Levo, when I stop pedaling, the motor doesn't for a bit

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
I noticed that if I pedal backwards after those big climbs, the motor desengage quickly. if not, sometimes keeps asisting

JD mech

Dec 15, 2022
CA
I noticed that if I pedal backwards after those big climbs, the motor desengage quickly. if not, sometimes keeps asisting
Hello,
Just bought a used 2019 Kenevo.
I noticed it will overrun for up to about 1 second after I stop pedaling.
I notices the following as well:
- bike puts out full torque if pedals are moving, even if there is zero torque applied to crank
- motor shuts off immediately if a pedal backwards for a fraction of a revolution

One explanation for this behavior would be the torque sensor is reporting a high torque valve all the time, and the motor turns on and off abruptly if the cadence/speed sensor detects pedaling.

I'm considering replacing the torque sensor. Does anyone have some input on this?
It seems that most everyone just replaces the motor when overrun occurs.
Thanks!

Mumraa

Dec 14, 2022
Arrochar
Hi folks, forgive me for my first post I’ve not introduced myself yet.. Joined last week but have been earwigging a good while :).
I bought a levo pro last month and was worried it wouldn’t have the overrun I’m used to on the pw-x2. I find it helps avoid crank strikes on the many steep technical sections up here in the highlands. I love it.
Anyway, hi from Arrochar.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Having owned three FF levos my experience is that overrun is usually an indicator of future motor failure. All three of mine did it before the motor took a crap.

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I’d agree with the above.
I’m on motor 2 and the overrun is getting progressively worse as is the whining! With the occasion ‘clac’ when power is applied after neutral pedal.
I‘ll be taking it soon for a hopeful motor swap

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Having owned three FF levos my experience is that overrun is usually an indicator of future motor failure. All three of mine did it before the motor took a crap.

i was told the same by my local specialized store and it was one of the reasons for my new motor……..as well as the motor sounding as if it was about to explode 🤯

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
It’s been a feature on mine since zero miles, now on about 100.
I noticed it initially after motor swap, changed from series 100 to series 200 motor
Now it’s verging on the dangerous side, whereas initially it was minimal, certainly getting longer engagement.

Moby_IOM

Jan 26, 2021
Isle of Man
Having the same problem now with my 2020 S Works Levo. 10 months old, 1000 miles on the motor. Never did this in the beginning. Had the 2018 Levo and now this replaced it so I am quite used to the strong assist in Turbo. I've learned to manage it quite well and use it often on our tight, technical, very steep mountain trails with even steeper rocky step-ups where it is impossible to make it in trail, needing 100% assist for extended periods of time. I believe this has led to this problem, possibly secondary to overheating of motor? Never thought to check the motor temperature in the app unfortunately.
This is definitely not something one can get used to. I am a skilled rider and this bike is scary. It will suddenly shoot you off the trail in 100% assist at a moment when you don't want that and you cannot cover it quickly enough with the brake. Those who are suggesting that simply have not experienced what we are talking about. Yes I know I loved the normal, very brief run on initially which helped you over obstacles. This is not that. This is an abnormality of the torque sensor with unexpected intermittent accelerations to 100% assist that persists for 2-3 sec while riding as well as after stopping pedaling.
With my bike, the motor whine also got noticeably louder as this developed. Finally under extreme torque on very steep sections the motor is now making a tic tic tic tic sound, almost like a creaky crank arm except that the sound is not there under the same pressure with the motor turned off, only when the motor is on. Therefore it's not the crank arm which is properly torqued down anyway. And the tic sound disappears as soon as you let off the pedal pressure. This suggests some component is deteriorating (sprag clutch starting to disintegrate?) and sure as heck sounds like it is about to break.
LBS has a call into specialized but of course they are understaffed and taking about two or three weeks to get back because of the pandemic and will just have to wait. Thankfully the bike is still rideable although it shoots me off the trail multiple times on any three hour ride without warning. Has started to loop out several times on steep climbs which is difficult to control with a 47 pound bag ha ha. The date on my motor is April 2019. Hoping to get one of the 2020 motors in replacement. Really not happy to hear that some people are getting a 2019 motor in replacement. Keeping fingers crossed.
Forgot to add that it is now also beginning to do it in trial mode, just not as powerful as in Turbo. Even in Eco mode the assist will become suddenly variable as you're peddling along at a steady speed on the road. Trying to be thorough to help others who might be experiencing similar.

Old thread I know but I'm having the same issue on my 2019.... original motor believe it or not! Did yours get replaced?

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
You really need to have the Specialized Control App dialed in to help prevent this. Read about it and do research and you can make this pretty much go away. There are settings that control your initial pedal stroke and how it affects motor response.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles