Light Innertubes to carry as a spare for 2.6 tyres

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
For the last few years, I have been carrying one of those orange Tubolito TPU tubes as a spare. I recently had to use it, and I couldn't get it to work. I have a Topeak pump with a screw on hose, and after pumping up the tyre, whenever I tried to un-screw the pump. the valve came out, very closely followed be all the air!!!!!
So, I used a valve key to screw the valve in tighter, and it went in so deep that the pump didn't go on any more. :mad:
I was screwed!!!

I bought a plus sized MTB normal tube for a spare, but it is about 3 x the size / weight as the orange thermoplastic elastomer one. Makes my under-seat bag so bulky I constantly get Tyre Buz.

What do you guys recommend? Advantages / disadvantages.

Stubble

Jun 1, 2022
Australia
I also carry a Tubolito in my hip pack which is permanently in there. I haven't had to use it yet. It's an emergency, emergency spare as on longer rides I also have a standard tube strapped to my frame. I'm interested to hear people's opinion on the Tubolito as well.

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
I looked at the "emergency tubes" but what if you get a flat quite early into a biggish route? Will it survive the rest of the ride if its rocky, can you run them at a reasonably low pressure so you can enjoy the rest of the trail? For me there were too many compromises and the back pack was full so I bought a frame strap and now carry a full size tube. You don't forget it when its strapped to the bike as well.

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
If I carry a spare tube, I take a Schwalbe Extralight one (SV19A I think) as an emergency backup. Its rated up to 2.4” but that’s fine as a temporary fix for 2.8” tyres. It’s compact when folded and only 120 odd grams. About £8.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Has anyone looked at those Schwalbe Aerothan tubes? I can never work out the conversion from something like 54-62/622. Everything else on tyres is in inches, but Schwalbe sticks to Metric. (Which is much better.. however in this case...)

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I got the Schwalbe Aerothan tube and it looks / feels excellent.
I also got a set of Schwalbe Glueless Patches which are for the Aerothan tube. Small and light.
Definitely looks like better quality than the orange Tubilito things and is about the same weight.
So, I will take this as a spare tube with me.
1660896683116.png
1660896703344.png

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I looked at the "emergency tubes" but what if you get a flat quite early into a biggish route? Will it survive the rest of the ride if its rocky, can you run them at a reasonably low pressure so you can enjoy the rest of the trail?

Those are exactly my own concerns regarding the "lite" or "emergency" tubes. If it's an emergency, then I don't want some half-baked compromise. I want the real deal.

Maybe these newfangled plastic tubes are the shizz... I don't know. But I'm a dinosaur, and I'm comfortable with the thick tubes that have worked just fine since we crawled out of the primordial ooze.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I carry two Tubolitos in my backpack (I have a mullet bike). It never occurred to me that they might be made useless by a dodgy valve. I need to check them, otherwise I'm carrying useless weight and risk being greatly inconvenienced. :(

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I’ve had to use my Tubilito with the removable valve only once. It worked fine. Got me through the rest of the ride. But my pump doesn’t have a screw on head. Just the *normal* lock on lever. I can see why a screw on head would be an issue.

Gordon

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I carry two Tubolitos in my backpack (I have a mullet bike). It never occurred to me that they might be made useless by a dodgy valve. I need to check them, otherwise I'm carrying useless weight and risk being greatly inconvenienced. :(
They’re not dodgy. Just incompatible with pumps that need to be screwed on to the valve to inflate.

Gordon

TappedOut59

Jun 8, 2022
USA
Installed 2 Tubolito TPU tubes in my 29 x 2.6 tires for reduced weight, but mostly easier install with Tannus Armour Tire Inserts. Tubolito supposed to be more puncture resistant too, maybe but expensive. Inflation was fine but used Milwaukee M12 Tire pump with Presta to Schrader adapter, so guess adapter could be used with any screw on Schrader pump. On the road works fine with CO2 inflator as screws on threads that valve cap does.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I have a 27.5" x 2.10 - 3.00 Schwalbe Freeride Inner Tube No. 21F × 1 in my bag. I run tubeless but figure if that fails for some reason it can't hurt to have a tube handy. It's not lightweight or anything special but I think the weight penalty is offset by how useful it might be one day 🤷‍♂️

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I guess my problem is that I use the Topeak Race rocket pump. One I can highly recommend, but it has the screw on valve connector. The Tubolito valves are simply too loose and come out too easily for this pump.
1661007858872.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles