Levo SL Gen 1 Lego SL range problem?

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
Am having problems with new SL. Have a range extender and did a 20 mile ride and finished with 6 bars showing. Took it for a short spin later and with 6 bars it just cut out. Today I used the mission control app 20 miles with 600m elevation again it went from 6 bars and cut out. On both occasions when I put the charger in it showed 6 bars so why does it switch off? Would appreciate some suggestions as am loving the bike, but disappointed with the range.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I'm surprised you'd need a range extender on a short ride like that, haven't even charged mine yet. It would be worth trying the same ride with just the main battery to see if its the bike or extender that is the problem.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It sounds like either your main battery or the range extender isn't working correctly. Try it with one or the other and then try it the other way round and see what results you get.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
there is an option in mission control to run the range extender out first rather than run both batteries together, perhaps switching that might help

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
I'm surprised you'd need a range extender on a short ride like that, haven't even charged mine yet. It would be worth trying the same ride with just the main battery to see if its the bike or extender that is the problem.
Ok thank you I will. The range extender hasn’t been charging well it says it is charged with 2 bars (when it should be 3)

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve been riding in eco mainly with trail up the hills. What I find strange it that 6 blue bars are showing and then it suddenly turns off mid ride and stays off.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve been riding in eco mainly with trail up the hills. What I find strange it that 6 blue bars are showing and then it suddenly turns off mid ride and stays off.

that can't be right, ask the dealer to check.

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
No range extender today 24 miles 700m elevation (mostly eco and trail up the hills) and 7 bars remaining, that doesn’t seem right does it? Will have to try a longer ride and see if it switches off again on 5 bars.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
No range extender today 24 miles 700m elevation (mostly eco and trail up the hills) and 7 bars remaining, that doesn’t seem right does it? Will have to try a longer ride and see if it switches off again on 5 bars.
That seems pretty good to me.
24 miles and having about 70-79% left is good imho.

Reactions: Jax

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
Specialized are now replacing the range extender cable as they think the reason the bike dies even though 5 bars remaining is down to this.

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
Update. Specialized replaced range extender and when I was out today after 20 minutes the bike switched off. It wouldn’t switch on until I disconnected the range extender cable. Bike retailer has contacted Specialized again so watch this space....

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Update. Specialized replaced range extender and when I was out today after 20 minutes the bike switched off. It wouldn’t switch on until I disconnected the range extender cable. Bike retailer has contacted Specialized again so watch this space....

How does it work without extender?

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
Because I was just 20 minutes into the ride I assumed there was at least 90% of the main battery remaining.

Pennine

May 2, 2020
Yorkshire
I had a similar issue when I first tried the extender. However much pressure I applied to push in the cable plug I couldn't get the locking lever to go fully over to the right & lock. The cable seemed tight enough so I started the ride. Twice the plug worked itself loose & the motor stopped. Back home I tried umpteen times to get it to lock to no avail.
Asked mechanic at shop to have a look. He had bike on its side, rather than upright, and the lever easily went over (still need to push hard but the angle must help). I adopted this method & haven't had any problems since.
Might be worth a try if your locking lever is stiff.

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
Thanks for your suggestion I’ll try it tomorrow . I have found it impossible to lock the lever, but like you I thought it was tight enough.

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
Thanks for your suggestion I’ll try it tomorrow . I have found it impossible to lock the lever, but like you I thought it was tight enough.
Cheers Pennine your suggestion did work thank you. I could just about click it to the right when it was on its side!

Jax

Apr 12, 2020
Sussex
It is hard it took me 10 minutes to click it on this time. Surely this is a design fault and should be modified. Thanks for the tip.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Im guessing itll get easier the more times you do it, and I think id sooner have it a bit tight than fall out on the trail or let water in.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
It gets easier after a few times of attaching, I took mine back when I first got it as I thought it was faulty.

I agree it’s not really a great design.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles