Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
Has everyone had their bike supplied with a SRAM x-sync 2 eagle chainring? Asking as this chainring is not supposed to be compatible with Transmission according to SRAM.

1. Eagle Transmission T-Type chainrings are compatible with Eagle chains, so they can be used on Eagle Drivetrains when mounted to an Eagle Transmission crankset. However, Non-T-Type Eagle Drivetrain chainrings are incompatible with Eagle Transmission T-Type chains.

Specialized now have the correct chainring listed on their website but they don't seem to be available anywhere...

ChainringS231400001CHR TURBO, 32T, T-TYPE 12-SPD, 4-BOLT, 104BCD, 1X RING, ALLOY, SRAM (00.6218.040.010)
That’s interesting, yeah mine has X-SYNC 2.

IMG_2737.jpeg

Looks like this doesn’t officially support the T Type Chains….. You’re running a T Type Transmission aren’t you, any obvious issues?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
So this chainring is not supposed to be transmission compatible. I suspect the issue here is that the bikes were build before transmission was available. Specialized are looking into it for me and I have asked SRAM to comment on the compatibly of the X-Sync 2 chainring.
Looks like I might have to buy a BBT-79 after all to get this thing off!!

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
Looks like I might have to buy a BBT-79 after all to get this thing off!!
I haven’t tried but I reckon you’ll be able to remove the chainring with the spider in place, I’d try that before trying to remove the spider lock ring… it had red thread lock on it so I don’t think it will undo easily!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
That’s interesting, yeah mine has X-SYNC 2.

View attachment 115841

Looks like this doesn’t officially support the T Type Chains….. You’re running a T Type Transmission aren’t you, any obvious issues?
I'm building up the frame this weekend, Transmission is being moved from another bike. I knew about the chainring when I received the frame so tried to source a t-type version (Eagle Transmission E-MTB Chainring 104 BCD - CR-TTYP-104-A1 - SRAM) which turned out not to be compatible with the spider. So it looks like SRAM now make a compatible t-type ring but it's not available anywhere.

I suspect that the full S-Works build will also have an X-Sync 2 chainrings.

• Helpful
Reactions: RAG

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I guess we need someone who got a new S-Works complete bike with T-Type to confirm what they have.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I guess we need someone who got a new S-Works complete bike with T-Type to confirm what they have.
X-SYNC 2. I would imagine t-type chainring will only come on the bikes being built from now on...

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Has everyone had their bike supplied with a SRAM x-sync 2 eagle chainring? Asking as this chainring is not supposed to be compatible with Transmission according to SRAM.

1. Eagle Transmission T-Type chainrings are compatible with Eagle chains, so they can be used on Eagle Drivetrains when mounted to an Eagle Transmission crankset. However, Non-T-Type Eagle Drivetrain chainrings are incompatible with Eagle Transmission T-Type chains.

Specialized now have the correct chainring listed on their website but they don't seem to be available anywhere...

ChainringS231400001CHR TURBO, 32T, T-TYPE 12-SPD, 4-BOLT, 104BCD, 1X RING, ALLOY, SRAM (00.6218.040.010)
You can ignore everything I said, SRAM responded with the following:
SRAM_logo_Zendesk_agent.png

I apologize for the confusion and will try to help clarify! There were some compatible chainrings that were released ahead of Eagle Transmission that were marked "X-Sync 2" on the front but are compatible with T-Type chains. These compatible rings will be stamped "TG" on the back, near one of the bolt holes

1685128672568.jpeg

Specialized didn't seem to know anything about this! :rolleyes:

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Well mines first one up for sale! lovely bike but i am going to stick with my full power and analogue!
its up on here and pink bike if anyone's interested!

Comp S4 in the brown, will throw in the range extender for free for anyone on here though its got the old levo sl cable :)
Bloody hell, that was quick.
I guess there is only room for two bikes that will get used enough. Need to choose the right two for you

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
You can ignore everything I said, SRAM responded with the following:
SRAM_logo_Zendesk_agent.png

I apologize for the confusion and will try to help clarify! There were some compatible chainrings that were released ahead of Eagle Transmission that were marked "X-Sync 2" on the front but are compatible with T-Type chains. These compatible rings will be stamped "TG" on the back, near one of the bolt holes

View attachment 115848

Specialized didn't seem to know anything about this! :rolleyes:
Well done with the digging and getting an answer!

Odd that the teeth pattern isn’t the same as the t-type one you posted… but SRAM will know best.

I’ll make sure I have a TG stamped on mine.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Honestly I enjoy it very much, the last thing I have not tested yet are real gnarly and steep terrains, but in June I am planning a trip in the Alps !
Btw I had cold feet also at some points but because I sold my gen 1 SL months ago I had plenty enough time to «convince» myself 😂
How do you feel it rolls/keeps momentum compared to the Gen1? The mullet must have some effect on this I’d imagine.
The Epic Evo picks up rolling speed so quickly and keeps on giving when not pedalling. The Gen1 wasn’t as good in this department which is understandable.
Just be interested how it compares to the Gen1 in this respect.
The Mullet is my only reservation at this time which I know can be remedied but that woildn mean more money😅

afk314

Apr 22, 2023
Boise, ID
Out of curiosity, what should I expect to pay for a complete 29" rear wheel setup for the new SL? I don't have any need to upgrade the spec from the comps 27.5 rear but something reasonable, no corner cutting but not blingy either.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Out of curiosity, what should I expect to pay for a complete 29" rear wheel setup for the new SL? I don't have any need to upgrade the spec from the comps 27.5 rear but something reasonable, no corner cutting but not blingy either.
You can ask your Specialized dealer to order you in the matching 29” Roval wheel for your bike… or even pick one up on eBay. If it’s a Comp, the alloy Roval Traverse isn’t that expensive from memory. Probably get a pair for about £400.

comp29

Dec 14, 2022
Fremont, CA
Yeah I’m thinking cut my losses now rather than later down line! Shame as it’s a great bike but just don’t offer me anything I don’t already have
could you share your thoughts on the bike and additional info on why you’re selling it? Asking as someone who also has a ff and analogue.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Pulled the trigger on the Sworks. Great bike, very lively on the downhill. Quiet, not 100% Quiet. But way better than the Gen1. 1st time on a mullet. Switch backs are a breeze. Rolling small bumps at speed makes you wanna do a manual.

View attachment 115901
Very nice. Good to get another person saying it’s a decent upgrade over the Gen1.
Noticeably quieter than the Gen 1 os good enough for me, though to be honest, the Gen 1 has never bothered me. It’s really wasn’t/isn’t a huge deal to me.

Vegas36

Sep 20, 2019
USA
Very nice. Good to get another person saying it’s a decent upgrade over the Gen1.
Noticeably quieter than the Gen 1 os good enough for me, though to be honest, the Gen 1 has never bothered me. It’s really wasn’t/isn’t a huge deal to me.
Mine Gen1 was noisy. Specialized replaced it once for noise. I don't really notice the bigger motor, since l ride eco 99% of the time at 35% assist. What l do notice now on steep climbs, where you want a short Turbo mode support you can feel it help. Not like the push feeling you had on the Gen1 when in Turbo mode.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
The S-Works only definitely comes with the range extender, new shorter cable, and Y-split charging cable. I now have 2 range extenders!
It comes with a y-split cable too? I had to buy one with the extender battery I bought. Was hoping to have 2 extra batteries. I’m definitely calling specialized to sort this out. The bike shop didn’t know much about it. I ordered online from specialized and the shop built it up

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
It comes with a y-split cable too? I had to buy one with the extender battery I bought. Was hoping to have 2 extra batteries. I’m definitely calling specialized to sort this out. The bike shop didn’t know much about it. I ordered online from specialized and the shop built it up
Nice bike 👍🏻

As P3eps said, the S-Works should come with the RE, RE cable and Y cable. Mine did as well.

Maybe the shop forgot to include them, I think it’s unlikely Specialized would have shipped your bike without them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles