Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I went down at the bike park on the SL on Friday. As soon as I get the 30 stitches out of my arm I’m going to start the process of converting mine to a 29er just to try it out. In fact, I’m going to try to knock a couple more pounds off the bike. I think the wheels themselves are good for a a pound. The carbon set I bought weighs 1450 grams. I’m also going to add, XT 2 pot brakes, carbon bars, AXS, and a 30.9 fox dropper. That should get me really close.

• Wow
Reactions: RAG

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I personally think mullet vs 29, particularly on this bike, is size specific. I can see the advantage of a mullet up to S4 if you are <6’ but without size specific chainstays, S5 and S6 for >6’ riders are a no brainer for 29/29.

For me, At 6’2” on an S5 I’m more than happy with 29/29, the bike is still super lively.

Additional plus points, it looks better (subjective I know) and pushes up the assist cut out a wee bit!

View attachment 114732
I can’t tell from the pic, but is the stem black or silver?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
What would be the additional cost if you want for example the sl pro standard with full 29 instead of mullet?Does anyone already ordered in this way …
Additional DT Swiss wheel with DT Swiss 350 hub cost under 350 euros. Plus for easy replacement you need a new rotor for new wheel.
The same cassette can be used because it can be easily pulled out without tools.

Note: That price is for aluminium rim, I don't know the price for a similar carbon rim.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I went down at the bike park on the SL on Friday. As soon as I get the 30 stitches out of my arm I’m going to start the process of converting mine to a 29er just to try it out. In fact, I’m going to try to knock a couple more pounds off the bike. I think the wheels themselves are good for a a pound. The carbon set I bought weighs 1450 grams. I’m also going to add, XT 2 pot brakes, carbon bars, AXS, and a 30.9 fox dropper. That should get me really close.
I'm after a new set of lightweight wheels - what did you get for 1450g?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
It's surprising to me that Spesh installs 2.3 tires on 30mm ID wheels on the factory build.

Also just realized that once you go to wider tires, or especially a 29er rear, you're going to pick up a higher speed before the assistance cuts out.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
The big advantage of the SL is not hitting a brick wall when you hit the assistance limit. I had a 2020 FF Levo and it was not a pleasant experience when you hit the limit on that. Great bike but one do the reasons that I got rid of it.
29er’s do gather speed though!!

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
The big advantage of the SL is not hitting a brick wall when you hit the assistance limit. I had a 2020 FF Levo and it was not a pleasant experience when you hit the limit on that. Great bike but one do the reasons that I got rid of it.
29er’s do gather speed though!!
That's one thing I like about my SL over most the FF bikes I've ridden. It doesn't feel like your brakes are dragging when the power cuts out.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
It's surprising to me that Spesh installs 2.3 tires on 30mm ID wheels on the factory build.

Also just realized that once you go to wider tires, or especially a 29er rear, you're going to pick up a higher speed before the assistance cuts out.
Butcher 2.3 (current gen) is same thread width as any 2.4/2.5 tyre on market.
Visually, it looks the same as my Assegai 2.5, and slightly narrower than my Kryptotal KR-F 2.4.
Similarly, Butcher 2.6 has same tread width as 2.3 version (maybe san 1mm at best), but much higher volume and sidewall width.
Also, I never corrected my bike after swapping to 27.5, so my Kenevo SL cut-off at around 22 KM/h, but because the cutoff is very smooth, it's tapering long before that. It's been year, and I still don't care.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I know that people have mixed opinions about delimiting their bikes but I do like to use either a planet3 or Speedi. Honestly, I like the Speedi better. The effect of the delimiter is very subtle and you don’t actually use it nearly as much as you’d think that you would but it does give you a few extra miles an hour on the average modest downhill. We have long sweeping trails where I ride most of the time and the delimiter helps boost my average speed a little. We also have a couple of mega downhills where the delimiter only helps accelerate me but I surpass the Speedi’s 30mph limit anyway. To really pedal your EMTB to much past 20, even delimited, is a lot of work. After thinking about it I cannot remember a time where I was in a full sprint on a mountain bike like I have been on my road bike. What I’m getting to, the point that I’m trying to make, is that delimiting your EMTB does a lot less than most people think. It’s not a night and day difference. If you are timing yourself on runs the actual difference is negligible. I ride the same trails a lot and any gains that I make are from me riding better as opposed to any extra speed that I may have gained from “cheating”.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I know that people have mixed opinions about delimiting their bikes but I do like to use either a planet3 or Speedi. Honestly, I like the Speedi better. The effect of the delimiter is very subtle and you don’t actually use it nearly as much as you’d think that you would but it does give you a few extra miles an hour on the average modest downhill. We have long sweeping trails where I ride most of the time and the delimiter helps boost my average speed a little. We also have a couple of mega downhills where the delimiter only helps accelerate me but I surpass the Speedi’s 30mph limit anyway. To really pedal your EMTB to much past 20, even delimited, is a lot of work. After thinking about it I cannot remember a time where I was in a full sprint on a mountain bike like I have been on my road bike. What I’m getting to, the point that I’m trying to make, is that delimiting your EMTB does a lot less than most people think. It’s not a night and day difference. If you are timing yourself on runs the actual difference is negligible. I ride the same trails a lot and any gains that I make are from me riding better as opposed to any extra speed that I may have gained from “cheating”.
Coming from a Rise and now a Levo, I have yet to ever feel it kick in or ever feel like I need it.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I’ve now decided to go ahead and pre order the S-Works version, in the White Mountains/Silver colour.
The online reviews have been really positive, as have the rider reviews on here.
Delivery dates are unclear so I’m not sure when I’ll manage to get one!!
Exciting times though!!

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
BTW the new SL range is basically identical to the previous except in turbo when the range is less because of the more powerful motor since the battery is the same.

I guess that will all depend on your settings. If you used trail on the old SL at 35/60 and use the same on the Gen 2 you will also use more battery even if the motor is 10% more efficient.
It doesn’t bother me though as I’ve never emptied a battery on one ride and I highly doubt I will on the new one.
I usually stick to Trail at 35/80 or sometimes 35/100.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I guess that will all depend on your settings. If you used trail on the old SL at 35/60 and use the same on the Gen 2 you will also use more battery even if the motor is 10% more efficient.
It doesn’t bother me though as I’ve never emptied a battery on one ride and I highly doubt I will on the new one.
I usually stick to Trail at 35/80 or sometimes 35/100.
I’m usually Trail at 30/80… so I wonder if I should be riding the new one at 25/80 or even 20/80 to make it the same.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
You need to buy the the XX/X0 Eagle AXS E-Bike Transmission Groupset with 104BCD chainring. This kit does not include the cranks. The kit will include the correct chainring but it will be 36T. I would imagine the chainring included with the frame will be the correct t-type 104BCD version (this chainring is also backwards compatible with older Eagle).

X0- Groupset - X0 T-Type Eagle E-Mtb 104Bcd Transmission Axs Groupset (Rd W/Battery/Charger/Cord, Ec Pod Ult, Cr 104Bcd T-Type 36T,Clip-On Guard, Cn 126L, Cs Xs-1295 10-52T) – Cranks Not Included

XX - Groupset - Xx T-Type Eagle E-Mtb 104Bcd Transmission Axs Groupset (Rd W/Battery/Charger/Cord, Ec Pod Ult, Cr 104Bcd T-Type 36T,Clip-On Guard, Cn 126L, Cs Xs-1297 10-52T) – Cranks Not Included

I don't believe the SRAM cranks are available for sale yet, maybe they will become available when SRAM launch their new motor. It looks like the SRAM model number is FC-S996 and they will be available in 165/170/175.
I can’t seem to find a package like this for the XX SL group set that doesn’t come without cranks. Most sets have power meter cranks and are about £2400.

It would also appear that the XX sets are sold out, with a mid June delivery.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
I can’t seem to find a package like this for the XX SL group set that doesn’t come without cranks. Most sets have power meter cranks and are about £2400.

It would also appear that the XX sets are sold out, with a mid June delivery.
Are you going to go for XX SL, this is apparently the only one not approved for e-bikes?

I think I’ll be going for XX cassette, chain and Derailleur but use my existing AXS controller…. I think I prefer the aesthetic of the old one…. Looks a bit tidier on the bars.

My only concern is that once supply picks up in the coming months we might see some useful discounts on this stuff…. Am I being hopelessly optimistic? 😂

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Are you going to go for XX SL, this is apparently the only one not approved for e-bikes?

I think I’ll be going for XX cassette, chain and Derailleur but use my existing AXS controller…. I think I prefer the aesthetic of the old one…. Looks a bit tidier on the bars.

My only concern is that once supply picks up in the coming months we might see some useful discounts on this stuff…. Am I being hopelessly optimistic? 😂
I was just wondering what the cost of the XX SL was more than anything.

I’m finding it difficult to find the group set without cranks anywhere to get a decent price comparison.
I prefer the original controller too… but I’ll try the new one and see.

I thought that about the ‘new’ rocker switch for the existing AXS when it came out. I sent my controller away for a warranty repair (it was completely dead!) and they sent it back with the new rocker. After a few rides I decided I really liked it, and swapped my other bike to that too.

Not convinced the T-type will see big discounts any time soon tbh.

Reactions: RAG

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
I was just wondering what the cost of the XX SL was more than anything.

I’m finding it difficult to find the group set without cranks anywhere to get a decent price comparison.
I prefer the original controller too… but I’ll try the new one and see.

I thought that about the ‘new’ rocker switch for the existing AXS when it came out. I sent my controller away for a warranty repair (it was completely dead!) and they sent it back with the new rocker. After a few rides I decided I really liked it, and swapped my other bike to that too.

Not convinced the T-type will see big discounts any time soon tbh.
I fear you’re probably right about the discounts… wishful thinking!

It just irks me that they are selling a derailleur for £695 that doesn’t even include a battery… the price of early adoption I guess!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
XO mech and cassette are identical to XX apart from the colour, available as a kit at slight discount here:

EDIT- Bosch version. Sell them crank arms and chainring? use existing. Or buy Mahle when they’re available.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles