Levo Gen 3 Levo Motor lurching (overrun) and cutting out

Rocketship

May 23, 2023
UK
Had my bike for 3 months and it’s been riding so well. Power delivery in all modes very smooth and matching rider input. Just so good!!

This evenings ride was a completely different story. The motor kept feeling like it was randomly cutting out. Then on other occasions it would surge in power like it was taking me for a ride with hardly any input.

I switched it off and on, disconnected and reconnected the battery and checked the settings in the app. I also wiped the wheel sensor. Everything seems fine - I am lost as to what is causing this problem?
I did see some other threads about this with similar issues but could not see any solution.

Anyone had this and know how to fix it?

Rocketship

May 23, 2023
UK
In short probably a new motor.
Oh no really? Seems so strange that it was fine on the last ride and then it does this. Do they suddenly fail in this way? I literally noticed it as soon as I got on the bike.
Funnily enough, my friend also has the same bike and his has being doing a similar thing for a few weeks, but not as severe.

Rocketship

May 23, 2023
UK
I’ve been thinking about how my motor is behaving a bit more.
I would describe is like the motor is randomly cutting out and it also has uncontrolled overrun. It’s like the torque sensor has failed and you feel this uncontrolled, random power surge. If it were a car it would be as if the accelerator had got stuck down full throttle, yet I had barely touched it.

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Just mention the over run to the shop and its erratic behaviour. They'll replace the motor. Not sure how common the issue is but it's not an uncommon issue getting a motor replaced on these.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Mines probably not like yours but I had acceleration set to 40%. Intermittently I would get surges without pedalling and at other times it felt like assistance wasn't even there. It was totally random when it happened and at different cadences. I changed acceleration to 100% and haven't had it happen once.

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
Specialized said for me to turn down my shuttle and my turbo. Thought that was ridiculous but did it anyway. And of course it did not help. At times I could get on and do one pedal and it would take off like a motorcycle up to 20mph without me pedaling. Super dangerous

Rocketship

May 23, 2023
UK
Mines probably not like yours but I had acceleration set to 40%. Intermittently I would get surges without pedalling and at other times it felt like assistance wasn't even there. It was totally random when it happened and at different cadences. I changed acceleration to 100% and haven't had it happen once.
That is what it is doing. Acceleration set to 20%. But my motor has been cutting out completely as well.

Rocketship

May 23, 2023
UK
Specialized said for me to turn down my shuttle and my turbo. Thought that was ridiculous but did it anyway. And of course it did not help. At times I could get on and do one pedal and it would take off like a motorcycle up to 20mph without me pedaling. Super dangerous
That’s what it’s doing.

Leeky1

Jan 29, 2023
Shropshire
I have same issue for the last 2 months. I have been living with it but last few weeks has been driving me insane. Bike went in to shop this morning. Had a call 2 hours later to say torque sensor is knackered and needs a new motor. Just under 1000 miles / 6 months old. Hope this helps

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Yeah mine has started doing this. Assistance varies and has a second of high power overrun when stopping pedalling. This is quite annoying pedalling into a jump as the back wheel spins up madly in the air then lands harshly.
It's done 3+ years and being a 2020 that had the extended warranty to 4 years, I can't complain. Will run it into Berkshire bikes over the next few weeks.

Rocketship

May 23, 2023
UK
Good into thanks!

Bike is in the shop having a software update and the TCU has been found faulty - it won’t take the update. New one has been sent by spec.
I don’t think that was causing the fault, but have to eliminate that first:
It does seem like the sensor/motor might be on the way out.

Leeky1

Jan 29, 2023
Shropshire
Good into thanks!

Bike is in the shop having a software update and the TCU has been found faulty - it won’t take the update. New one has been sent by spec.
It does seem like the sensor/motor might be on the way ou
Good into thanks!

It does seem like the sensor/motor might be on the way out.
Sounds identical to mine apart from TCU issue. Shop updated my software but was still no better. I lived with it for a couple of months but had enough now. Definitely sounds like torque issue. Sure you will end up having a new motor. Can’t fault the warranty with Specialized just gutted I got to wait 2 weeks 🤣

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles