D-4A01-8A0C-B25473125FD9.jpeg

0496F00B-5ACC-47FC-AD4C-50CA8638BD18.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles