Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

squealing brakes

May 23, 2023
Kent
After spending the first 2 months with a 29 rear wheel, I have swapped over to a 27.5 out back, I guess as the makers intended it. I think I like the mullet set up more. Most of my riding is twisty undulating single track, and it now seems to tuck into the corners better and be more fun. I guess I have lost some 'free' speed with the smaller wheel, but it feels that I can ride the bike faster through the turns.

Was wondering whether this improvement is just my imagination - I need to give 29' another try just to check - or whether the general consensus is that mullet is best.

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
After spending the first 2 months with a 29 rear wheel, I have swapped over to a 27.5 out back, I guess as the makers intended it. I think I like the mullet set up more. Most of my riding is twisty undulating single track, and it now seems to tuck into the corners better and be more fun. I guess I have lost some 'free' speed with the smaller wheel, but it feels that I can ride the bike faster through the turns.

Was wondering whether this improvement is just my imagination - I need to give 29' another try just to check - or whether the general consensus is that mullet is best.
I thoroughly tried full 29 and mullet on the GEN3 and I felt exactly the same as you.
On the SL2 I am delighted with the mullet wheel in HIGH + LONG, I don't even feel like trying the 29 behind

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
IMG_5411.jpeg
IMG_5410.jpeg
IMG_5412.jpeg
IMG_5400.jpeg

Strikos

Aug 21, 2023
Australia
IMG_0248.jpeg

Just picked up my S4 and wrapped it with ride wrap. Next step switch to tubeless this weekend and take it out. Already test ridden it a few times before buying it and absolutely love this bike coming from an analogue MTB

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Not sure about the coil, but the air version works great. I’ve got an S4 frame and it clears the Range Extender. Not sure it’d clear on an S3 though, as there’s not a lot of space.

IMG_5060.jpeg

Bluedirtz

May 6, 2023
PNW Dirt
I have the S3 and the coil doesn’t rub or hit the range extender. I am more asking if the rockshox coil could potentially damage the frame or yolk. I can’t find anything about it.

Thanks!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I have the S3 and the coil doesn’t rub or hit the range extender. I am more asking if the rockshox coil could potentially damage the frame or yolk. I can’t find anything about it.

Thanks!
Rockshox sell a version of the Super Deluxe Coil (C1) specifically tuned for the Levo SL.

RS Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RC2T - 210X55,Prog Reb/L1Comp,320lb Lock,Hydraulic BottomOut,NoBushing, Standard,90Deg (8x20)(Spring Sold Separate)B1 Specialized Levo SL 2022

Older versions of the shock (Pre-MY23 Super Deluxe Coil (A1-A2)) are not compatible with yoke/strut on the bike but all 2023 (C1) and newer versions are.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
View attachment 123605
Just picked up my S4 and wrapped it with ride wrap. Next step switch to tubeless this weekend and take it out. Already test ridden it a few times before buying it and absolutely love this bike coming from an analogue MTB
I have mine properly dialled now and it really is a fantastic bike. Compared to the Gen 1 it’s much quieter and also noticeably more powerful. The geometry took some getting used to as the steering is slower and can lead to understeer(I actually preferred the steering on the Gen 1).
The suspension definitely feels more bottomless too. You’re going to love the bike..

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I have mine properly dialled now and it really is a fantastic bike. Compared to the Gen 1 it’s much quieter and also noticeably more powerful. The geometry took some getting used to as the steering is slower and can lead to understeer(I actually preferred the steering on the Gen 1).
The suspension definitely feels more bottomless too. You’re going to love the bike..
You might prefer a 51mm fork offset...

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
You might prefer a 51mm fork offset...
Probably right but I’ve got more used to it now. Additionally I’ve spent enough!😂
Switching between the Levo SL and the Epic Evo probably doesn’t help. That thing has such amazing steering and is super light.
It’s a tough choice, both amazing bikes..

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I think 51 mm will be slower in steering. Bike will be slacker and longer
Shorter offset or a slacker head angle results in more trail (slower steering); longer offset or a steeper head angle reduces trail, quickening the steering response.

I would start by using the adjustable headset cup set to +1 to quicken the steering response...

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
I would like to change the cranks from 170 to 160mm eventually 155mm on the new Levo SL Gen2 1.2 - this to achieve higher cadence easier to be on the sweetspot of 80-100 rpm were the motor is highly efficient. This mainly when trail section of 15-25 degrees appear. After asking the specification of the crank with Specialized they told me for the 1.2 DUB is in use. Based on market supply it seems only SRAM and Praxiswork does have cranks for ebike. But not 155 or 160. Does anybody know which manufactures provide such cranks?
"Unite" migth be but not sure if the thread diameter would fit...
"Hope" seems not compatible and miranda not seems have DUB or couldn't find.
Any ideas or experience yet of the new Levo SL Gen2 1.2 yet ?

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I would like to change the cranks from 170 to 160mm eventually 155mm on the new Levo SL Gen2 1.2 - this to achieve higher cadence easier to be on the sweetspot of 80-100 rpm were the motor is highly efficient. This mainly when trail section of 15-25 degrees appear. After asking the specification of the crank with Specialized they told me for the 1.2 DUB is in use. Based on market supply it seems only SRAM and Praxiswork does have cranks for ebike. But not 155 or 160. Does anybody know which manufactures provide such cranks?
"Unite" migth be but not sure if the thread diameter would fit...
"Hope" seems not compatible and miranda not seems have DUB or couldn't find.
Any ideas or experience yet of the new Levo SL Gen2 1.2 yet ?
I don't believe there are any aftermarket cranks available to fit 1.2 motor, looks like 5DEV are working on some.

Specialized list 165, 170 and 175 as available but no idea where / if you can actually buy them.

Part numbers are:

Crank ArmAlloy Arms:
  • S211600036 - 165mm
  • S211600037 - 170mm
  • S211600038 - 175mm
Carbon Arms:
  • S211600039 - 165mm
  • S211600040 - 170mm
  • S211600041 - 175mm

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
5DEV not provide for SL Gen 1 cranks therefore I do have some doubt that their focus on new SL Gen2.
I've sent them a request and will see if their answers.
Thanks for the part list - I do have 170mm therefore, I'm not going for 165mm because to lees reduction to get a really improvement.
I've also asked Unite and hoping their answer me.
Your right, after market is not ready for DUB at the moment...

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
5DEV not provide for SL Gen 1 cranks therefore I do have some doubt that their focus on new SL Gen2.
I've sent them a request and will see if their answers.
Thanks for the part list - I do have 170mm therefore, I'm not going for 165mm because to lees reduction to get a really improvement.
I've also asked Unite and hoping their answer me.
Your right, after market is not ready for DUB at the moment...
They’ve already posted the gen2 cranks on their Instagram, I’m sure they’ll be available to purchase soon.

Bluedirtz

May 6, 2023
PNW Dirt
Rockshox sell a version of the Super Deluxe Coil (C1) specifically tuned for the Levo SL.

RS Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RC2T - 210X55,Prog Reb/L1Comp,320lb Lock,Hydraulic BottomOut,NoBushing, Standard,90Deg (8x20)(Spring Sold Separate)B1 Specialized Levo SL 2022

Older versions of the shock (Pre-MY23 Super Deluxe Coil (A1-A2)) are not compatible with yoke/strut on the bike but all 2023 (C1) and newer versions are.

Thank you very much!

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
I think I might have one of the first 1.2 motor issues on this forum.

300.66 miles on the odometer. Cranks stripped out in the motor. When pedaling hard it skips forward.

I believe it might have something to do with how the motor engages because it seems to skip whenever you start pedaling, but once engaged you can pedal hard.

It’ll go to the specialized store later!

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Sounds like an issue with the sprag/roller clutch
Sounds like you know more than me!

I noticed the skipping starting around 260 miles based on my memory. I chalked it up to a misaligned derailleur, but on a 30 mile ride today it got to the point where I had to hop off the trail and ride roads home.

I never had any issues with my SL1, so hopefully this is an isolated incident and the warranty motor will be as reliable as the first!

squealing brakes

May 23, 2023
Kent
I am struggling to get anywhere near full travel on the rear using the Float X shock, pressurized to 30% sag (16mm). The most travel I got on the shock so far is 43mm out of 55mm - 78% or about 120mm wheel travel, which is a bit frustrating. I weigh 160lb with shock pressure at 190psi and 6 clicks of rebound, and 0 clicks of compression. Volume spacer has been removed. The shock has been set up with Shockwiz and gets OK on pressure and rebound, and requires less compression damping, which I am stuck with. Note shock has been relubed, and it can physically achieve the full 55mm with air pressure removed.

The bike fees OK over the small bumps, and ramps up over the large hits - but only to 78%. My riding is not extreme - mainly undulating woodland XC trails. I think my aging body would be struggling to deal with really big hits that it seems I need to do to get near full travel.

Seems to me I need a shock with a larger air can volume - not sure which. Reducing pressure might solve the travel problem, but will increase the sag above 30% which IME isn't great, leading to a low BB, pedal clipping and wallowing.

I recall reading that the Gen 1 suffered from blowing through travel and bottoming out. I wonder whether the Gen 2 link geometry has over compensated?

I was wondering whether anybody else has similar experiences?

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
That sounds fine to me. If you are riding gently then not using all the travel is rather to be expected surely? If you still have plenty of travel left then surely your "aging body" will be somewhat cushioned if you want to try pushing on a little harder?
How is the fork? Are you using all the travel there?

squealing brakes

May 23, 2023
Kent
I wouldn't call my riding gentle! I more fast and flowing. :) It would just be nice to get somewhere near the advertised max travel without my contact points being in pain. I suspect that my body weight and riding style is on the lighter end of the design spectrum, and removing small 0.2in spacer specced within the shock does not leave much room for tweaking the spring curve. I have had similar, but not as bad, experiences on other bikes, and have normally fixed it with a larger air can - not an option with the Float X.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles