Levo FS in UK winters?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All the same types of pivt/bearing seals are used as any other mtb....none of which will withstand a pressure washer but can deal with rain and muddy conditions. One thing I would not do on any e bike is run it through water deeper than the bottom of the motor housing.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
One thing I would not do on any e bike is run it through water deeper than the bottom of the motor housing.
Ideally on an e-bike you're going fast enough that you skim over the top of the water :) Alternatively, ride in a Zorb all winter.

But sound advice .. I was sinking in a bog a few days ago and managed to yank the bike free just before it went in too far.

@miPbiP from the developments on the 2020 levo thread it looks like the 2020 bikes will have cured some of the potential "mud" and such related issues which could occur under certain circumstances.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
All emtb's if ridden through a British winter will collect crap and crud in the motor casings, and other areas, so you need to stay on top of maintenance.

Bare in mind there are actually a very small percentage of members on here who have had an EMTB for much moire than a year, as it was really 2018 where the widespread availability of decent models became a reality, so long term reliability of many motors and bikes hasn't really been established.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I am hoping that all ebike manufacturers go down the IP67 route with their motors like the new Specialized road bike has done by using the new Mahle motor ;)

I have 2 Levo’s a 2017 and a 2019 and they have both had water ingress issues which could have been easily resolved at the design stage by making their motors IP67 instead of IP56. Even the TCU on the new Levo has water ingress issues.

Come on @Specialized Rider Care feed this back to your designers please? By making this change you will probably lower your customer returns by quite some number ;)

B812849F-605D-41FB-9417-D054F9BE08EF.jpeg

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
My 2018 Levo had 2 water ingress issues, the second leading to a new motor replaced under warranty. Both events within a few weeks of crossing the river at Gisburn, so I would agree to avoid submerging the engine. New engine is faultless but I wouldn't dunk it - learnt my lesson.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles