Levo Gen 3 Levo G2 vs G3 motor

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Had my first ride on my Levo Expert 2022 today. Coming from a Levo Comp 2020.

The motor on the 2022 definitely felt less powerful. Both bikes have latest firmware. Tried changing the settings in Mission Control but could not get it as powerful as my 2020.

What does others feel regarding motor power on G2 vs G3?

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
it is not only that it smooths out the power for me. Rodewith a friend that has Bosch G4. With my Levo G2 he has a hard time to keep up with me. Now with my Levo G3 I can not keep up with him. It is a very big difference. Can not understand why since it is basically the same motor and both have latest firmware. Really dissapointed 😕.

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
After a lot of reading it seems that some have the same issue that I have with low power compared to previous generation and some do have the same power. Really strange.
A E-bike motor repair shop suggested that reloading the firmware manually (must be done in shop) should solve it. Problem that I bought it second hand so shop probably not that interested in helping out. Anyone else have experience with if reloading firmware will help?

emtber

Oct 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I bought the same bike, brand new, last Oct, and have noticed power drops on 3 different occasions. But this is my first ebike, so I can't compare to the G2 motor. From the first ride, I marveled at the climbing power and natural feeling. I am 69 yr old and 160 lbs, but this bike easily went up moderate smooth trails at 15 mph. I was both impressed and delighted. Then I lowered the tire press from 26 to 22, for more traction, and the delight went away. What I got was a smoother ride, more traction and bike control, but the bike was also less responsive and almost sluggish. Not bad, just not what it was. Also, the battery started to drain a bit faster. At first I thought I was having motor/software problems, but I added air and the performance returned. It was only 4 lbs less psi, but the softer tires were obviously harder for the motor to push and took more juice. The motor seemed less powerful, but obviously it wasn't. It was the load I put on it. 22-26 is the pressure suggested on the Specialized site Suspension Calculator. I didn't anticipate such a noticeable difference within their recommended press range, but there was, so maybe you just need more air pressure to feel the power you were expecting. To get the thrill back with less air, I adjusted the motor settings. At first I made the motor jump too quickly and strongly, but it didn't take much fiddling to get the responsiveness I was looking for. So my delight has returned, but it took a bit more battery juice to do it.
Another thing is, the TCU2 will always restart with the same motor setting as when it was turned off, so if you haven't played with the settings, the motor is running on the previous owner's settings. He may have adjusted the factory setup and preferred to use lower power/response settings for more range or workout, or whatever. So, if you haven't already, take a look at what motor setting are being used in Mission Control. There is a stock setup to switch to, and you can set and save personalized setups. If none of that helps, perhaps a factory reset of the TCU will do it. See page 18 in the Levo manual.
One morning, at the beginning of a ride, the bike seemed to have lost power overnight, without any changes. I thought maybe I had lost tire pressure or the motor settings had defaulted back to factory, which they shouldn't. After riding for about 20 min, just for the heck of it, I turned the system off. When I restarted it, the power was back up to normal. Don't know what happened and it occurred only once. Hopefully never again. Perhaps your motor software got stuck in a low setting. Hopefully a factory reset would correct that as well.
Another possibility is the tires. Some riders like super grippy rubber front and back. If the Butcher and/or Eliminator were changed to really soft rubber like an Assagai, and/or heavier DD or DH casings, the bike will be slower. I think the stock tires weigh less than 1000g each. Stickier more durable tires might weigh 13-1500g, which is a lot more rotational weight for you and the motor to move, making the motor seem less powerful. Also, your previous bike may have had lighter and faster rolling tires, making it easier to move that the Butcher and Eliminator. So, all in all, your G3 motor could be the same as G2, but you're asking it to do more. Good luck!

Hill Killer

Jul 19, 2020
Surrey
question is it due to the mullet setup or firmware tune to help motor life

I'm thinking a firmware update to gain motor life has occurred.
When I tried the 2022 Levo It didn't pull like the 2020 bike.
The overall power was there but the assistance level seemed lower.
Can the TCU be swapped between bikes?
The firmware update is in the motor driver pcb located In the motor itself?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This has come up a few times. Sometimes there are some physical abnormalities with some motors. Invariably it's down to the way acceleration response was re-mapped with one of the firmware updates some time ago. ie- 40% then is not the same as 40% now. Often just increasing this will give the performance back.

Voltage compensation was also added at the same time, so there is a tiny loss of overall power at peak charge - though you still pull 720w+ , but don't suffer the power loss which was present at lower charge/voltage that used to exist as it allows a higher amperage to maintain consistant performance through out the ride.

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Update: on a Facebook group I got info from EBike repair shop that manually reloading the firmware (can only be done in shop) should solve it. I have not been able to do it yet but another person with same problem did it and it was successful, now his G3 is as powerful as his G2.

Hill Killer

Jul 19, 2020
Surrey
Update: on a Facebook group I got info from EBike repair shop that manually reloading the firmware (can only be done in shop) should solve it. I have not been able to do it yet but another person with same problem did it and it was successful, now his G3 is as powerful as his G2.
This is the motor firmware?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles