Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Custom Builds

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I installed 27.5 wheels with 2.2 tires. Trail changed from 110 to 100, BB height changed by about 19 mm. Steering is a little quicker although I am not experienced (or good) enough of a rider to tell a difference. I like the way it rides and handles, more like my analog XC bike (caveat: I do not ride anything that could be considered technical or steep downhills).

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
This one is a mates and still in development .. 180 front and rear running on 27.5's but will probably switch to a 29 on the front.

View attachment 30804

Levo SL comp Alu.
2019 Kenevo wheels, fork, cassette.
2020 Kenevo Linkage arm
2019 Levo Shock link
Öhlins is a custom 216/65

Wow - I am really surprised all of the linkage and shock changes worked out. A few questions along those lines :

Is that custom Ohlins off of a 2019 Kenevo? I believe that has slightly shorter stroke, but same overall length. I was toying with trying to throw mine on the SL to test out a coil, but I realized that the mounting on the shaft side was non-standard on.

Any touching on the chain stay or frame with the non-stock linkages? It’s super close touching the chain stay on the stock link already.

Probably not easy to determine, but how do these changes impact the leverage rate? Overall would be ~2.8 which is slightly less than stock, but i would be curious to see if this would follow the new kenevo curve more closely, which is more progressive than the old kenevo

Pretty cool that you can mod this bike that much and still retain a lot of it’s same feel.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Wow - I am really surprised all of the linkage and shock changes worked out. A few questions along those lines :

Is that custom Ohlins off of a 2019 Kenevo? I believe that has slightly shorter stroke, but same overall length. I was toying with trying to throw mine on the SL to test out a coil, but I realized that the mounting on the shaft side was non-standard on.

Any touching on the chain stay or frame with the non-stock linkages? It’s super close touching the chain stay on the stock link already.

Probably not easy to determine, but how do these changes impact the leverage rate? Overall would be ~2.8 which is slightly less than stock, but i would be curious to see if this would follow the new kenevo curve more closely, which is more progressive than the old kenevo

Pretty cool that you can mod this bike that much and still retain a lot of it’s same feel.

OK a couple of updates from the last few weeks and some answers to questions ..

The shock is actually a 222/65 ohlins with two offset bushes reducing the over all to 216/65. Standard Kenevo shock length is 216/57 with their own shock block which wouldn’t work with this. Öhlins do not offer a 216/65 shock but both Rockshock and Fox do offer that length in air and coil.

The Kenevo link is longer as are the shock link bolt holes and seat stay bolt holes positions so the leverage is longer. The inside frame gap is about the same as standard.

Also, he checked with a board and a pencil through the axle to make sure there was 180 travel.

Hope that helps answer that ?

Some other feedback/updates.

He's tried it with different forks (Also 180mm) and different combinations of 29" and 27.5" riding different terrain. Hasn't had chance to hammer it in the last couple of weeks on any proper downhill with any of these changes.

His conclusions so far on the setup(s) with the 180mm F/R:

27.5" Front and Back makes a great park bike. Super fun on jumps and tight berms.

29" Front and Back makes a great trail bike.

With the 29"'s - great roll over and better ground clearance. Not as nimble as the 27.5" but still very capable.

Mullet setup. Didn't feel as good as either the 27.5 or the 29 setup on trails or bike park type riding - but he felt it would make a great gravity bike as it was the closest in feeling to a Kenevo.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Friend decided to build another one. Carbon this time ...

Lyrik 180
Ohlins shock measuring 219 x 70 (measurements were incorrect on the last one) - 180 - might need a spacer to 173 as there's a chance of contact with the carbon frame for some reason, but still working on that.
Code Rs with Hope 220 front and 200 rear.
Chris king hubs with Btlos carbon rims and Aerolight spokes
AXS Dropper
Renthal carbon bars
Shimano Saint 10 speed 11/36 with a 28T front ring

Total weight is 18.6kg.

180c2.jpg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Wow! Killer build. Really like the understated stealthy all black. Just the gold on the olins and renthal stem and silver on the lyric for a little pop. Id "marks a lot" the tire lettering

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Friend decided to build another one. Carbon this time ...

Lyrik 180
Ohlins shock measuring 219 x 70 (measurements were incorrect on the last one) - 180 - might need a spacer to 173 as there's a chance of contact with the carbon frame for some reason, but still working on that.
Code Rs with Hope 220 front and 200 rear.
Chris king hubs with Btlos carbon rims and Aerolight spokes
AXS Dropper
Renthal carbon bars
Shimano Saint 10 speed 11/36 with a 28T front ring

Total weight is 18.6kg.

View attachment 33263
Wow - stunner.
Curious if you do see chainstay contact. I have been able to get my shock yoke to touch the chainstay with certain geometry changes.

Any idea what head tube angle that is at now?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Wow - stunner.
Curious if you do see chainstay contact. I have been able to get my shock yoke to touch the chainstay with certain geometry changes.

Any idea what head tube angle that is at now?
Shock yoke hasn’t touched yet but it has around 2mm clearance currently. Will need more testing to see though ...

Head tube is at 64 degrees, right where he likes it :)

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I'd run a Levo SL with 27.5 AND an increase in fork travel in a heart beat BTW.

Yup. Im currently running that exact setup on my 2019 levo....27.5 with 160mm fork. Will be doing the exact same thing when my SL arrives.

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
Just picked up an SL after an injury so I can keep up with the boys till I’m back at speed. Moved Z1/XTR/king wheels/ stem bar over from the old enduro sled.
Been raining like mad, so it’s only seen some street rides but looking promising from skids and wheelies thus far.

C960C2F3-EF91-4858-8E3C-FB31CA8FD933.jpeg

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
IMG_0835.jpg

Build in now truly underway.

Zebs went on this week. They are AMAZING. Have always been a bit of a kashima fanboy up until now but fancied trying something different.

Full OneUp cockpit, stem bars and EDC tool.

Pinched a few other bits and bobs from some doner bikes and a new set of boots, why not.

Thinking the rear now needs improving next but still can't decide which way to go coil or air.....

Last thing will be the brakes. They stop and thats all im saying.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
@danf72 thats supper slick looking all shiny black!!!

@Manitunc have you by chance ever measured actual travel of the rear? I’m interested in seeing what people are getting with a 210/55 with the CC. Zimmerframes friends build With 27.5 and longer shock pulling 180 rear is epic.
Haven’t measured and not sure how to do it other than measuring the bottom bracket drop.

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
Another one of the Carbon 180 SL :

View attachment 33594

boredom has me looking to mullet the SL.

looking at a 216x63 used shock to get a feel for it trying to keep geo similar to as is now (170 fork and high shock position).

do you have to use the kenevo Link and wishbone/extender to clear frame?

math looks like i could pop on the 216x63 and 27.5x2.5 tire and be good (with reduced top end assist for now)?

Trying to think it through before buying a bunch of parts only to find out it doesnt work... ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
boredom has me looking to mullet the SL.

looking at a 216x63 used shock to get a feel for it trying to keep geo similar to as is now (170 fork and high shock position).

do you have to use the kenevo Link and wishbone/extender to clear frame?

math looks like i could pop on the 216x63 and 27.5x2.5 tire and be good (with reduced top end assist for now)?

Trying to think it through before buying a bunch of parts only to find out it doesnt work... ?
He says ....

Ok so my shock is a 222 with a 3mm onset bush. So the actual shock eye to eye measurement is 219/70
The Levo shock link is 12mm shorter than the Levo SL/Kenevo shock link so basically my bike is in low flip chip position.
With the Kenevo link he’d need to run a 222 x 66/67 shock with a 3mm offset lower bush to get 170/172mm rear travel.
I’d run a 170 Zeb/Fox 38 shock and the mullet would work.

And ...

I’m not sure on the stock link with longer shocks as I never checked it out but I’d guess it won’t work. The Kenevo link is longer and the shock bolt is also further back.
In theory you could use the 216/63 shock with an offset bush but it will lift the bike up to much imho and with 216/63 that would give a theoretical 180mm travel but I’d almost guarantee it will hit.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Here's my custom build, currently in progress.

Fox 36 fork with Push ACS3
Push ElevenSix Shock
Cascade Component Link
Hope Tech 3 V4
Hope rotors (200 & 180)
Deity Copperhead Stem 35mm
Deity Carbon Bar 780mm
Wolftooth dropper lever
Deity Speed Trap Saddle
Wolftooth seat clamp
Praxis carbon crank 165mm
Spank Oozy pedals

View attachment 37021
Question, my fox 36 has a small sticker that says ebike optimized. Did yours have that. Concerned since ACS3 kit says not for the Fox 36 E. Thank you.

flippn

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Question, my fox 36 has a small sticker that says ebike optimized. Did yours have that. Concerned since ACS3 kit says not for the Fox 36 E. Thank you.

Sorry, no help here because my Fox 36 is non ebike specific. I'm curious what about the Fox 36 E makes it not compatible with the ACS3.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I thought the Fox 36 E forks were thicker walled and used 34mm internals?

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
IMG_2039.jpg

Believe it or not, I am not a dentist

Build so far:

- 2021 Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate
- Roval Traverse Carbon SL
- XTR M9100 derailleur
- XT M8100 shifter
- XT M8100 10-51 12 speed cassette
- XT m8100 chain
- XT pedals I have been running for about 7 years, not sure of vintage
- Funn 45mm stem
- Pivot 800 mm carbon bars
- Ergon GA2 grips
- Magura MT5 brakes
- Maxxis DHF TR 2.5 WT Exo
- Maxxis DHR 2.4 WT 3c MaxxTerra Exo+

To be delivered:
- Manitou Mezzer Pro (Had a weird situation with the forks and I am debating whether to cancel this order now that the Lyrik showed up)

Wishlist:
- Undetermined rear shock
- Lighter weight saddle
- Carbon cranks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles