Lightweight riders, tyres and/or inserts?

GolfChick

May 16, 2019
UK
I've ordered the new Orbea Rise H15 ready for delivery in February and I'm not going to keep either of the tyres. The reckon will be pathetic and I already have a dissector which I occasionally chuck on the back of my hightower once it dries up.

Unlike most I'm a mere 65kg and 5ft7 but ride pretty hard predominantly in the Lake District so pretty rocky. I can't decide whether to bother with an insert or just go for a double down or EXO+ on the back. I'd like to keep it as light as possible, generally run 20psi on my hightower and haven't pinched for about 10 years or more. Are there any other equally lightweight people and what setup have you gone for?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hey. How's it going?
Run the same tyres (tread, size, casing and volume) you'd use on the hightower.
up your rear tyre pressure 1 or 2 psi if you're struggling to lift the rear over square edges.

it's a myth that Ebikes need tougher tyres.
Yes they're a few kilos heavier. But once you get used to that you should be riding it just as smoothly (or not) as you do your normal bikes.
lighter tyres absolutely transform an Emtb's nimbleness/playfulness. so you're right not to want to add needless weight there.

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Unlike most I'm a mere 65kg and 5ft7 but ride pretty hard predominantly in the Lake District so pretty rocky. I can't decide whether to bother with an insert or just go for a double down or EXO+ on the back.

I'm a rotund 89 kg. Our local mountains are rockier than some might imagine. I run regular DHR II, DHF, and Assegais on my bikes with no inserts. Considering your svelte proportions, I'd think you wouldn't have to run heavy tires or inserts. Just make sure to keep an eye on your pressures.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I run a low power levo SL , I've found that running dhr max grip double down tyre on the rear creates horrendous drag/rolling resistance, I ran this tubeless. I have now put some old maxxis dhr, max terra, Exo tyres back on but with Rimpact tyre inserts. i am running 5 psi less in each tyre with the inserts and the rolling resistance is still much much less and the speed of the bike is much faster. Something to consider ,.. maybe? However, the inserts definitely make things feel different. They have a lovely dampening feeling that smooths out some chatter but when pushing into corners you can kind of feel that you are riding on the insert and not air in the tyre. I haven't got used to it yet, still early days. This could be to do with running 17psi in the front, I'm about 87kg.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles