Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Dual DD tires adds about 650 grams on a mullet bike
A FF alone adds about 5500 grams, and needs the extra 650 gram tires F&R even worse ending up over 6 kgs heavier.
To top it off, lots of pedal bike run DD tires.
I assure you that building an enduro capable SL doesn't mean you should have just bought a FF cause they weigh the same anyways.

Bluedirtz

May 6, 2023
PNW Dirt
It’s all about personal preference. Even though this now weighs 45.5lbs, I don’t feel it. I actually enjoy pedaling it more vs. when it had the air shock. There’s something about the coil in this bike and you have to ride it to understand it.

The other day, I rode 4100 ft elevation with another guy on FF levo and I was able to match his speed on the climbs without him waiting for me. I ended up having 25% battery left after the ride and the FF levo had less than that.

My settings were 40/100, 60/100, 100/100.
I was on eco 85 % of the time and 15% trail per the app.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Dual DD tires adds about 650 grams on a mullet bike
A FF alone adds about 5500 grams, and needs the extra 650 gram tires F&R even worse ending up over 6 kgs heavier.
To top it off, lots of pedal bike run DD tires.
I assure you that building an enduro capable SL doesn't mean you should have just bought a FF cause they weigh the same anyways.
There is 3kg difference between a FF Levo frame/battery/motor and a KSL frame/battery/motor.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Update on the frameset!

It is indeed the satin black carbon, looks great with the dark silver and carbon linkage details.

I can also confirm it comes with range extender and full headset.

I’ve just had to order a BBT 79 bottom bracket tool though as you need this to mount the chainring!

Just need to free up some time to start building it now!
Is BBT 79 definitely the correct tool for the bottom bracket? I had the shop install mine… but was going to buy one.

Park do a BBT79 and a BBT79.3 🙄

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I think he’s referring to Levo vs Levo SL though.?
@Suns_PSD did you weigh the frame/battery/motor/cranks of the Levo SL? I find it very hard to believe it's 2kg heavier than a KSL....that's a lot of carbon given it's the same motor, battery and cranks.

On my scales
Gen 3 Levo frame/motor/battery/cranks was 11.25kg
KSL was 8.15kg
(my Voima is 13.7kg and rides lighter than the Levo).

WBXVIII

Sep 15, 2023
New Zealand
Hi all hopefully this is in the right place. A demo review: hi all, I test rode the comp version of this bike in Rotorua, NZ and loved it. I have been looking for an SL E-bike that feels like a regular A.M bike on the downs and takes a bit of the strain off the uphills, while still working for it.
1. This bike feels amazing going down! Like I had owned it for months already. flow trails, double blacks whatever. Loved the mullet setup too for whipping round turns and switchbacks. (I find 29/29 too long on tighter trails.)
2. Ups... very natural feel. I mostly used it in eco and trail modes, then worked out the micro tune was awesome to get perfect amount of assist on each section, for example going 10% extra on trail for a steeper hill. a big plus over other bikes with only 4 modes I think, and crucial for riding with a smaller capacity battery. I had no range extender, rode til I was dead for the day and my stats were 45km / 1,300m elevation / 3.5 hrs (moving) My only negative was that i had 20% battery left on my last big climb, so thought I had timed it well, but the system started restricting my power to the point where I couldnt get up the hill and had to abort the run. Im hoping this was a setting in the app that can be adjusted, for example 10% left. With a range extender I would have been able to be more aggressive / use more trail / turbo mode for the day or go for more elevation. Very close to pulling the trigger on this bike.
Does anyone know if it is likely that thew internal battery could be updated at some stage? has Specialized done this before? If so that would be amazing and give it some longevity / flexibility to ride without range ext. cheers.

Oct 5, 2021
Malaysia
I’d quite like 165mm instead of 170… but I feel 155mm would be a bit short for me. I had 165mm on my Gen1 bike for about 3 years and found it the ideal compromise between leverage and rock strikes!!
I ordered the 155's from the Levo Kids Hard tail for the SL1.2 motor. Fit great. Lots of rocks on my local trails so 160mm is my normal but cant get in that size, just 155 or 165 or 170.

PXL_20230918_021231077.jpg

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I see that a couple of extra colours have loaded up on the UK site for the S-Works. Quite like the red. No stock yet mind.

bcmtb

Nov 1, 2021
WA
Really interested in one of these. Is it worth going for the Expert trim over the Comp? Are any of the higher ones worth it? For just a regular weekend warrior.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Had anyone successfully purchased a set of S-WORKS decals to go over the original ones on the frame?

I’ve had 2 sets sent out so far from Indiprint / Indibike… the first set were way too big. I measured various dimensions and sent it to them, but the second set weren’t long enough and were too high (and not the dimensions I asked for!).

I’ve tried contacting SLIK multiple times as I’ve had great success with them in the past - however they don’t answer emails / Insta messages.

Looking for a recommendation.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Had anyone successfully purchased a set of S-WORKS decals to go over the original ones on the frame?

I’ve had 2 sets sent out so far from Indiprint / Indibike… the first set were way too big. I measured various dimensions and sent it to them, but the second set weren’t long enough and were too high (and not the dimensions I asked for!).

I’ve tried contacting SLIK multiple times as I’ve had great success with them in the past - however they don’t answer emails / Insta messages.

Looking for a recommendation.
Slik are a nightmare. You tried ride decals?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Slik are a nightmare. You tried ride decals?
I haven’t yet. Have you used them before?

I ordered Industry Nine wheel graphics from Slik since they’re the ‘official partner’, and they’ve been shipped within a few days. They must fulfill orders - just have no interest in answering emails / requests!!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Sharing in case it's of any use to anyone else. The Fox Float X that came with the bike failed after a few hundred miles, leaking air and oil. After a number of failed Fox components over the past year I decided to try another air shock.

RS Super Deluxe was the obvious choice, I reached out to Specialized to find out about the recommended tune for the Levo SL, they were pretty unhelpful saying that their ride dynamics team had never tested this shock so specific state of tune could not be shared.

I reached out to SRAM who were far more helpful, you can buy the shock with a specific tune for the frame (00.4118.358.065) but they said that a few folks were using the stock LNL tune on their Levos at their Colorado HQ with excellent results.

I decided to try the stock tune (00.4118.358.004) and I have to say that it's been amazing. It feels more supportive, plush and controlled that the Float X, it now makes me wonder about the value of RX tune program!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Sharing in case it's of any use to anyone else. The Fox Float X that came with the bike failed after a few hundred miles, leaking air and oil. After a number of failed Fox components over the past year I decided to try another air shock.

RS Super Deluxe was the obvious choice, I reached out to Specialized to find out about the recommended tune for the Levo SL, they were pretty unhelpful saying that their ride dynamics team had never tested this shock so specific state of tune could not be shared.

I reached out to SRAM who were far more helpful, you can buy the shock with a specific tune for the frame (00.4118.358.065) but they said that a few folks were using the stock LNL tune on their Levos at their Colorado HQ with excellent results.

I decided to try the stock tune (00.4118.358.004) and I have to say that it's been amazing. It feels more supportive, plush and controlled that the Float X, it now makes me wonder about the value of RX tune program!
I've got a Super Deluxe Ultimate on mine, with a custom tune from J-Tech... and the difference between that and the Float X is night and day. The SDU was on my LSL 1.1 for about 3 years, and I had it re-tuned for the LSL 1.2. I also have a MegNeg on it.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I've got a Super Deluxe Ultimate on mine, with a custom tune from J-Tech... and the difference between that and the Float X is night and day. The SDU was on my LSL 1.1 for about 3 years, and I had it re-tuned for the LSL 1.2. I also have a MegNeg on it.
The MY23 RS SD (C1) is not compatible with the NegNeg, it now only uses either a progressive or linear air can. The Levo/Levo SL works best with a linear air can on this shock.

A little tip, metric shocks share the same parts between shocks with the same eye to eye but different stroke lengths. The 210x55 shock on the Levo is a popular size so it is typically priced higher than the less popular 210x50. I bought a 210x50 shock and removed the travel spacer for a pretty substantial cost saving!

1696329671800.png

One word of warning, don't attempt to do this on the version with hydraulic bottom out (HBO) as you will destroy the shock! :oops:

datoch

May 1, 2023
Georgia
If anyone interested in battery performance with microtune, today I did test ride (Levo SL comp Carbon, my weight - 82kg):

Elevation - 657 m
Distance - 16.19 km
Battery used - 41%

I think numbers are looking good.

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
no use of microtune, rider 92kg, Levo SL expert 18.5kg
772 m evaluation
24km distance
63% batterie used
all in Eco 35/65
93 minutes ride
it was intense but nice 😏

Last edited:

BA_MTB

Oct 4, 2023
So Cal
Has anyone upgraded cranks yet ?

Looks like they are standard dub cranks but without the spindle. Is it just as simple as that ? Would 5dev dub cranks work? How about xx cranks meant for acoustic bikes ?
Looks like they make them now.

crank.JPG

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Did you manage to update this OTA, my app shows the update but states it needs to be taken to a dealer :mad:
Turbo Studio update unfortunately. I really don't understand why we can't do these kind of updates via mission control, makes the update feature kind of pointless imo!

Reactions: RAG

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
Turbo Studio update unfortunately. I really don't understand why we can't do these kind of updates via mission control, makes the update feature kind of pointless imo!
That’s really disappointing, I thought this approach was a thing of the past ☹️

Cynically, can’t help think it’s related to keeping the footfall rates up at the dealers!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
That’s really disappointing, I thought this approach was a thing of the past ☹️

Cynically, can’t help think it’s related to keeping the footfall rates up at the dealers!
I will personally refuse to pay for this update due to running into a bug caused by the current version. I use the charge limit feature to limit the charge to 80%, this is now broken since reaching the 10th charge.

• Charge Limit improvement (now resets after the 10th charge cycle, as intended)

I can update the TCU and Motor via MC on my Gen 3 Levo, why not on the SL?? Come on Specialized, sort it out! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RAG

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I will personally refuse to pay for this update due to running into a bug caused by the current version. I use the charge limit feature to limit the charge to 80%, this is now broken since reaching the 10th charge.

• Charge Limit improvement (now resets after the 10th charge cycle, as intended)
I think this is because it needs fully charging once in a while to balance the cells. So it does a forced reset.

I guess you just tell it you want 80% again after that and you get another 10 partial charges.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I think this is because it needs fully charging once in a while to balance the cells. So it does a forced reset.

I guess you just tell it you want 80% again after that and you get another 10 partial charges.
The issue is that after 10 partial charges, it does a full charge as expected, but then fails to reset and never goes back to a partial charge. Looks like the new FW fixes this issue...

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
The issue is that after 10 partial charges, it does a full charge as expected, but then fails to reset and never goes back to a partial charge. Looks like the new FW fixes this issue...
Has the new update worked for you? The new Specialized app is saying everything is fine and the battery charge limit is set to 80% but it's still doing full charges. :unsure:

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
Looks like they make them now.

View attachment 126110
I am looking to upgrade my 23' Specialized Levo SL 1.2 crankset to the Sram DUB Carbon crankarms, as are offered stock on the Sworks bike. Anyone have access to the part/ part number? I wonder of these are the same crank arms as the analog bike , minus the spindle, or if the e-bike version has a different q factor? Any info or correct part/where to buy would be appreciated!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles