Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I think I messed up on the tool, I got the Park BBT 79.3 which has a much thicker wall, the Park BBT 79 looks lower profile in the wall of the socket so that should do the trick šŸ‘šŸ»
Delivery is about 10 days šŸ™„
Iā€™ll maybe ask the shop to fit the chain ring for now, and order a tool after I check what they use!

My ride on Sunday will be my 2019ā€™s last runā€¦ and then Iā€™ll start cannibalising it! Need to apply the Invisiframe before anything else, but I guess I need my dropper fitted to the new frame so I can put it in my workstand!

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
Do you not just slide the dropper cable in the correct hole at the front and it appears inside the seat tube? Thatā€™s how it came out when I pulled my old one out!
No, although itā€™s tube in tube routing from the back of the bike forwards, once the cables clear the battery coming up the down tube they all exit out of one oval tube/shroud.

I didnā€™t spend too much time looking at it as I have an AXS post but it looks like you make have to drop the motor to route a dropper cableā€¦ might be worth asking the shop to help with that as well although I donā€™t think it would be too much of a chore to drop the motor before youā€™ve mounted the chainring etc šŸ‘šŸ»

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
No, although itā€™s tube in tube routing from the back of the bike forwards, once the cables clear the battery coming up the down tube they all exit out of one oval tube/shroud.

I didnā€™t spend too much time looking at it as I have an AXS post but it looks like you make have to drop the motor to route a dropper cableā€¦ might be worth asking the shop to help with that as well although I donā€™t think it would be too much of a chore to drop the motor before youā€™ve mounted the chainring etc šŸ‘šŸ»
Iā€™ve got an AXS dropper, so no worry for me. When I pulled out the stock Manic dropper on my original SL, I thought it had been routed to the seat post.

If the bike comes with the chainring detached, did you have to fit the cranks too?

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Arrived fast
IMG_5605.jpeg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Can anyone who has ridden both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Mahle motor tell if there is a difference in power as the two Gen 2 bikes I have ridden have no perceptible difference over my KSL. If anything my KSL is more punchy down low.
I have now been told by two shops that they found the same thing.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can anyone who has ridden both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Mahle motor tell if there is a difference in power as the two Gen 2 bikes I have ridden have no perceptible difference over my KSL. If anything my KSL is more punchy down low.
I have now been told by two shops that they found the same thing.
Same.

This is another reason for creating the Firmware/Hardware thread, but there were no Gen2 replies.

Can people check their current/watts too so this isn't just about "feeling" there's some fact to it. Not seeing more than 6 amps, which is the same as the Gen1 ~50v*6Amps = 300w draw/ ~240w at the motor.

I'm wondering if some bikes haven't been flashed with the latest (320w) firmware or if something in Mission Control is out of alignment so setting 100% isn't really setting 100%. If the app converts % to watts and doesn't realise more watts are available, it might be setting the same max power as the Gen1 (grasping at straws).

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
The Plot thickens :- D I don't doubt the new engine is solid improvement, but well measured blind comparison might perhaps even find a lot of what people feel to be placebo.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
The ones I rode felt no different to my KSL, apart from maybe a different tune. Possibly a more consistent/ smoother power delivery where as the Kenevo punches harder and then dies off ever so slightly. Definitely a lot quieter as I rode them side by side.
Logging the amps and volts the KSL produces 1/2 more volts but 1 amp less than thegen 2.
Definitely not 30% more power or 44% more torque. I rode the KSL and Gen 2 Levo back to back and both myself and my brother had the same result. In a uphill ā€œdrag raceā€ no difference, both bikes kept level and we swapped bikes for the same test to make sure it wasnā€™t us. We are both almost identical in weight and fitness.
Really disappointed as I was hoping for a noticable improvement.
I love my KSL but now that all my mates have FFs I am forced to work a lot harder and was hoping this new motor would bridge the gap a little.
I must say though the bike rides amazing. Itā€™s essentially a mini KSL but with more agility.
The perfect all rounder!

c0stunga

Apr 12, 2023
Germany
If I remember correctly, some tests showed that the old Mahle had 42nm instead of 35. And other tested motors had a bit less torque than advertised. My dealer who already rode the new bike also told me that he felt maybe 10% more power.
The real improvement won't be as big as you would assume just by the numbers.

Edit: I may be wrong. Only labor test I could find right now did say 36nm.
Would be nice to see a diagram of both motors.

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
IMG_3992.jpeg

Got this home a minute ago - but as itā€™s my wifeā€™s 40th today, itā€™ll be staying in the box until tomorrow morning!

How selfish having a birthday the day my bike turns up - even though itā€™s a week earlier than expected!

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
70550545748__AA5CF0D8-7D6F-4557-9E4E-469E60D80ECF.jpeg

Got the bike today (S5) delivered at my LBS ! šŸ˜šŸ„°
I did basic setup, cockpit adjustments, saddleā€¦
But it is annoying that the bike is not yet in the suspension calculatorā€¦so here is my suspension setup for now. (I am 6ā€™3, 91kg)
Fork : 92 psi, LSR 4 HSR 3, compression middle setting.
Shock : 222psi LSR 5, compression middle setting

First run in the forest tomorrow ! Canā€™t wait !

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
My local dealer phoned Specialized UK today to check on availability of frame only option, they were told that this years allocation is sold so expect deliver in 24! Feels like we are back in COVID times...
Not tempted to get a complete? Should be easy enough to sell the parts for enough to cover the range extender?

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
View attachment 114422
Got the bike today (S5) delivered at my LBS ! šŸ˜šŸ„°
I did basic setup, cockpit adjustments, saddleā€¦
But it is annoying that the bike is not yet in the suspension calculatorā€¦so here is my suspension setup for now. (I am 6ā€™3, 91kg)
Fork : 92 psi, LSR 4 HSR 3, compression middle setting.
Shock : 222psi LSR 5, compression middle setting

First run in the forest tomorrow ! Canā€™t wait !
Stunning. Be great to hear your post ride review tomorrow. Also what you were riding before as a comparison.
Iā€™m still deciding whether to swap from my Gen 1 SW SL to a Gen 2 SW SL. I like the black stealth look but so I really like the white version. I will have to see whatā€™s available(Not much at the moment)

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
The ones I rode felt no different to my KSL, apart from maybe a different tune. Possibly a more consistent/ smoother power delivery where as the Kenevo punches harder and then dies off ever so slightly. Definitely a lot quieter as I rode them side by side.
Logging the amps and volts the KSL produces 1/2 more volts but 1 amp less than thegen 2.
Definitely not 30% more power or 44% more torque. I rode the KSL and Gen 2 Levo back to back and both myself and my brother had the same result. In a uphill ā€œdrag raceā€ no difference, both bikes kept level and we swapped bikes for the same test to make sure it wasnā€™t us. We are both almost identical in weight and fitness.
Really disappointed as I was hoping for a noticable improvement.
I love my KSL but now that all my mates have FFs I am forced to work a lot harder and was hoping this new motor would bridge the gap a little.
I must say though the bike rides amazing. Itā€™s essentially a mini KSL but with more agility.
The perfect all rounder!
Interesting re the power.
Iā€™ve just watched the MTBR comparison of the Trek 50NM motor bike v the SL. The SL came out as faster and more powerful. Francois used his usual data behind the results.
He said the motor is much quieter than the gen 1 which seems to be a consistent view, although the Trek is almost silent(although I have heard it gets louder after not too long)
Iā€™m really tempted by the Gen 2. Sounds a great bike. I actually find the Gen 1 powerful enough for me. I run it at 35/100 in Trail as it rewards me with what I put in.
Even if it is only 10% more powerful that wouldnā€™t be a great issue.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
Stunning. Be great to hear your post ride review tomorrow. Also what you were riding before as a comparison.
Iā€™m still deciding whether to swap from my Gen 1 SW SL to a Gen 2 SW SL. I like the black stealth look but so I really like the white version. I will have to see whatā€™s available(Not much at the moment)

Yes I will share feedbacks tomorrow after the ride !
I am riding most of the time an Epic Evo and I also had a Levo SL gen 1.
Regarding the color I was tempted by the white one, but it was not available so I went black šŸ˜ my gen 1 SL was also black with the gold/copper logosā€¦

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Yes I will share feedbacks tomorrow after the ride !
I am riding most of the time an Epic Evo and I also had a Levo SL gen 1.
Regarding the color I was tempted by the white one, but it was not available so I went black šŸ˜ my gen 1 SL was also black with the gold/copper logosā€¦
Snap. I currently have a 21 SW Epic Evo(great bike)and the same SL that you had. The black with bronze foil decals is a head turner.
It sounds like youā€™re the perfect reviewer for me!!!šŸ˜‚ I look forward to your ride report.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
Snap. I currently have a 21 SW Epic Evo(great bike)and the same SL that you had. The black with bronze foil decals is a head turner.
It sounds like youā€™re the perfect reviewer for me!!!šŸ˜‚ I look forward to your ride report.
Sure ! You are a man of great taste šŸ˜‹ and true the epic evo is a fantastic bike, really love it !

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
The new SL looks great. If I got one, I would change out the rear wheel but many will prefer the mullet setup. I like that it is quieter. I hear the Trek is quieter but Ild like to test both. For now, my old SL works well enough and since is not my primary bike (and I have 8 bikes, of which 3 are e-bikes) I will resist temptation.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Got a bit of an issue with mine, in the attached photo the right hand fork stantion is a really light gold colour and the left one a dark gold it looks really bad, much worse than it looks in the photo. I have asked for a replacement bike, as the fix I was given was to remove the forks and send to Fox for assessment..

IMG_0255.jpeg

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Got a bit of an issue with mine, in the attached photo the right hand fork stantion is a really light gold colour and the left one a dark gold it looks really bad, much worse than it looks in the photo. I have asked for a replacement bike, as the fix I was given was to remove the forks and send to Fox for assessment..

View attachment 114465
Foxā€™s QC is terrible and itā€™s gotten worse over the last 2-3 years.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles