Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Weird question - can anyone who already has it measure the *height* of the reservoir decal on the Float X? I want to order decals (I hate this orange FOX logo) ahead of time from slik - is the reservoir decal 28.5mm or 34.5mm? Preferably on the S4 size. Thank youuu
Size S4… but I doubt the shock changes size. I think 34.5 is just about right!
IMG_4023.jpeg

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I had similar initial range results. I did short ride today, primary battery only. I weigh about 180# w/kit and pack. I rode in the factory setting /trail mode over a mix of gravel, old tarmac and technical singletrack with several punchy , short switchback climbs. I rode 1 hr. , 10.5 mi. with 788 feet of elevation gain, at 157% average support. Battery was at 53% at the finish.
Extrapolating, it would appear by my fuzzy math that in trail mode only, the battery would be drained to zero after
about 2 hrs, 22 miles and 1675 of elevation gain (assuming no drop off in available support or performance at the end of the battery cycle and that the bike will still actually run down to zero battery percentage). Next, I intend ride the same circuit using the mission control app feature Smart Control.
Has anyone else experimented with Smart Control? Has anyone actually run their battery to zero? I am curious if this is possible of if the bike cuts off with some level of reserve (I seem to remember the Old Levo SL stopping at around 3% remaining?).
i got mine down to 9% last ride and the percentage change to orange. I got my settings quite low but didnt seem to notice any drop off.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
Question to any S-Works owners, does the Fox 36 have a regular or e-bike chassis? Maybe you could share the output from the Fox website if you enter the serial number of your fork?

Part number: 910-26-053
Description: 2022, 36, K, FLOAT, 29in, F-S, 160, Grip 2, HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR, Matte Blk, Orange/Matte Blk Logo, Kabolt-X 110, BLK, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, N/M OE

It does not seem to be e-bike specific

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Part number: 910-26-053
Description: 2022, 36, K, FLOAT, 29in, F-S, 160, Grip 2, HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR, Matte Blk, Orange/Matte Blk Logo, Kabolt-X 110, BLK, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, N/M OE

It does not seem to be e-bike specific
Thanks for sharing, surprised to see a MY22 version on a brand new bike!

h3ld

Aug 30, 2020
Heidelberg
Rode a comp Gen 1 and 2 back to back to experience the difference in sound/noise. It was urban, uphill but not steep. All in Trail mode. Gear 2 at the start, then shifting to gear 1 around 0:29 and increasing cadence, turn and shifting to gear 3 at 0:40, increasing cadence at 0:56.
Recorded with an iPhone in me hand above the stem.

Attachments

• Levo SL Noise comparison.zip
    977 KB · Views: 209

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Rode a comp Gen 1 and 2 back to back to experience the difference in sound/noise. It was urban, uphill but not steep. All in Trail mode. Gear 2 at the start, then shifting to gear 1 around 0:29 and increasing cadence, turn and shifting to gear 3 at 0:40, increasing cadence at 0:56.
That sounds like a big difference.
My Gen 1 doesn’t seem to sound that loud but I guess that the phone picks up the sound easily/and is also by the stem.
I imagine that they both sound a bit quieter when riding. Good to hear the difference, thanks.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
SL2 is quieter and lower pitch so less noticeable. Thanks 🙏

David86

Sep 14, 2021
USA
I got out today and went back and forth between 27.5 and 29 rear wheel.

The 29 rear is the way to go. It almost seems like this bike was designed around 29 wheels and shipped with a 27.5 rear just to unload inventory.

The 29 rolled better/smoother with the bike being poppier and having nice turn in. I was surprised the stock flipchip settings worked better with the 29 rear rather than the 27.5

Anyone that has a 29 rear sitting around should at least try it.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania

The 29 rear is the way to go. It almost seems like this bike was designed around 29 wheels and shipped with a 27.5 rear just to unload inventory.

The 29 rolled better/smoother with the bike being poppier and having nice turn in. I was surprised the stock flipchip settings worked better with the 29 rear rather than the 27.5

I suppose it's personal preference. Some will argue that the 27.5 wheel will accelerate faster, turn in easier and be less likely to buzz you butt. At least with the 29er rear you can burn out your old worn front tyres on the rear! ;)

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey

You may like it better in a 29, I may too.
I’d highly doubt that they would design a bike that most testers appear to like as a mullet and ship that way just to move inventory. I don’t imagine that their design team would accept that.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
I personally think mullet vs 29, particularly on this bike, is size specific. I can see the advantage of a mullet up to S4 if you are <6’ but without size specific chainstays, S5 and S6 for >6’ riders are a no brainer for 29/29.

For me, At 6’2” on an S5 I’m more than happy with 29/29, the bike is still super lively.

Additional plus points, it looks better (subjective I know) and pushes up the assist cut out a wee bit!

IMG_2638.jpeg

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I personally think mullet vs 29, particularly on this bike, is size specific. I can see the advantage of a mullet up to S4 if you are <6’ but without size specific chainstays, S5 and S6 for >6’ riders are a no brainer for 29/29.

For me, At 6’2” on an S5 I’m more than happy with 29/29, the bike is still super lively.

Additional plus points, it looks better (subjective I know) and pushes up the assist cut out a wee bit!

View attachment 114732
Looks great. Not many SW hit the UK yet and don’t think that huge amounts will come in.

Reactions: RAG

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
True, I don’t know if there is much differences with MY23 ?
MY23 received an update in the form of a new crown with updated design and engineering for more steer tube overlap, improving durability and maintaining stiffness while dropping 20 grams.

I believe the change was introduced to help eliminate the dreaded csu creak.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Has anyone had any thoughts on changing out the rear shock yet?

I have a Super Deluxe Ultimate (with Megneg) that was tuned for me by J-Tech that I've just taken off my 2019 bike, and am tempted to put it on. I'm putting a Lyric on the front, and have never been a fan of the gold Kashima Fox stuff.
Perhaps I'm best trying both and see what I prefer... but an 'unused' Fox Float X Factory is probably worth more second hand than a used one!

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK

View attachment 114732
6,2 on a s4 i also have a levo in s5 prefer the playfulness of a shorter bike and that smaller rear wheel makes the bike a hoot to ride! got my enduro full 29/29 but my LSL is more aimed at playful trail bike

Reactions: RAG

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
6,2 on a s4 i also have a levo in s5 prefer the playfulness of a shorter bike and that smaller rear wheel makes the bike a hoot to ride! got my enduro full 29/29 but my LSL is more aimed at playful trail bike
I was in a bit of a panic reading all the 6ft + guys saying they have S5's with 29" rears.

I'm just under 6ft 2" tall, and have been riding an XL Levo SL for the past 3 years. My old bike is a Large Stumpy... which I still ride from time to time.
I read the size charts 3 years ago, and thought the XL Levo SL was better for me... and have been suffering for it every time I rode it. It's just too big, and I've always wished I went for L rather than XL.
I still like riding it, but I feel it's a bit boat like and not as manoeuvrable as I'd like.

When I ordered the '23 frame, I went for the S4... as riding my Stumpy in L feels so much better (to me) than riding my SL. I't chalk and cheese.

Glad to read someone else that's 6ft 2" has an S4 and loves it... as I was starting to think I'd made a mistake going with the S4!

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I was in a bit of a panic reading all the 6ft + guys saying they have S5's with 29" rears.

I'm just under 6ft 2" tall, and have been riding an XL Levo SL for the past 3 years. My old bike is a Large Stumpy... which I still ride from time to time.
I read the size charts 3 years ago, and thought the XL Levo SL was better for me... and have been suffering for it every time I rode it. It's just too big, and I've always wished I went for L rather than XL.
I still like riding it, but I feel it's a bit boat like and not as manoeuvrable as I'd like.

When I ordered the '23 frame, I went for the S4... as riding my Stumpy in L feels so much better (to me) than riding my SL. I't chalk and cheese.

Glad to read someone else that's 6ft 2" has an S4 and loves it... as I was starting to think I'd made a mistake going with the S4!

Yeah bud! its personal but i've always sized down except my levo FF which i got at a insane price in S5, currently run that with a 35mm stem and in the steep position but would prefer it in S4. Both my SL and my normal bike are S4, and my previous gen 1 levo sl was Large!

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

Nothing wrong with veering from the suggested size. People act like it's SOO much but in reality, the size difference is usually just 25mm of Reach between sizes. It's 1 stinking inch. For most people, when standing, shifting the hands 1" for or aft isn't a huge deal and I think the size preference has lots to do with arm length, flexibility and even leg length which effects seat height and therefore seated distance to the bars.

I've accepted that I like my bikes too large for most, yet it's what feels completely comfortable and natural to me.

Regarding your wheel size preferences, most find that trail bikes are generally better as full 29ers due to the roll over advantages, whereas the advantages of mullet configurations are mostly realized on aggressive more DH prioritized bikes. Mullets aren't really about being playful as much as they are about being good at slapping berms, manualing, jumping, and the steep downhills.

Your experience may vary.

David86

Sep 14, 2021
USA
You may like it better in a 29, I may too.
I’d highly doubt that they would design a bike that most testers appear to like as a mullet and ship that way just to move inventory. I don’t imagine that their design team would accept that.

The bike feels flatter suspension wise front to back with a 29 rear in a size S3. With the 27.5 rear it felt chopped out and too low in the back.

Kind of like throwing a smaller rear wheel/tire setup on a dirt bike and not lowering the front forks in the triple clamps to balance the bike back out. That's kind of hard to replicate, even with the flip chips.

I have 2 other mullet bikes that work well, that's why I was caught off guard that wasn't the case with the Levo SL. I figured I'd have to make more changes to run the 29r rear.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
What would be the additional cost if you want for example the sl pro standard with full 29 instead of mullet?Does anyone already ordered in this way …

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
What would be the additional cost if you want for example the sl pro standard with full 29 instead of mullet?Does anyone already ordered in this way …
Not an option. You’ll just have to buy the 29er wheel separately.
If I get one I’ll start as the mullet and see how I feel. I think I’ll like it that way but not certain. I’ve ridden full 29er since 2011.
Rear wheel rollover may not be so important on an E-bike when climbing. The agility may assist when descending. I’m hoping that the bike will be more agile and moveable in the mullet. I have found the extra weight, even in an SL makes the bike very different to a full 29 analogue when descending(less agile)

I know that the mullet FF has been very well received by friends who own one.
Great that there are two options though. Would have been good to have been able to choose or an extra wheel with the right decals.

Mtb247

Apr 12, 2020
I am currently waiting on a S-Works 23 Levo SL. They are saying that the bike is being held-up for re-tooling? Does anybody have any more info?

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Went to the LBS and they had a few 23 SL. Very clean looking.

Also a Pivot Shuttle which I took for a spin. Amazingly nibble compared to my Levo Comp Alloy. 14lbs lighter will do that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles